PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Soft Drink

pbrown
May 28th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Just for fun, what is your favorite soft drink?

Naumoff
May 28th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Diet Coke man,hey Patrick.:D

eliminator
May 29th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Sun-Drop, good stuff.

pbrown
May 29th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Sun-Drop, good stuff.

Okay I'll bite. What is Sun-Drop? Is this a regional thing? I'm in Cinci OH right now so could probably find it.

Naumoff
May 29th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Okay I'll bite. What is Sun-Drop? Is this a regional thing? I'm in Cinci OH right now so could probably find it.

It is similar to Mtn Dew. Sold mainly in the South.

Jerry Cowing
May 29th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Maybe you should have added Rootbeer to the list. That's my favorite.

RJacobsen
May 29th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Patrick, I noticed that you refered to the choices on your list as "soft drinks", when I lived in Montana they were called "Pop", now that I'm in California they are called "Soda", when we first moved here and asked for a Pop, we got some very strange looks, I'm curious about the rest of the country and what the proper word is. Anyone?

JeepSnake
May 30th, 2007, 05:22 AM
That's a good question, Rod!

Our running joke here in the South is that all soft drinks are generically referred to in conversation as "Coke." An example from conversation would be: "We rode up to Cheaha in the Cobra, and stopped at the camp store for a Coke and a candybar."

I know that Jeff Foxworthy makes a joke about us saying, "What kind of Coke you want?" However, I don't think I've ever heard that. I more typically hear, "What kind of drink you want?" (And, no, the word "do" is not used in that sentence.)

Other terms that are fading out in the South are "belly-washer" (the men in our family still use this, thank you very much!) and "sody-water" (i.e. "soda water" - my granddad used this a lot).

This is one of the things that most disturbs me about mass-media: the homogenization of America. So many of the unique regional characteristics in speech, food, customs, etc. are slowly passing away.

ralphscott
May 30th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Zach in East Tennesee all soft drinks are simply refered to as "cokes"

Ralph

weaver
May 30th, 2007, 05:47 AM
RC and a moon pie.

Alan

will butterworth
May 30th, 2007, 07:01 AM
a black doctor ,took boss to see him, 10 am sharp, danged if he didn,t come in with stethscope around neck with an rc and moon pie in his hand for breakfast.My boss kidded me for years about my black doctor.Will-alabama

Naumoff
June 1st, 2007, 12:41 AM
Soda in Southern Maryland.

This is one of the things that most disturbs me about mass-media: the homogenization of America. So many of the unique regional characteristics in speech, food, customs, etc. are slowly passing away.May 30th, 2007 01:10 AM

Yeah, when your teenagers come in trying to talk like a hip-hopper. They pic it up from kids at school as I block MTV on our TV. Then I block them from talking like that to me. They still speak English at this point. Thank God.:)

excelguru
June 4th, 2007, 08:24 AM
A&W Creme Soda... I'm addicted to that stuff.