PDA

View Full Version : Visit with Maurice Today 11-28-07

tcolley
November 28th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I spoke with Maurice this afternoon and they are fitting my body to the chassis today and will see how the new specs for my rollbar work tomorrow.

Can't wait until I see the pix tomorrow.

will butterworth
November 29th, 2007, 05:35 AM
we needs pictures for sure.Will-alabama

tcolley
November 29th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Will,

Thanks! I will post them just as soon as Alan sends them to me!

Terry

Naumoff
November 29th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Terry,
What kind of rollbar you doing?

tcolley
November 29th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Tony,

I'm 6'2" and with my helmet on about 6'4" so I asked Maurice to make the roll bar about 5" taller than normal. I am using the forward bracing bar on the 289 FIA car. He is going to take some pictures of it to make sure that it doesn't look too odd at that height. I just want to be sure that my helmet is below the roll bar by at least 1-2" or I'll have a problem getting by the tech inspectors when I run the car at our open track events down here.

Terry

Naumoff
November 29th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Terry,
Are you going to put a comp. seat in. I did on my 427 and it lowered me in the car 2.5". If your going to track the car some it sure helps hold you in place aswell. This could be an option if the roll bar looks funny to you.
I built a frame for the seat but the bottom touches the carpet.
http://www.uniquecobra.com/gallery/files/1/4/6/9/compseatIII.jpg

tcolley
November 29th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Tony,

Thanks for the input and photo! I certainly appreciate your advice. Alan just sent me a picture with a 6'4" man in my car with the 5" taller bar. It looks too tall and he is going to shorten it about 2". That will make it just about perfect.

In my FFR Spec racer...see attached picture. I had the competition seat bolted directly to the chassis and I was just barely below the bar. That was my main concern.

Again Thanks for the input!

Regards,

Terry

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/bbobc//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/tctws1.jpg

Naumoff
November 29th, 2007, 02:55 PM
No problem Terry,

Still running your spec racer?

Justin Upchurch
November 29th, 2007, 06:56 PM
They built mine a little taller, I am well under the bar with a helment on, but you will need a couple of inches taller than mine.
Did you end up going with the 289 car?

Justin

tcolley
November 29th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Tony,

No I sold the spec racer right after I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2003! I had the surgery in July 2003 and have been cancer free for just over 4 years now! HURRAY!

Last year I partnered up with a long time SCCA friend in a C Sedan Mini Cooper S for vintage racing, but really missed my spec racer.

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/bbobc//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/detws10.jpg

I'm seriously thinking about retiring from serious racing and just want to run DE or Track Day events as well as club functions. I have always wanted a Unique FIA and decided that now was the time to make the leap!

Terry

tcolley
November 29th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Justin,

We originally made the bar 5" taller than the standard bar, but when Alan sent me the pictures we decided that maybe it should only be 3" more than the standard height!

Yes, I went with the 289 FIA version of the car. It will have front and rear sway bars, 3:54 limited slip, adjustable rear coil overs, oil cooler, 17" Compomotive wheels and a Southern Automotive 351 Windsor with a Tremec TKO 600 5-speed with an .085 fifth gear. I've decided to paint it Viking Blue and will use either an FIA or Rookie strips on the car.

I still would like to come over and see your car sometime soon.

Regards,

Terry

ralphscott
November 30th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Terry, congratulations on being cancer free for 4 years. Hard to believe I'm going on 20 years cancer free!! We still celebrate each check-up! Love the paint job on the spec racer really cool! Welcome to Unique!!

Ralph

tcolley
November 30th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Ralph,

CONGRATULATIONS!

GREAT NEWS about being cancer free for over 20 YEARS!!!

Thanks for the nice comment on my spec paint job. A lot of people really liked it as it was a different take on the striping!

Terry

Naumoff
November 30th, 2007, 02:35 PM
hey !what is this cancer survivor corner? 10 years for me and I am due for a cat scan and blood work.
Congrats to both of you!

I think the vintage Mini would be awesome.

ralphscott
November 30th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Alright that is fantastic!! Congratulations Tony!! Near misses makes you want to live life "just a bit" more fully!!

Ralph

tcolley
November 30th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Ralph and Tony,

I think we need to have a "cancer survivors" branch of the Unique family! I am amazed at just how many of us there are out there!

Ralph, you are absolutely correct about wanting to get just a bit more out of life after experiencing a "near miss"! I know it sure opened my eyes and changed my outlook a bunch!

Terry

Naumoff
December 1st, 2007, 04:55 AM
Terry,
you are correct. During my treatment I realized I didn't need to work seven days a week. And my business wouldn't fail if I took a week off here and there. And most of all to cherish my family. And everyday could be my last one here on earth, so I ordered my Cobra 15 years ahead of schedule.:)

The Club is life. Better to live it than watch it go by.

C.C.C. Chemo Cobra Club? :D

tcolley
December 1st, 2007, 07:16 AM
Tony,

You are absolutely right about "learning" what things were important to your life after being diagnosed with cancer. I have always been an A++ type personality and figured if I didn't slow down and "smell the roses" that I might not be around to enjoy them later. It is amazing how your business can function without you for a day or week...isn't it!

I didn't have to have chemo after surgery as I was fortunate enough to catch it before it spread out of the prostate.

So how about Unique Cancer Survivors Club... UCSC?

Terry

PS How do you get the icons to fit into the copy? I can only get them into the heading?

Naumoff
December 1st, 2007, 10:29 AM
UCSC sounds good to me. I am easy.

Testicular cancer for me. I am glad I had children early.

Icon questions go to Patrick. Maybe go to "Post Reply" instead of "Quick Reply".

:)

pbrown
December 1st, 2007, 05:32 PM
PS How do you get the icons to fit into the copy? I can only get them into the heading?

They are available when you click "Post Reply" or "New Thread". Look to the right. There are 12 of them. You can insert them anywhere.

ralphscott
December 1st, 2007, 05:37 PM
UCSC Sounds good to me Tony I also had testicular cancer. I am retiring on Monday so this is a new chapter in my life and for a type A personality this should be interesting. My dad just died on the 25th of October with cancer. So we have a part time job of closing his estate and liquidating stuff which should keep us kinda busy till April of so. Get my annual cancer check up at the end of the month. (Yup I still get them!)

Ralph

tcolley
December 1st, 2007, 08:40 PM
Tony & Ralph,

I'm sorry to hear that you both had Testicular Cancer! :( But am extremely glad that you both beat it!

No cancer is good but that one seems to be a real bear. Prostate cancer usually doesn't require chemo and sometimes no radiation, just depends on how early it is detected and treatment recommended. They just cut me open from stem to stern and took the little bugger out.

I'm glad that you both like UCSC! As we will be the first 3 charter members of the club!:D

Ralph,

Sorry to hear about your dad! My dad died on Sept.1st in 2005. I know all too well about the estate settlement and possession liquidation. Not fun!

I retired in 2006 and have been working on a part time basis since then. I've found that I have less free time now than when I was working full time. I guess it was just a the "honey dos" that keep me occupied!;)

Terry

ralphscott
December 2nd, 2007, 02:49 PM
Terry, I keep hearing from our friends that you have less free time when you retire. I guess that will be good as it will keep me active. I have reflected that perhaps the less free time will be because I am doing more of what I want to do.. Sure hope so!! Tony how about you close to or a ways off from retirement?

Ralph

Naumoff
December 3rd, 2007, 03:56 AM
Ralph,
I am 40 but I want to retire by 55. I don't want to sit back but want to do what I want when I want.

My father got injured on the job at 63 and was forced to retire and lived in pain for 10 years before he died.
I don't think one should have to work till their dieing day. I think one should die doing what they want to do.

will butterworth
December 3rd, 2007, 10:58 AM
tremendous discussion, Appreciate you guys, all, for sharing. Sorry to hear about your dad, Ralph, hope you and Gail are doing alright.Several of us in this office have had the dreaded prostate cancer, I haven,t ,yet, but everything points in that direction, I,ve had the finger wave from everybody, now, blood pulled every time I turn around, go for colonscopy next Monday. All of us can relate.And, Ralph, I retire a year from now,have grand baby in June--Zach and Sandy.Thank you all, and may God bless each of you. Will-alabama

tcolley
December 3rd, 2007, 11:47 AM
Will,

I belong to a cancer survivors group that keeps in touch with everyone on a monthly basis. We've found that by sharing our stories, we aren't alone iln this situation and it gives us all a feeling of comradeship!:D

We will keep you in our prayers for negative test results on your colonscopy on Monday!

My daughter is having a C Section tomorrow to have our first grandson. My son has a 4 year old daughter, so now I will have a grandson and granddaughter. It doesn't get much better than that!;)

Can't wait till I get my FIA so that I can start having fun again!:shift:

Terry

Naumoff
December 3rd, 2007, 01:32 PM
Will,
Think positive and we will keep you in our prayers.
Treatment in this area will stop one from being modest.:o

Naumoff
December 3rd, 2007, 01:36 PM
Terry,
Congratulation.

I am a few years from being a grandfather. Not ready.

My brother became one twice last year. Both of my nieces gave birth. One boy in November and girl in December.

tcolley
December 3rd, 2007, 02:13 PM
Tony,

How ironic is that! ;)

My daughter was born on Dec.3rd and 5 years later, my son on Nov. 30.

Now my daughter's baby is due tomorrow...Dec.4th.

Must have been something in the water in the month of April! :D

Terry

Naumoff
December 4th, 2007, 03:33 AM
And to add to that my dad's birthday is December 4.

pgermond
December 4th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Will,
Think positive and we will keep you in our prayers.
Treatment in this area will stop one from being modest.:o

An interesting discussion, to be sure. Fortunately cancer hasn't been an issue in my family (yet), but one never knows. Just finished my annual physical today, blood test, finger wave..... the works. All is well :) As far as retirement goes - if you like what you are doing and life is good, then think twice. Don't retire for the sake of retiring at 55. Kind of like the 60's - don't get married at 19 just 'cause everyone else is doing it. As for me, I did what everyone else was doing in the 60's (and I mean everything!). Divorced 20+ years ago, spent 5-years figuring things out, and then married the girl of my dreams the second time around. Retired at 55 because the job was literally killing me. Reconnected with my kids, and am enjoying every minute I can now with them and the grandkids.

You guys that are survivors - I don't need to tell you..... live every day like it is your last. As for the car (in the words of some wise guy).... drive it like you stole it!!!

Hope to meet up with some of you at Homecoming this year.

Naumoff
December 5th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Phil,
I don't want to stop doing things I just want to stop doing work to pay bills.
:D

tcolley
December 5th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Tony & Phil,

I had stopped working...but the billings weren't getting paid...so I had to start looking for ways to pay the bills! NUTS!!! :D:D

But I am extremely thankful for everyday and try to live it to its fullest!:shift:

Terry