PDA

View Full Version : Totally New..

tvick66
August 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Hello all,
Discovered this site while researching Cobra Kit Manufacturers. DIY did a couple of shows a while back using the Unique Kit and with all I have seen and read so far I am impressed. It is nearly time to start working on my mid-life crisis mobile and plan on making a visit to the factory in the near future even though I know it will only fuel the fire:D

From reading the posts it seems like a good community here, hopefully soon I will have something to contribute.

ralphscott
August 19th, 2007, 04:55 AM
That was my car on DIY.

Ralph

Naumoff
August 19th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Welcome Vick.

You will definitely enjoy the build and the ride.

TurnpikeBoy
August 19th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Hello all,
.......and plan on making a visit to the factory in the near future even though I know it will only fuel the fire:D

And as close as you are to them, the fire is gonna rage until you have one sitting in your garage.

Jus do it - you won't regret anything you will have done. :)

clayfoushee
August 19th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Welcome. I don't think I've ever met anyone who was unhappy with the choice.

davebetts
August 19th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Make yours UNIQUE MOTORCARS, you'll be very happy! We are and it's been 4 years so far. Could honestly say, if I had to, I'd unquestionably chose the Unique car all over again.

weaver
August 19th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I went past Pelham this morning on a return trip after moving my son Chris to Montevallo University. I would be glad to show you around when you get ready.

Alan

Jim Harding
August 19th, 2007, 01:45 PM
While you may get the impression that we're all a little biased toward Unique Motorcars, the truth is our overall satisfaction with all aspects of our individual choices. Besides the very best in quality and workmanship that goes into each and every car, the family like feeling you gain from the entire Weaver family is a bonus you receive when you purchase one of their cars.
My first experience with them was when I became the third owner of a then 20 year old car. I had many questions that were gladly fielded by them and I never got the impression that I was bothering them. They truly stand behind what they sell. You won't be disappointed.

Aggressor
August 19th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Study the Uniques and their owners and you'll be impressed with the car quality and this fine group.

-Geary

pgermond
August 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said...... other than you being so close - what has taken you so long?!?! :D

tvick66
August 19th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I did expect a little bias, in fact I was sort of hoping to find that, it's usually a sign of positive experiences:D But having spent some time on Cobra Country and reading the forums of the other kit manufacturers it seems clear that Unique has both a great product and service to match. I looked at Kirkham, FFR, and Backdraft, and ruled out the first two pretty quickly. The BDR kit is a longer wheel base and uses BMW front and rear ends but they are made in South Africa and they don't sell to the public, only through dealers. The fact that Unique is here in Alabama and that the Weavers are active members on the forum is just too much for the competition.

Alan,
It hopefully won't be too long before I call, we have to travel by Gadsden to see both sets of families so I'll just need to work out a Friday or Monday and make a short detour. I hope your son likes Montevallo, we have interviewed quite a few graduates from there and hired most of them. The only one we didn't was a lack of experience compared to the other applicants but we hope to find something else to get him on the team.

pgermond,
Never really considered a kit car or replica until a friend showed me the DIY show where they built Ralph's car. I had always thought they required a donor car and years worth of time to complete. I used to have an '87 Dodge Shelby Charger and it was the most fun driving I have ever had so that started my interest in anything with Shelby's name. And since it has been twenty years since I've had any fun, it's time to be a kid again, if only for a couple of hours on the weekend! Plus the Cobra is so much better looking than that Turbo K car.

pgermond
August 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I looked at Kirkham, FFR, and Backdraft, and ruled out the first two pretty quickly. The BDR kit is a longer wheel base and uses BMW front and rear ends but they are made in South Africa....

Sounds like we took somewhat the same journey getting to Unique. I wanted the car to be period correct and to put the car together myself, in addition I didn't particularly care for a Mustang wrapped in fiberglass..... or spending all my kids inheritance ;)

Good luck on whatever decision you make.

PhillipM
August 19th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Go for it. You will not be disappointed. The Weavers build a great product and have the best customer service in the industry. I pick-up my Deluxe Pallet car in 11 days, 10 hrs, 48 min and 50, 49, 48, 47, 46, 45sec and counting.:D

will butterworth
August 20th, 2007, 07:27 AM
welcome, come on in and set a spell,these fellas will help you, tons of ability at your fingertips. Picked up pallet kit in august drove car in christmas parade first of november.I winged it on a prayer, at best. It worked.Welcome, come on in and make yourself at home.Will-alabama

ralphscott
August 20th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Just for the record Ralph built Ralph's car not DIY.
It was an experience that is beyond compare. I loved it and want to build another. The DIY timetable for the car was rough as I had to meet their filming schedule of the assembly. Everything had to be assembled; then dissasembled, so they could assemble it for the show; then I had to disassmble it; and put it back together in a permanent manner. No Joke! As an example, down to the headerbolts. I had to work with them so that the headerbolts would finger tighten the headers to the heads for filming demonstration. As the show reflects it was done in stages as was my work. the only break I had in the schedule was when the body was getting painted and that is when I did the chassis and running in the engine to find leaks and try to get the carburation close. I had some great help and advice from Butch Capps and Dan Fowler. I am very proud of the final product I think it is the best work I have ever done. I learned a ton! Hey I even got Kudos from my dad! I did write a long documentation of the build, everything step by step. I provided a copy to Alan to review to see what he thought of it and if he wanted to use it for a future Unique manual...its been a few years since I gave it to Alan I wanted him to technically proof it so I didn't steer someone wrong.

I hope you buy one and build it, I believe you will enjoy the build, if this is possible, more than driving the car.

Ralph

Aggressor
August 20th, 2007, 05:45 PM
A few thoughts:

Take a notebook or legal pad and put it where it's very handy so you can jot down the many questions that you'll come up with. Address them with the Weavers or this forum and get your answers upfront.

You said that you sensed some bias - actually it is a lot of bias mixed with an awful lot of pride in our cars and accomplishments. Some cruise, some race, any many show their Uniques on a regular basis.

You'll find when you get your Unique you become the local "Cool Car Guy" and will be known in your community.

- Geary

ralphscott
August 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM
"You'll find when you get your Unique you become the local "Cool Car Guy" and will be known in your community.

- Geary"

Geary has got it right.

They hang out car windows as they go by --waving yelling thumbs up etc. It is amazing it really does put a huge smile on your face. You also get those who go by as fast as they can to show that their car has got something -- which says a lot. Fun

Ralph

Aggressor
August 21st, 2007, 10:06 PM
The first ride in my 1991 build was a warm sunny day. My 14 year old son was along for the ride. We were both totally amazed at the number of positive waves , salutes, comments, etc.. The day's highlight was a stunning blonde wearing a small bikini top hanging out of a car window to her navel to photograph us at speed. She was literally hanging way out at 70 MPH on interstate 81 just north of Harrisburg. I do believe my son thought I was a god that day(one of the lesser deities)

As for being known - local strangers will routinely walk up and say - I know you. Aren't you the guy with the blonde and the Cobra? (different blonde -my wife) They don't remember my name but do remember the car and her.

-Geary

ralphscott
August 22nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
What about Parades!! The high point of local parades is the cars and they love the Lil Cobra. As I recall Will drove his in the stadium at 'Bama.

Ralph

tvick66
August 22nd, 2007, 08:12 PM
Well, the first decision has been made, the kit will definately be a Unique:D

Thanks for setting me straight Ralph, I might be pestering you to publish that manual!

And Geary, excellent tip, I have a list of questions that I will take with me when I go to the factory and will use everyone here after that.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's comments!

weaver
August 23rd, 2007, 06:34 AM
We are just an hour up I59 so go ahead and plan a trip, we have a couple of DPKs that will be delivered soon that you can see.

Alan

will butterworth
August 23rd, 2007, 08:05 AM
will get by to see ya,ll next wednesday, I need a couple screws that go in the windshield -thats in the middle--bracket that screws to body-windshield. Littlr-bitty screw,hard as devil to get going.This old motor vibrates and shakes everything loose, popping and carrying on.
Yeah Vic--you gonna get attention, everybody,s going to want your butt, thumbs up, what kind of corvette is that stuff,wanna race that thang,wind it up--I like to parade, whew, everybdy loves your car, wal-mark, get boat horn or two--real loud--blast awaytwelve dollars , throw candy, the best one--joan passes out dog treats to dogs on parade route, folks love you for that.Come on man, you gonna have fun--love it.Kicker---folks walk by all ,em z06,s , makes them mad as heck too, to see your car.Will-alabama----o yeah---is it real?get ready for that one.

ralphscott
August 23rd, 2007, 09:46 AM
Great to have you on board I hope can get my build document up it is long But I do need to make sure that I am not steering you wrong in the stuff I've done so the rest of the forum needs to chime in. I want to post it on my blog.

Ralph

ralphscott
August 24th, 2007, 01:41 PM
OK build document up on my blog. Table of Comments, Reference Information, and Assembly in four parts. A little over 100 pages. Comments please and tell me where I went wrong...

Ralph

Naumoff
August 25th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Hey Ralph,

Do they sell copies of the DIY show?

ralphscott
August 25th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Tony I don't know. I got a set of tapes but I don't have the rights to copy them and distribute them. I runs pretty regularly on DIY though..

Ralph

tvick66
August 27th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Hello Tony,
I could not find the show listed for sale but here is the link to the episodes that were aired. As you drill down to each segment there are are some Real Player videos that do show at least some of the footage. Most of them are dedicated to building the engine but there is a pretty good piece on the factory tour and frame build.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_bkc/

Naumoff
August 28th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Thanks guys. I will check it out.

ralphscott
August 28th, 2007, 02:11 PM
FYI Guys The engine that Butch is building on DIY is his own. Mine was already built before I ordered the kit and I already had my toploader, from butch, and lakewood bellhousing. But the one in the chassis and the car is mine funny story about painting the engine over night from blue to black to meet the schedule...

Ralph

eliminator
August 29th, 2007, 05:57 AM
And the toploader in the DIY episode is in my car. Bought it from Butch after the show was done.