PDA

View Full Version : '66 Vert Project

Brent
May 30th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Well you guys need to appreciate the clean, easy, nice fitting build of your Unique Kits. This is the flip side of a car build. Dirty, tough pain in the a$$. The '66 Mustang pro touring project is in high gear and I sure miss the Deluxe Pallet kit. First I disassemble the car to the bare body,sand and soda blast,order all new body parts, narrow the 9" housing, remove the front frame,expand the rear wheel tubs (soon), and fab up a torque arm. I cut out the bottom of the stock front and rear frame rails and shot a laser between them. (The stock version is a "uni-body style" not prepared for 500 hp and traction.) Then I cut out the floor pans and the seat platforms between them so the new frame could slide up into the slot and be completely welded to the car. To fit a 3" exhaust in the tunnel later I removed the center "vert" brace and it will be replaced with 3 crossmembers including the front torque arm mount.

This is what I have so far after 200 plus hours:
I will post more as I progress if everyone thinks it is appropriate here.

RJacobsen
May 30th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Cutting, cleaning, laser, welding, fabricating, this all sounds like normal stuff to me. ;) I'm sure the end result will be something fantastic Brent.

eliminator
May 31st, 2007, 05:19 AM
I am getting too old for all of that, good job Brent.

will butterworth
May 31st, 2007, 06:30 AM
this one is for the younger folks---looks good Brent, what powerhouse do you plan for the baby?Sure, this is a good place to keep us informed of your progress.Me and Cyrus worked on a 66 stang all summer one year, kept unibody,but we worked our butts off dragging it from one place to another.I got a hammer you can use. Will-alabama

Russ Dickey
May 31st, 2007, 09:00 AM
Brent:
Very nice! I am planning a similiar "g-force" style makeover to my '66 Mustang, so I will be anxious to see your updates as this project progresses!

Russ

Brent
May 31st, 2007, 11:21 AM
Rick, You are more fit than I am.

Russ, I will post as often as I can. Glad to hear you are doing the same.

Will, It is the same little 408" Windsor I built last year, AFR 185 CNC ported heads, Lunati roller valvetrain, Scat crank and rods, KB pistons, gapless rings, Wiand intake, MSD, main girdle, Milodon pan, and probably a Paxton Supercharger with an alcohol/water injection system. Should make 500 on the motor and ????? with 8-12 lbs of boost. C-4 trans, fully manual reverse valve body, and a 9" rear. Check out the polished billet Wilwood calipers

Thanks guys,

glenn
May 31st, 2007, 07:03 PM
looks good brent, Your really building this one from scratch. I'm playing with a 68 fastback, but i'm not nearly involved as you are. Still a slow process. Keep posting your progress and pics. I'm certainly interested. Take care Glenn

RJacobsen
May 31st, 2007, 10:02 PM
Brent, I'm wondering why you chose a C4 trans. I always thought they were too light duty for what your doing. Would a C6 or something aftermarket be better?

pbrown
June 1st, 2007, 12:08 AM
The C4 is plenty strong. There are a lot of drag racers beating on them every weekend. I have one in a 62 Falcon behind a 400+ HP 331 motor.

[Brent] Are you planning on a Mustang II front IFS kit? It looks that way after seeing your oil pan.

Naumoff
June 1st, 2007, 12:53 AM
Nice work Brent. Is the front clip going to flip up or is it going to be a conventional set up?

Brent
June 1st, 2007, 05:22 AM
I am glad you guys don't mind me posting this here. There are some Mustang forums but it is really about the people not the cars. I don't have a Unique anymore but I still feel attached here.

Thanks!

Patrick, You are correct. Heidt's Mustang II. It wont even come close to fitting my application but it can be modified to work. I ordered the 2" drop spindles and that only gets you back to the original ride height. I have to install a frame rail above the existing frame rail and after everything is welded in place remove the original frame.

Hey Tony, The front will appear stock from the outside. The hood will open as usual with hinges (no springs on the hinges) it is a GT350 style with the same scoop as the Cobra. The grill will be an aluminum '66 with fog lights, horse, and corral, stock bumpers etc. The goal is a "stock appearing" muscle car that will play with a new ZO6 all day......with the top down (-: Under the hood the shock towers will be removed and the firewall will be smoothed. The burgundy car below has the exact same set up and engine compartment but it is no lower than stock so the frame was left alone. My project has the front lower frame 3.5" from the ground.

Glenn, I just want a car as cool (or close) to a Cobra with 4 seats. I really don't know how this will work out but I have a pretty good idea and over 1000 pictures and drawings. The reason I chose a rusty inline 6 auto car was the fact that only the shell would be used and I would not want to cut up a rust free solid GT.

ralphscott
June 1st, 2007, 06:46 AM
All right Brent! My 72 Mach 1 needs that kind of frame. No more shimmy and shake just GO!

Too bad I am trying to keep it body wise stock. Glad to see you are into the project.

Ralph

Naumoff
June 1st, 2007, 03:26 PM
Brent,

Have you ever checked out Bill Parham's Falcon? It has a Windsor based stroker and no shock towers.

Brent
June 2nd, 2007, 06:57 AM
Tony,

I have seen Bill's Falcon. Very nice car!
That motor is a "Clevor". Windsor block and Cleveland heads.
The Cleveland has always had 2 problems. It has the weight of a big block and the runners were so large that the motor had to be turned pretty hard for them to really run. They do run well though. Kelly (bittentoo) had a very mild Cleveland in his orange car and it was very impressive. Not too many big blocks wanted to play with it. If you put that head on a Windsor you have the buzz capabilities of a Windsor and the flowing heads of a Cleveland. Good combo! Not far from a NASCAR plant.

I know he tried to play with it in front of Unique a few years ago and it was from curb to curb. Lots of power but he ran out of talent........I am kidding.......I am kidding. The car was beautiful, well detailed, and a bad &^%%$*&(.

will butterworth
June 4th, 2007, 11:29 AM
gonna be surprised at that 408 and set-up you got in it, looking good---keep us posted--nexyear homecoming?Will-alabama

will butterworth
June 6th, 2007, 07:12 AM
valve covers look exactly like ones Cyrus-Zach put on engine they built for my car.Have to get Cy or Zach to tell you what -how they built , all they told me was a 383 stroker. Has lot more than me and momma needs for our tooling around though.Will-alabama

Brent
June 21st, 2007, 05:09 AM
The housing is narrowed and the new Moser axles arrived last week.
The custom lower control arm/shock mount brackets for the rearend turned out nice. A friend at Evansville sheetmetal cut them out on a water jet machine. The torque arm is finished and everything is tacked together.
While waiting for the axles I decided to go with a smooth painted dash ILO of the factory dash pad. So I shaved all of the pad supports and mounting hardware off of the top.

At least something is going back IN the car. After all of the carnage there is nothing left of it.

Naumoff
June 21st, 2007, 05:15 AM
Smoothing out the dash should look nice. Are you going to put a rollbar in?

eliminator
June 21st, 2007, 05:45 AM
Keep them coming!

Intresting stuff!

bittentoo
June 21st, 2007, 06:36 AM
Sweeeeettttttt!!!!!!!

Brent
June 21st, 2007, 07:20 AM
Tony,

Something like this.
It will bolt in and be chrome, however, the braces will come forward not backward so the bars are nowhere near my girls heads.

Jeff 427
June 21st, 2007, 11:21 AM
Lots of progress.................. with fantastic planning and of course great
results!!!!

Keep the pictures coming!

pgermond
June 21st, 2007, 02:58 PM
Brent,

It looks like it is coming along very well! I've been out of the loop for a few weeks (traveling) so I'm catching up on things. You have waaay more ambition than most :)

Naumoff
June 21st, 2007, 03:02 PM
Should look good.

ralphscott
June 21st, 2007, 06:36 PM
Wow Brent the suspension/drivetrain really looks hi-tech. I am very much impressed.

Ralph

Brent
June 22nd, 2007, 05:11 AM
Thanks guys.

The next part is the watts link and a bolt in torque arm mount. The watts link is going to be a challenge. Trying to make everything and just buy the heim ends.
Will see how it goes and let you know Monday.

Put the car on the ground last night..........32" from the ground to the bottom of the hood......From the oil pan to the top of the air cleaner (lowest drop base avail. just like Justin's) 32 1/4"
Oh well.....I wanted to cut that junk Milodon pan in pieces anyway.

Slither
June 22nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
Incredible... the fabrication skills of some folks really amazes me.

Impressive:D!!! Great job Brent.

Brent
June 22nd, 2007, 09:28 AM
Hey Paul,
I hope all is well with the rebuild of your home. Still thinking about you and your family.

Thank you for the compliment, however, I am the grunt on this project. A very good friend of mine owns a chassis shop (Mat Wright @ BRC Racecrafts)
He is the brains and methods to this project. I just do what I am told.

This is a project I could NEVER do without someone like him. I am very lucky.
Credit will go to whom credit is due.

Thanks

Slither
June 22nd, 2007, 08:57 PM
Hey Brent, things are proceding, albeit slowly, but moving forward little by little:o. We've started with the cottage, as it is a smaller, more manageable project. So, it will get us out of the FEMA trailer faster:). After this it will seem like a mansion:eek:!

We got the roof dried in a day or so ago, and all the metal exept one piece on one side of it (simple gable roof). I hope to have it done in a day or two, then get the housewrap on and most of the windows in (impact rated windows).

Thanks for thinking of us. If I ever get back up to Terre Haute, I'll look you up on the way. Missed you at the Homecoming...

Brent
June 26th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Small change of plans.
The shock/control arm mounts stand so far off the back of the housing the Watts link would need to be spaced back a bunch to clear everything. Instead a full width panhard bar and now making a anti-roll bar assy for the top of the housing. Things are getting pretty tight back there, just a few more bars.
The front torque arm mount is finished...Now just the antiroll assy and we can sit it back on the ground to start the front suspension. The front will get interresting to say the least. A new frame rail above the existing to get the ride height correct.

traveler
June 26th, 2007, 08:13 AM
I wish I knew enough about cars to build something like this . If I did I would most likely have a garage full .

ralphscott
June 26th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Wow Nice change Brent. Those shocks look like a tight fit. Nice engineering.

Ralph

eliminator
June 27th, 2007, 05:27 AM
One thing for sure it's not going anywhere, good beefy stuff. Should handle anything you want to power it with.

daveg
June 28th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Brent,

Great to see you working on the car. As I mentioned, I am doing a '69 vert as well (must be a Cobra owner thing). Nothing like the fabrication you are doing - more just updating, maintence thing. I won't rule out more in the future but I am not the cutter/welder you are. Wife is loving driving it, though, so I have more excuses to get out in the Cobra.

One site I have liked during my restore is below:

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/

All builders of the old cars - questions - thoughts - they would love your project.

Posting some pictures Gerry Hagel took when he was up with his Cobra....

Brent
August 10th, 2007, 07:38 AM
I love the '69 body style. May be the coolest stang ever.

Well the front suspension is finished and the front sheetmetal is mocked up. Took 2 weeks to design and fabricate a forward tilt hood assy. I have to run a cowl scoop for engine clearance and I only like them if they go all the way back to the windshield. The hood raises,rolls forward 11", then stands up to clear the grill.
All of the holes in the firewall and existing frame have been welded shut and smoothed. Next is replace both rear quarters, wheel tubs, and trunk floor.

The file is too large so you can check the cardomain link below if you want to see it.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2659000-2659999/2659961_23_full.jpg

ralphscott
August 10th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Looking good Brent. 1 piece fiberglass frontend I bet that was a humdinger to get supported so you can flip it and tilt it so it clears. Susan or the girls pick the color yet or is that a choice for a family caucus?!

Take care

Ralph [;)]

Brent
August 10th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Hey Ralph,
The hood,valance, and fenders are all seperate. Just the hood tilts forward.
They all have black primer on them so they look like one piece. I guess the fit and finish is ok if you thought they were all one piece. (-:

Naumoff
August 10th, 2007, 02:04 PM
It is looking good Brent.

How high does the cowl scoop have to be? I like them only if they are not to big and look proportional to the rest of the car.
But from what I see so far I think what ever you do will look great.

Brent
August 11th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Tony, I could not agree more. I have fought the idea of a scoop from day one but I just do not have a choice at this point. I am having VFN make a fiberglass cowl scoop for me without a center body line and with rolled edges to match the contour of the fenders and wheel opening roll. It will be 57" long so I can cut and cut until it fits right. Or throw it away (-:

We shall see.

Brent
August 15th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Removed everything and treated with POR 15 rust preventer.
Drivers quarter and outer wheel house are finished.
Now on to the passenger side and the trunk floor.
Hope to have everything welded,smoothed and the cell mounted before the weekend. Anxious to sit it on the floor for the first time in 1.5 years.

bittentoo
August 21st, 2007, 12:57 PM
Very nice Brent!!!

That shop is way to clean.......

Brent
August 22nd, 2007, 08:31 AM
Do you think I will look good cruising with my "Don Ho" shirt on ????

The new wheel houses are spaced apart and tacked in. Kept the stock lip and even the notch for the spare tire so everything should look stock when finished out. Everything fit tight with no gaps. The rear valance will be welded in and smoothed to the quarter panels so everything was treated with POR 15 first.

Fuel cell and battery mount next.

will butterworth
August 24th, 2007, 07:41 AM
shop might too clean for project like this.I think, among us, this little mustang is being prepped for some serious launches.Will-alabama

Brent
September 7th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Will, nah just a cruiser. ;-)

The new quarters are welded on, new trunk floor, the fuel cell and battery mount are finished, the old convertible top was installed to see how much modification was needed for the top to lay down completely with the new wheel tubs. It needed major room. Cut out the top of the tubs and fabricated a new piece that matches the angle of the top in the down position. Everything works great now.

Next is new front floorpans and stiffen the inner rockers with some steel plate.

I am starting to hate old cars.

pbrown
September 7th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Brent,

What battery mount is that? I have a different Optima mount that I'd like to replace.

Brent
September 8th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Hey Patrick,

The mount is from Detroit Speed.

http://www.detroitspeed.com/productpages/indproduct/electricalprod/battery_mounts_group_51_prod.htm

Brent

clayfoushee
September 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Brent,

Your Mustang project is looking very sweet. Obviously, I'm not one bit surprised at the first-class work.

Cheers, my friend.:cool:

brfutbrian
September 8th, 2007, 07:01 PM
I am starting to hate old cars.

doesnt look like you have much old car remaining. is it going to make it to homecoming in may? its come a long way this year. looks great. later brian

eliminator
September 10th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Talking about re-engineering a Mustang!!!!

Looks great, Going to be a really nice car.

Brent
September 10th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Clay, Brian, and Rick, thanks a lot.

Clay, cheers sounds good. I hope we meet again someday.

Rick, Re-engineering is about right. No wonder you see very few of these cars in nice shape and even fewer with performance modifications. They were made to leak, rust, and generally fall apart.

Brian, I hope to join the fun next year but I doubt the car will even be painted by then. I will need to see if my date is still interested in me (-:
besides I have the coolest shirt to wear now thanks to Kelly and Jodina!!!!

pgermond
September 10th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Brent,

Amazing! It appears it's coming along great. I would love to do a project of that magnitude sometime - I definitely have the time, however, I have neither space nor the skills required. You are quite the craftsman and perfectionist.

Brent
October 26th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Been a while for an update due to the front suspension s.n.a.f.u. The Heidt's suspension for a '66 Mustang won't allow for the ride height I wanted nor will it allow for a tire as wide as I wanted so......
The front frame was raised
the cross member halved and narrowed
the rack and pinion was cut and narrowed
the oil pan was shortened and the pan notch made deeper
custom motor mounts and trans mount
new front floor pans
new front torque boxes welded to steel plated inner rockers

Everything is ok now so on to the steering and making some new inner fenders to cover up the suspension. Starting to resemble a car again.

Fun Fun Fun

ralphscott
October 26th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Taking shape Brent!! Where did you get those valve covers? Did you fabricate them?

Ralph

Brent
January 24th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Been a while since I posted an update. The holidays sure slow things down.

Notched and filled the frame to accommodate the exhaust system. Ground clearence is at a minimum. Also installed tubing into the frame rails to run the fuel, brake, and battery lines through.

The inner fenders needed to be removed to fit the larger motor, however, the larger tires and wheels required the inner fenders to be moved in for turning radius. Mat Wright made some very cool custom inner fenders out of steel that will be completely welded and smoothed to the existing body.

Finished the front torque arm mount and added a little safety bracing just in case. (-: Everyone wanted a picture of teh suspension out of hte car to get an idea of how the torque arm assy works. You can see the anti roll assy on top of the housing to keep body roll to a minimum.

The custom headers are complete so we loaded the car on a trailer and took it to Performance Exhaust to have a custom stainless steel exhaust system made.

The exhaust was made with all mandrel bent stainless steel tubing, 18" stainless Magnaflow mufflers, stainless hangers, and crossover pipe. The exhaust is removed and completely tig welded using stainless rod. The welds are almost flush and the entire system should polish out nice.

Finally home again after 8 months at BRC Racecrafts. Every seam and weld on the car is sealed with POR 15 and will receive 3M seam sealer. Now it is time to build the paint booth.She is scheduled for paint in April. We will see?????

The framing and plastic part of the paint booth is finished. After the body work is finished and everything is clean again the air intake and exhaust systems will be added. I am going to take care of the underside of the car, engine compartment, dog house, etc. Then I will reassemble the car and DA it to bare metal with 180 and take it to the painter for some color. I am going to send it to the painter on a cart so I can have all of the suspension parts at home to paint and coat while the car is gone. We all know how painters are so I should have more than enough time (-:

Have fun!

ralphscott
January 24th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Really excellent Brent! Did you ever imagine that this project would ever grow like this?

Love to see it first hand.

Ralph

Naumoff
January 24th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Very nice Brent.

I like your traction Bar.
http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1360&d=1201196292

Master
January 25th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Guy's I stopped by bent's house this week and checked out his ride. What a transformation! As you can tell by the photo's this is not your average Mustang, it looks the same from the outside with the exception of the BIG wheels. It ends there, everything under the skin has been beefed up, modifyed, rerouted,reworked, if I could think of some more RE words I would list them. It is a piece of art work that is really coming together. There is no doubt that it will be in many magazines.:cool:

Brent
January 25th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Guys that means a lot coming from people like you with the high level of cars you all have.

Ralph,
No, I never figured it would be the project it has been. Everything I do leads to another thing that needs to be done. Mat at the racecar shop is very picky and extremely talented at what he does. If I make pieces for the car that he does not approve of he will critique them and tell me to make them again. Scott was able to meet him on Tuesday and see a shop full of really nice stuff he was working on. Luck to have a friend like that. Susan is happy I am not at the shop 6 days a week now.

Thanks again

Jeff 427
January 25th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Brent,
Man I love to see work like this!!!! Job well Done!

Brent
January 26th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks Jeff!

eliminator
January 28th, 2008, 05:34 AM
"Do you think I will look good cruising with my "Don Ho" shirt on ???? "

A little facial hair and some glasses and a special Kelly Shirt and we have Boyd Blessinger . Mid West Style Hot Rod guy.

I can see it now as you cruise the drive in's in the Evansville area with Susan and the kids.

With that shirt, "Priceless".

Brent
January 28th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Rick,
Gee thanks.....I think Boyd is a crooked, errogant, hack, and a jerk. Met him at a show a couple of years ago. Don't care to meet him again.

I would rather look like Kelly in the Don Ho shirt. He is my idol. I may even paint my car orange with white stripes. (-;

eliminator
January 28th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I would agree, it was the look and not the person......

You know John Force wears those Kelly shirts too!!!!

bittentoo
January 28th, 2008, 01:46 PM
You all just wish you were as good looking and a fashion statement as me!!!!

So who bought dinner?

Justin Upchurch
January 28th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Brent,

Since you suffer from toyitus and will obviously part with the car after the magazine shoots, is it too early to claim dibbs on the car?

All kidding aside, it looks fantastic. There is a 65' notch down here with same build theme, if I can pull the pictures off my phone, I will e-mail them to you.

Justin