PDA

View Full Version : Header Cleaner

Ric S.
November 17th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I need a few suggestions on cleaning a sidepipe just past the header. Either tar or plastic has melted to the pipe and the products I have tried are not effective. What removes bonded items from the sidepipes?

Thanks

Ric

scott h
November 18th, 2007, 08:18 AM
have you attempted to clean the pipes when they are hot? i was able to simply wipe off some melted on foreign substance with a dry towel.

JeepSnake
November 19th, 2007, 06:17 AM
I believe what I use is Eagle 1 Metal Polish (think that's the name). It's the polish that is embedded in felt fiber, and comes in a little gold-cad looking tin can at most any Advance, Autozone, etc. Just tear a piece of the felt/polish off the roll in the can, and then buff away on your pipes. Once you're done, buff the polish off with a clean, dry terrycloth rag.

I have successfully removed melted nylon from my sidepipes using this stuff. You want the pipes to be be dead cool, or the polish just evaporates.

Ric S.
November 19th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I have 12 miles on the car and spot on the sidepipe is driving me crazy. I am sure these remedies will work. By the way, can you use 4-0 steel wool on the pipes without damaging the ceramic finish?

Ric

weaver
November 19th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Yes, that is what I use. See you Friday

Alan