PDA

View Full Version : Paxtons: another update

Aggressor
November 27th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Here are some images of the replication of fuel and oiling systems. It's been interesting and challenging to work around some of the "Unique" features of our cars to replicate the original setup. The fuel system junction at the pressure regulator is in a lowered position due to the hood prop being on the drivers side. The oil filter relocation to the nose opening is also modified to accomodate the Unique.. The filter is bolt upright and not semi-reclining as the original. I fabed a piece of plate steel for backing the inverted remote oil filter mount. Four 3/8 inch studs were welded to the backing plate and then it was welded to the parallel horizontal fan supports. I realized while working through the details that the original radiator and oil cooler were angled back to allow for larger units to be installed. This leads you to realize that the engine will be putting out a whole lot more heat than it currently is.
The original twin paxton has some strange features. One is the Holley style fuel pressure regulator on a car that requires boost referenced fuel pressure. The fuel pressure must increase 1 pound of pressure for every pound of increased boost. Craig Conley of Paxton said to remove the regulator but for appearence I gutted the original type providing a nonregulated pass-thru.
-Geary

pbrown
November 27th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Is it me of is there a belt alignment issue in the first picture.

Looks good. There is a lot going on under that hood.

Aggressor
November 27th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Patrick
The belt is just hanging loose at this time. A lot of fabrication and alignment issues to resolve yet. I need a 1.25 inch crank pulley spacer for the belt to line up.

Geary

RJacobsen
November 27th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Looks like its coming together nicely Geary, Good work. Whats the plan for changing that filter? Lots of rags?

Naumoff
November 28th, 2007, 04:34 AM
This is going to be awesome. Lookinng good Geary.

Aggressor
November 28th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Rod, I figured I'd give her a quick twist then run to avoid the hot torrent of gushing oil.

Better yet Call Harley Cluxton, David Scaiffe, or Shelby himself to ask how oil changes in a 5.5 million dollar car is accomplished without dropping a quart of hot oil into the grille opening. (Just joking)

Seriously I don't know at this time. I really should engineer a drain tap into one of the fittings or in the bottom of the oil cooler. Or perhaps a schraider valve with a one way valve upstream. 60 pounds of air pressure would then be introduced to push the downstream oil through the engine and into the pan where it can be drained in a more civilized fashion.

Original car photo included

- Geary

pgermond
November 28th, 2007, 07:18 PM
A "big" plastic bag wrapped around it when the oil is cold might be a thought.

RJacobsen
November 28th, 2007, 10:08 PM
They probably won't drive that 5.5 million car far enough to need an oil change.;)

Aggressor
November 29th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Phil,
I like it simple and effective.
Rod, your comment makes one "think". Maybe ......just maybe ... Ron Pratt is now cruising on 1968 vintage multiblend Quaker State. I guess stranger things have happened. The thought of if cracks me up.

-Geary