PDA

View Full Version : Well, gotta ask....

TurnpikeBoy
November 11th, 2007, 07:42 PM
So - those oval vents/holes in the backside of the front wheelwells. What purpose do these serve, exactly? I'm supposing they're there just to let some air in, maybe for cooling, but can't help but think that would be short-circuited by the fender vents laying just inches away and at the same relative height. Plus, seems to me they would be a sure source of lots of dirt and grit thrown up by the front tires. Mine have been blocked off since the build, for those reasons. Looking at the car tonite I figured maybe you guys have something up your sleeves that I just ain't figgered out yet.

What you think? Open 'em up, or keep 'em shut off? Anybody see any difference, heat or cooling or ?

-Roger

pgermond
November 11th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I put sheet metal over mine when I built as well - just figured it was an opportunity to muck-up the engine compartment.

brfutbrian
November 11th, 2007, 08:33 PM
the only way i could get the drivers side louver in place was to slide it thru the hole in the fenderwell. the footbox on that side in an inch longer. think its probably a 50/50 split on open vs. closed. mine are open. later brian.

Slither
November 11th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Roger, you will find more discussion on this topic in the following thread. I, too, posed the same question a while ago, and the answers are there.

Good luck!

http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6502

pgermond
November 11th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Brian - I think he's referring to the oval cut-outs on the inside of the front wheel wells.

brfutbrian
November 11th, 2007, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=brfutbrian;78895]the only way i could get the drivers side louver in place was to slide it thru the hole in the fenderwell. QUOTE]

thats why the oval cutouts are there. the passenger side has the same cutout in it so it doesnt look funny. learned this after a disscusion with alan when i was building my car. later brian

TurnpikeBoy
November 12th, 2007, 04:19 AM
:) Ah - got it. Thanks, Paul, for the link to that thread. Clears things up some.

Seems we're about 50/50 on blanking it off or screening it over. Mebbe a winter task to frame up some screens and see if it helps. Probably would make people ask questions, anyway ;)

Thanks all.

-Roger

weaver
November 12th, 2007, 06:22 AM
I leave it open then cover it with aluminum gutter screen, it forces fresh air into the header area which can't hurt.

Alan

Naumoff
November 12th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I cut the one on the driver side even bigger. Makes it a lot easier to work in the master cylinders and I was able to install the M/C heat shield very easily. Made a large expanded aluminum screen and the engine compartment debris is not an issue. Rain, rocks, mud not seen in the engine compartment.

Jeff 427
November 12th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I put the aluminum panels in the engine compartment and also put aluminum mesh like what we use for the front brake cooler ducts for the engine vents between the aluminum panels and the fiberglass held in with button head stainless steel fasteners ..... makes for a nice clean look.

I also made up some covers from scrap aluminum to covers the vents to shield out water and debris if you get caught in some real bad weather, also held in with stainless steel fasteners.

Slither
November 13th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Pictures please, Jeff :D

Jeff 427
December 19th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Paul,

Here are some pictures on the vent covers that I found. Sorry about the delay. They are held in with (2) longer ss button head screws (not in picture) and ss nylock nuts. On the back is self stick closed cell foam to seal.

sllib
December 19th, 2007, 07:30 PM
It's a pity the wheel-well ducts aren't the same size as the front brake ducts. There's some nice after-market stuff available for them.

eliminator
December 20th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Good idea to close those up, unless you want all the road debris and water in your engine compartment.

eliminator
December 20th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Good idea to close those up, unless you want all the road debris and water in your engine compartment. Just run over a puddle of water and see what a mess it will make.

will butterworth
December 20th, 2007, 07:15 AM
right about that, gravel and road junk all up on the top of foot box, works its way down beside foot box and outside skin-wall--have to vacuum it out. Will-alabama