PDA

View Full Version : Need help with MSD timing issue

priobe
December 30th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Hello All,

I have a 427 fe with a MSD 6Al and MSD dist.

I am trying to check my advance but the timing is indicating 12 degrees from my inital 17 degrees when I rev the motor.

I contacted MSd and they said to try the following:

Different timing light with out dial back
move the mag-pickup wires away from other wires
try using another battery source to power the timing light.

I have tried all of these and the result is the same. I would like to know from those of you that have a MSD 6a or 6AL if you rev your motor and hold it at 3000 rpm do you see you timing advance and stay there?

Or do you know what might be the problem in my situation.

The dist. is not locked out and has 2 light silver springs with a blue bushing. Also I am not running any retard box or anything else.

Thanks

scott h
December 30th, 2007, 10:33 AM
i have a new MSD dist that i have not installed yet. the box indicates there are changable stops that will limit total advance, have you checked that? also MSD says dial back timing lights will be affected by multi spark ignitions and not give accurate initial timing readings but should be ok for reading the timing once you get the RPM's up

pgermond
December 30th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I would like to know from those of you that have a MSD 6a or 6AL if you rev your motor and hold it at 3000 rpm do you see you timing advance and stay there?

Or do you know what might be the problem in my situation.

Yes, mine advances and stays steady. I'm using the light silver springs and small bushings (don't remember the color).

No, I don't know what the issue might be. Those damn MSD distributors are really touchy. You would think for the money they could provide a better product. Just replaced my distributor cap and rotor after a few thousand miles because it arc'd and burned up the cap and rotor. I still have my dura-spark from SA if you are interested? :)

priobe
December 30th, 2007, 07:36 PM
What timing light are you using

brand that is.

pgermond
December 31st, 2007, 11:02 AM
Sun........