PDA

View Full Version : New Google Maps

pbrown
October 16th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I've wanted to do this for a long time and it is finaly done. We now have a Google map that will show your location if you decide to add yourself. Look at the menu to the left side of the home page and give it a try.

Only registered users can see the map.

Jerry Cowing
October 16th, 2007, 04:54 PM
First two posts to the map are about as far apart as you can get unless you go to Alaska.

pbrown
October 16th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I'm seeing that users are all getting the same error message. You need to fill in the first two fields. The third (URL) field is optional.

ralphscott
October 16th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Pretty Cool!!

Thanks Patrick

Ralph Scott

Naumoff
October 16th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I'm on. Very nice.

RJacobsen
October 16th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Patrick, that’s awesome, its fun to see where everyone is located. And when I zoom in on yours in the satellite mode I think I see you barbecuing in the backyard.:D

pgermond
October 17th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Very cool stuff.... provides an interesting perspective :) Is there a prize for the least on either side of the Mississippi? ;)

will butterworth
October 18th, 2007, 06:30 AM
it.Where we stay,Good Patrick.Will-alabama

spd4me
October 19th, 2007, 02:41 PM
We loose more of our privacy everyday. You can go to google, enter your phone number in the search and it will pull up your name and address and a map how to get to your house. Not a good idea if you have young daughters. There's a place where you can have you number removed.
Bob

TAGCAVE
October 20th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Patrick,

Love the Google map additon to the forum.

Rodney

TurnpikeBoy
October 20th, 2007, 01:26 PM
We loose more of our privacy everyday. You can go to google, enter your phone number in the search and it will pull up your name and address and a map how to get to your house. Not a good idea if you have young daughters. There's a place where you can have you number removed.
Bob

Huh? If you're uncomfortable with this map, don't put a pin in Birmingham. There's no obligation - Patrick did it just for fun.

Relax, Bob - your daughters are utterly, absolutely safe on this forum. And to be honest, I don't know if FaceBook or MySpace or any of the others have Patrick's map.....but I kinda doubt it :).

-Roger

spd4me
October 20th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I think the map is great. The point I was making is there's more info on us out there than we know about. Your right, I do need a pin in Birmingham. After all, there probably half a dozen unique cars here.
Bob

RJacobsen
October 23rd, 2007, 10:50 PM
Patrick, I have been checking the map the last 2 nights to see who might have added pins but I now don't see any pins at all. Is it me or the map?:confused:

weaver
October 24th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Same here.

Alan

pbrown
October 24th, 2007, 09:29 AM
No pins for me neither. I'll get it fixed.

pbrown
October 24th, 2007, 10:38 AM
It's fixed. It turns out that there is a bug. If a member enters the & character in the image field, it breaks. I had to delete Stan's pin.

Stan - you need to reenter your pin but without the & in the image URL.

pgermond
October 24th, 2007, 06:56 PM
It looks as though there won't be any images posted until the bug is fixed - every URL that I use for images contains the "&" sign. :(

pbrown
October 24th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Images can be placed in the member galleries and linked to via the Direct Link Code.

pgermond
October 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Images can be placed in the member galleries and linked to via the Direct Link Code.

Can you explain?

pbrown
October 24th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Go to the gallery and view any image. Below the image will be a field called Direct Link Code:. Copy the contents of that field and paste it into the image field in the Google Map.

pgermond
October 24th, 2007, 07:46 PM
"Ah, I see", said the blind man.

Thanks!!!!

RJacobsen
October 24th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Phil. "Down in front please" your blocking my pin.;) I might have to move to Nevada

pgermond
October 24th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Rod,

Sorry - I'll see what I can do :)

RJacobsen
October 24th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Phil, you would think this would be a problem on the other side of the country and not here.

RJacobsen
October 24th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Phil, I moved my pin to Placerville. you know, above the smog. Now I'm blocking you a little :o sorry. anyway check out the cool image of my car.:D:D

pgermond
October 25th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Now that is a custom. Believe it or not, there used to be one around town like that - it was silver metal flake, fender skirts, the works...... powered by a big block VW.

I was going to delete my entry to give you room, but I see you came up with an alternative. Yeah, who would think that would be an issue out here :confused:

RJacobsen
October 25th, 2007, 09:21 PM
A BIG Block VW???????:confused::confused:

Jim Harding
October 28th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Phil, I moved my pin to Placerville. you know, above the smog. Now I'm blocking you a little :o sorry. anyway check out the cool image of my car.:D:D

I guess I missed the point of this map. Is just sticking it in your home state close enough? :D

wlewis
October 30th, 2007, 10:25 AM
I tried to add my location to map, but don't understand the "URL of the image for the marker". What is that?

pbrown
October 30th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I tried to add my location to map, but don't understand the "URL of the image for the marker". What is that?

That allows you to add a photo of your car to the location. Look at what some of the others have done. You can leave it blank if you don't want to have a photo.

wlewis
October 30th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks Patrick, but it would not accept my pin marker without completing info in each of the boxes. I guess I'm just too computer challenged.
Walter

pbrown
October 30th, 2007, 04:50 PM
You anly need the fill in the first two boxes. The image box is optional.

wlewis
October 31st, 2007, 06:57 AM
Got it Patrick. I didn't see the box up at the top. Thanks.

Russ Dickey
October 31st, 2007, 09:16 AM
Patrick:
Does the image need to be a certain size? I am getting the dreaded red "X" for my image, and my URL doesn't contain the "&" character.

Russ Dickey
October 31st, 2007, 09:32 AM
Patrick:
Does the image need to be a certain size? I am getting the dreaded red "X" for my image, and my URL doesn't contain the "&" character.

Nevermind. I figured it out.

However, I couldn't figure out how to edit my previous post. Am I blind or is the "edit" button gone?

pbrown
October 31st, 2007, 04:17 PM
Nevermind. I figured it out.

However, I couldn't figure out how to edit my previous post. Am I blind or is the "edit" button gone?

The edit button is just to the left of the Quote button. I'll look into it if it's missing.

Russ Dickey
November 1st, 2007, 07:55 AM
The edit button is just to the left of the Quote button. I'll look into it if it's missing.

Patrick - wierd! I don't have the edit button. I've got these three:

- Quick reply
- Multi-quote this message

But no edit button. Is this something in my settings that I've screwed up?