PDA

View Full Version : Front Bumper Rubber Grommets

Aggressor
August 8th, 2007, 10:34 PM
What is the best approach to installing the rubber grommets that dress-out the bumper mounts on the front of the car. The fiberglass at the 4 holes appears to be too thick compared to the groove in the grommet. Should the grommets be cut and glued to the body paint? The grommets that I have were purchased from Finishline.

Geary

eliminator
August 9th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Most of the grommets have to be fitted prior to painting, you have to make the fiberglass fit the grommet.

Then there is the case that the holes in the body don't match the mounting hole in the frame, (off center). I have one that has been bothering me since my build. I am getting ready to address that problem and will post my pictures on the solution.

JeepSnake
August 9th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Mike Del uses rubber fender washers on the front bumper tubes. I've tried them, but they keep curling up on me (of course, I have not glued them to the body with adhesive, either).

You are correct - the Finishline grommets appear to be set up for the original aluminium bodies. What were they - something like 0.060" thick? Get Alan to tell you about the time they were reworking an original and someone put waves in the bodywork by leaning against it during lunch break!

Naumoff
August 9th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Geary,
Alan just told me to cut them and glue them. I asked him in Carlilse when I saw that they had put them on the raffle car. The fiberglass is very thick there. Since my car is black and the mounting rods I powder coated black
I decided not to worry about the ones for my car. The rear grommets are already cracking and I need to replace those.

I will be interested in what you do Rick.

dmswann
August 9th, 2007, 10:22 AM
The best way to install is to NOT TO INSTALL. At last year's homecoming, I talked to ????? (terrible with names) from Conneticut who had the best looking rubber trim around his bumper post. He use black rubber washers that he got at HQ. They were like 1.5 - 2" in diameter with a 0.5" hole in center. They looked even better than the standard rubber gromets. I'm sure Alan can give you his name and e-mail address.

Aggressor
August 9th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I don't really mind the look without the grommets but I it seems that this area is a source of rattles and bumps when driving on the Commonweath's (PA) highways. The grommets should provide some stability.

I appreciate the feedback.

Tony - I studied your images of the 2007 Unique display at Carlisle. Your high resolution shots lend themselves to high magnification and study.

I think I'll try cutting one up this weekend for trial fitting.
Again thanks to all- Geary

Jeff 427
August 10th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Geary,

I bought the ones from Finishline and cut, shaped and sanded to fit the openings...... held in by friction fit.

PhillipM
August 11th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Cobra Restorers list 2 types of bumper grommets, one for the thin aluminum body cars and another for the thick body cars. Does anyone know if the thicker types will work on our cars?