PDA

View Full Version : Afr Cylinder Heads

cal.cheesehead
December 22nd, 2007, 11:42 AM
The engine shop that I am working with wants to use AFR cylinder heads. After looking at a lot of crate engines most use Edelbrock. Does anyone have any experience with AFR that they could share. Thanks as always for assistance.

nolastyankee
December 22nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
I'd use AFR heads in a second. They are some of the best flowing heads on the market, not the cheapest, but then again buying a Cobra is more of a visceral decision than a financial one.

On my personal favorite parts list AFR heads are at the top while Edelbrock is somewhere in the middle.

With all that said, Edelbrock does do a nice job packaging heads, cam, intake, etc. Even the best heads money can buy will not be worth a darn if not properly matched to the rest of the engine package! Best bet is to use some sort of combination that the engine builder has tried and dyno'ed to ensure max power and usability.

Rickd
December 23rd, 2007, 06:17 AM
Don't know which motor you're talking about, but on the Small Block the AFR 165 is one of the best heads available and can also be used on a 331 stroker; The AFR 185 can be used on the 331 / 347 stroker and will give you about 40 HP additional. I have a Keith Craft 331 stroker built with AFR 165''s that dyno'd 436 hp at 6000 rpm, with 400+ FtLbs of torque. I look at AFR as very high quality, well designed, and Edelbrock "middle of the pack" but definitely offering some very well balanced packages. I have an Edelbrock RPM air gap intake and quickfuel tech carb. Ask Keith Craft, they build a lot of Ford motors for cobras (big block and small) and they also sell AFR heads, Brodix and Edelbrock. Rickd.

Brent
December 23rd, 2007, 07:43 AM
I have a set of the AFR 185 heads on my 408" WIndsor for the Mustang project. They look very nice out of the box and the cnc port job looks nice for the money. Even the pocket and guide area was impressive. if you were looking for all out power and did not mind having a special set of headers built the Trick Flow heads offer more upper end power. The Edelbrocks are nice heads for the money but I think they fall in a different catagory.

I wish AFR made heads for the FE