PDA

View Full Version : Dutton Performance

scott h
December 5th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Has anyone had any experience with Dutton Performance? when I bought my cobra, about 3 years ago, Alan suggested Dutton for my 351W. the price was good, and the parts list sounded top notch.
A recent bent push rod (less than 3000 on motor) led to me take the motor to local engine builder with a good rep. He showed me totally worn rod bearings from too tight of clearances and contamination, along with a poor decking and align boring (if it was done at all ) ,OE replacement pistons and ford OE parts elsewhere. I guess you can make any motor put out 400 hp, but it won't last.
So far i have a $4000 bill, this does include some nice pistons ($500) and a roller cam.
Dan Dutton seems like a stand up guy , I think that he should pay for all the machine work and to replace parts that were not up to par in the first place, if anyone has any input before i contact him please share your experience. Thanks.

scott h
December 5th, 2007, 06:26 PM
oh yeah, questionable valve job too.

Justin Upchurch
December 5th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Scott,

I would call Dutton first, and remove this post. It is not uncommon for one machine shop to make impartial comments about a competitiors work. I am not saying that is the case here, but give Dutton the benefit of the doubt first. Also, you are very unlikely to get Dutton to pay for another shop's labor bill, but he might have fixed the motor on his own nickel if you had sent him the motor.
Should you not get a satisfactory response after speaking with Dutton and giving him the chance to fix the issue then let us know about it.
Good luck and I hope you get back on the road soon!

Justin

pgermond
December 5th, 2007, 07:36 PM
From what I've heard from different folks regarding this sort of thing, Justin is right on with comments his and suggestions.

Brent
December 6th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Scott,

I would call Dutton first, and remove this post. It is not uncommon for one machine shop to make impartial comments about a competitiors work. I am not saying that is the case here, but give Dutton the benefit of the doubt first. Also, you are very unlikely to get Dutton to pay for another shop's labor bill, but he might have fixed the motor on his own nickel if you had sent him the motor.
Should you not get a satisfactory response after speaking with Dutton and giving him the chance to fix the issue then let us know about it.
Good luck and I hope you get back on the road soon!

Justin

I totally agree. I have heard a lot of good things about Dutton and would have to give the benefit of the doubt or at least give him the chance to fix it.

scott h
December 6th, 2007, 06:17 AM
i would remove this post if i could figure out how! i did talk to dan earlier he did offer to fix the motor if i could get it to him, but the problem with buying things from people all the way across the country is you can't just stroll overbto their shop. Shipping qoutes ranged from $900-$1100 one way, might as well spend that kind of money locally.

davebetts
December 6th, 2007, 06:18 AM
I agree with the prior posts, let the company/man who started and got paid to do the engine, finish it properly. Having gone through this situation myself, with my first 427, I understand the lack of trust you now feel. They should fix (no charge) or replace or buy back so you can move on. My guy bought it back (my expense to get it out and back to him). I went to Bill & Susan Parham at Southern Automotive - never looked back.
Good luck!

pgermond
December 6th, 2007, 07:27 AM
i would remove this post if i could figure out how! i did talk to dan earlier he did offer to fix the motor if i could get it to him, but the problem with buying things from people all the way across the country is you can't just stroll overbto their shop. Shipping qoutes ranged from $900-$1100 one way, might as well spend that kind of money locally.

Use the edit function - delete the text - save

pbrown
December 6th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Scott,

I can delete the entire thread if you like. Just say the word.

Tony Radford
December 6th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Keeps us Atlanta folks cognizant of how lucky we are to have the Southern Automotive team right here in town.

Brent
December 6th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Keeps us Atlanta folks cognizant of how lucky we are to have the Southern Automotive team right here in town.

Bill is not perfect either. No human is. But it seems if he is given the chance to make things right he ALWAYS does. KUDOS to those who deal with the public every day and do the right thing. It is a lot easier to go the other direction.

scott h
December 6th, 2007, 05:31 PM
i talked to Dan today he offered to replace the rings and bearings and oil pump if i have my guy do the work, or redo the motor if i sent it to him. I know i can't expect much more after 3 years but i am honestly disappointed with the quality of the machine work as well as the quality of some of the parts, they may be brand name but are pretty much OE, doesn't seem right for a high performance motor, if you saw how thrashed the bearings were you would be amazed. As far as deleting this thread this will be my last post on this topic so Patrick go ahead and delete all.

pgermond
December 6th, 2007, 07:18 PM
IMO - You may be disappointed, but you couldn't ask for anymore.... all things considered.

eliminator
December 7th, 2007, 06:04 AM
I would have talked to my engine builder (Dutton) before I went to anyone else.

You have to give him a chance to make it right.

Besides: Who's to say the current guy is totally correct with his analysis!!!

scott h
December 7th, 2007, 06:40 AM
so this isn't my last post, i did talk to Dan first and iam NOT going to send a motor across the country for a check out, i have had several motors built by my guy so i know he is good, should have used him the first time

Aggressor
December 7th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe I lucked into a fine machinist but I don't have a concept of having the type of engine problems I see reported on this forum. We all see reports of sheared off woodriff keys, bent valves and pushrods, inferior parts, corrrupted bearings, loose rods punching holes in blocks, and it goes on and on. I sincerely doubt that we are all abusing our cars to the extent where these failures become common. I'm not a "Pris" with my vehicle as many of you know by now and it get does get occasional hard use including track time. I don't believe in trailering the car anywhere and make it a point of pride that it's not a trailer "Queen". It does rack up a lot of road miles.
Back to the topic
Having said that, from what I read I get the feeling that I have the only functioning FE rear main bearing seal on the planet as it is holding back oil with none escaping for seven years. I also know that my machinist returned 3 cranks in a row that I had purchased from a machinist mentioned in some of these forums for internal flaws. Like I said maybe I'm just lucky but I have no concept of my FE Cobra Engine not enjoying a mechanically sound long life.
I'm not bragging but I do empathize and feel somewhat frustrated for other members.
The Fe's and small blocks we are using are sound, rugged, with great history and really shouldn't be subject to these somewhat catastrophic incidents. I think we get lulled into accepting inferior work with the excuse that it is common, just the nature of the beast and there is nothing you can do about it. All FE's leak at the rear seal-Yeah Right!
-Geary

Longevity:1972 Triumph GT6 -owned since new-Autocrossed for 7 years-250,000 miles
1986 TransAm -owned since new- Street use - 175,000 miles
1968 Mustang Convertible-owned for 8 years-daily driver for 4 years 147,000 mi
2001 Unique 427SC -owned since new-occasional track time- 14,000 miles
None of these engines have been opened up for mechanical defects and yes I do hit the loud pedal pressing redline from time to time with all of them.