PDA

View Full Version : New guy here. . .

JPotter67
August 10th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I just found this site via a link from Club Cobra. What a great place! I just recently decided to stop shoveling money into the bottomless hole of `60's musclecars, dealing with all of their inherent rust issues and so forth. I have wanted to build a Cobra since my 20's, but those were my drag racing years, and I could never do both then, at least in my mind. I still have the sales brochure kit I ordered from Unique in the early 90's. After discovering my latest iron project had become a victim of the tinworm, I started selling off all of my vintage bits, except for my 428 CJ and 4 speed. When I started researching Cobra companies, of course the first ones I looked for where Unique, ERA, and Contemporary. I was disappointed to see Contemporary had been gobbled up by those FFR guys. It was a good kit. Unique and ERA are the only ones I really consider good kits, factoring out the Kirkhams which my modest salary won't support, and of course the Shelby CSX models. I had always heard about the Weavers and how they would bend over backwards practically to help the buyers of their products. I believe that it is this reason that they are still in the business 30 years later. As has been mentioned before, the difference in cost VS kit, the ERA really doesnt measure up to the Unique. Also, since Unique is only about 5 or 6 hours from my south Mississippi home, it makes even more sense. I haven't made my purchase yet, but I hope to in the coming months. I hope to become part of the Unique family, and do look forward to making my first factory visit, and after I take the jump, the homecomings as well. Thanks for making this great site possible. :shift:

weaver
August 10th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will find it helpfull during the build process.

Alan

wlewis
August 10th, 2007, 01:32 PM
If you visit the factory, you'll buy one!

Naumoff
August 10th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Welcome Potter. I had the same short list. You won't regrete buying a Unique. I love mine.

Aggressor
August 10th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Gather up all of your questions and start posting. Then visit Unique at your earliest opportunity and you will be impressed. Good people producing high quality products, delivered on time, for the amount that you contracted for. No hidden charges - no ugly surprises.
Award winning cars.

-Geary

JPotter67
August 10th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the welcome, and believe me, I will have some questions. I should have enough put away to get the pallet kit by spring or maybe early summer, but I may hold out for the DPK. Really a good deal when you think about it. I have almost everything I need for my 428, except for the actual rebuild parts, rings, bearings, etc. I have a good toploader, so some of the expensive stuff is already bought. This will truly be a treat to not have to rebuild/restore old junkyard parts to have something special. Thanks again for the great welcome...

JeepSnake
August 11th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Hey man, you've got a huge part of the project underway already! Seriously - if you can build your own engine and your own trans, you've got two of the three most expensive items required to complete a Deluxe Pallet Kit whipped. (The third is the paint job.)

Welcome to the board!

pgermond
August 11th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Welcome.
You have come to the right place if you plan on building a Unique. Lots of expertise here to support your project. One of those places where if you don't want to know - don't ask :)

JPotter67
August 12th, 2007, 12:10 PM
I just read a post here where a Unique car took the Run and Gun. This really helps with the decision process, because Unique car just looks more correct. I had wondered how it would do in a semi-competition situation. Common sense tells you that the IRS would work better, I just wondered about the durability of it, as the rears are of course, older parts. I'm a drag racer, but I'd like to try my hand at some track events or at least some auto-X, and I want the best foundation to start with. Like I said earlier, my car will be 428 CJ 4 speed powered, so it will be a little more nose heavy than the smaller powerplants. But, for me at least, it's the only way to have a Cobra.

ralphscott
August 12th, 2007, 03:05 PM
To lighten up the front end you can use aluminum heads, intake, and waterpump that will get you within 50 pounds of a 351. I have had no durability issues and I run a 428 with a bunch of HP

Ralph

Aggressor
August 12th, 2007, 03:27 PM
On the track with the standard supension and front/rear antisway bars the car rolled just a bit more than I anticipated at first. You'll find that once it goes through it's roll maneuver the car just hunkers down and digs in. You then find yourself becoming very confident and your right foot keeps going deeper into the load pedal.
My car is 99% street driven so the standard setup is fine.

On your comment above- The "Look" is what initially sold most of us on our Unique puchase.

-Geary

will butterworth
August 13th, 2007, 07:53 AM
come on in ,welcome, make yourself at home, sharp bunch of guys here and they will help you.So, come on and sit a while.Will-alabama

Naumoff
August 13th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I just read a post here where a Unique car took the Run and Gun. This really helps with the decision process, because Unique car just looks more correct. I had wondered how it would do in a semi-competition situation. Common sense tells you that the IRS would work better, I just wondered about the durability of it, as the rears are of course, older parts. I'm a drag racer, but I'd like to try my hand at some track events or at least some auto-X, and I want the best foundation to start with. Like I said earlier, my car will be 428 CJ 4 speed powered, so it will be a little more nose heavy than the smaller powerplants. But, for me at least, it's the only way to have a Cobra.

No worries.
Get a Auburn or a posi lock and and a new half shafts for the jag rear. If you get knock off wheels you will have to get the rear narrowed and you will get the custom half shafts. Unique will hook you up and Butch Capp builds the rears for them.
Car handles great and traction is way, way better compared to what I hear from other Cobra kit owners. My engine is not short on power.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/medium/1132.JPG

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/18/wdcr_06_6_bp_001_sized.jpg