PDA

View Full Version : Girling brake and clutch Master cyl's questions

davids2toys
August 20th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Where I can buy all new caps for my brakes and clutch MC...I have girling MC's. They have this orange crust on the outside and on the inside and on the rubber boot, I have no idea what this stuff is, but it does not look to good!
If I have girling MC's, what should and what could I run for fluids to get the most hi performance but with no problems down the road. can I run the same in both brakes and clutch? I have a slave cyl in the clutch line.
Because I have girling, can this tell me anything about by braking system or clutch system..i am a new cobra owner and have a lot to learn

http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/images/misc/progress.gif

rdorman
August 21st, 2007, 06:12 AM
I buy from True Choice and you can find them on the web. Get the master cylinder extensions to hold more fluid. I use Wilwood 570 and you can run it in both.

davids2toys
August 28th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I buy from True Choice and you can find them on the web. Get the master cylinder extensions to hold more fluid. I use Wilwood 570 and you can run it in both.
Would you know Which motive bleeder should I get that will screw on to the girling MC"s?

rdorman
August 29th, 2007, 08:25 AM
I beleive you are refering to the power bleeder? Never used one, never needed one in 27 years of bleeding systems.

'Bench' bleed the master cylinders once you rebuild them. Bolt them up, take a short 3/8" x 24 premade brake line and cut in half, bend to attach to the MC and down into the reservior... pump pedal slowly until there is no air.

Attach lines to calipers. Use bleeder bottles, bleed one side of the car, front and rear at the same time, bleed other side. Inboard then outboard bleeders if you have them. 'Speed' bleeders can be nice. NONE of this pump it up, hold the pedal with all your might and crack the bleeders stuff please! Use your hand on the pedal. Common mistake is to crack the bleeders to much... only enough allow fluid to escape... idealy, you will feel a slight resistance when pushing on the pedal with your hand, but only a little.

http://www.truechoice.com/searchprods.asp

Tons of ways people recommend bleeding... this has worked always.

davids2toys
August 29th, 2007, 08:43 AM
I beleive you are refering to the power bleeder? Never used one, never needed one in 27 years of bleeding systems.

'Bench' bleed the master cylinders once you rebuild them. Bolt them up, take a short 3/8" x 24 premade brake line and cut in half, bend to attach to the MC and down into the reservior... pump pedal slowly until there is no air.

Attach lines to calipers. Use bleeder bottles, bleed one side of the car, front and rear at the same time, bleed other side. Inboard then outboard bleeders if you have them. 'Speed' bleeders can be nice. NONE of this pump it up, hold the pedal with all your might and crack the bleeders stuff please! Use your hand on the pedal. Common mistake is to crack the bleeders to much... only enough allow fluid to escape... idealy, you will feel a slight resistance when pushing on the pedal with your hand, but only a little.

Sounds pretty good, also eliminateds the need to separate the back from the front by disconnecting the piston rod from the bias bar.
Still would be nice to have a constant fluid supply so you would not have to keep on refilling every 2 pump cycles...unless you have a peddle pumper and you stand at the engine compartment to keep refilling. Then you also would need a third person to moniter what condition the fluid coming out is and when to stop...now I am really thinking like a lazy man...lol!

rdorman
August 30th, 2007, 10:25 AM
..now I am really thinking like a lazy man...lol!

No. If that was true, you would just take it to a mechanic! LOL

davids2toys
August 30th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Good point...LOL

davids2toys
April 16th, 2008, 08:42 PM

Are you sure about the inboard first? I will be doing this soon.

rdorman
April 17th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Oops, sorry. Start furthest from the master cylinder.

davids2toys
April 17th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Oops, sorry. Start furthest from the master cylinder.
No problem, ok then, so on the pass side, go outboard then inbd, but on the drivers side, would I go inbd then outboard??

rdorman
April 21st, 2008, 07:48 AM
Just start on the outside and work your way in. Frankly, I have never had issues either way. I jack up one side of the car, bleed front and rear at the same time and then repeat for the other side. Crack the bleeder only just enough that fluid will come out, no more.

davids2toys
April 21st, 2008, 09:22 AM
Hey, lucky me, I have a lift!
Thanks for the info