PDA

View Full Version : ford racing?

cal.cheesehead
November 14th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I'm looking at purchasing my 351 crate package through Ford racing performance. I'm interested in any feedback from anyone who uses their 351 package with 475 hp.Thanks

weaver
November 15th, 2007, 11:22 AM
In my opinion it would be a title nightmare in Ca using a new crate engine, I would find a early 351 W and have it built, no smog problems.

Alan

scott h
November 15th, 2007, 05:25 PM
titling won't be an issue if you get one of the first 500 exemptions, if no exemption then you must have all smog based on motor age. the exemptions go fast plan on being first in line Jan. 1 or you might not make it.

pgermond
November 15th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Just to second Scott's comment - if you get an SB100 number smog is not an issue. If you don't then you have to jump through the hoops with the engine year and smog accordingly. Lots of guys with FFR's and 5L motors with the computers, sensors, etc. to meet smog requirements.

cal.cheesehead
November 16th, 2007, 09:22 AM
So in each of your situations which route did you go. It appears that if I could get my hands on a 60fe that route is easier. Guys your help is greatly appreciated.

Stan
November 16th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I was at Specialty Sales in Benicia (CA) yesterday and while discussing several cobra kit cars on the lot the sales person told me that he had heard the SB100 numbers next year will be via LOTTERY. This was the first time I had heard this.

If this is true I would definitely go the route of a period correct engine and not hold out hope of getting one of the SB100 numbers. I believe this year all 500 numbers had been issued on the first business day at DMV.

Stan

pgermond
November 16th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I went the SB100 route in 2004 - SPCN #040. In my opinion it is the simplest way to go, and I never have to worry about it again. There has been a ton of discussion on Club Cobra on this subject, however, a lot of it is garbage - folks quoting the regulations incorrectly, jail house lawyers, and guys from other states who they think they have all the answers....... so take it with a grain of salt. Best thing to do - go down to DMV and talk to some one face-to-face.

Good luck. BTW - it is well worth the effort. Having one of these cars is hard to put into words :D

pgermond
November 16th, 2007, 06:40 PM
A Lottery has been discussed among enthusiasts, but not by DMV as far as I know. If there were going to be a Lottery in 2008, I would think it would be widely known and posted on the DMV web site by now, but it isn't. Here is the link to get you started - http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns.htm

That's the price we pay for having 70 degree days in November ;)

Brent
November 17th, 2007, 05:18 AM
My .02 cents worth is to build or have one built.
The small block Ford is just as cheap to build as a small block Chevy now days. Its popularity even lends to a large market of pre-owned parts that was unheard of with Ford engine parts for ever.

I would thumb my nose at California and put the right motor in the car.

Nothing worse than lifting the hood on a 42 year old car to find a junkyard F.I. 302 in it.

I think your re-sale value will be much higher as well.