PDA

View Full Version : Before the body goes back on....

cwareham
January 6th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Hi-

I'm planning on driving the car in gelcoat for a while, so the body is going to go back on once I have everything done that I need to do mecahnically. I have a list of stuff I want to make sure is done before the body goes back on:

Engine/trans in
Headers coated
Driveshaft painted
Install driveshaft hoop
Install e-brake hardware (waiting for body to go back on to cut cable to fit)

And I'm planning to install the heat shields in the next day or so. What else needs to be done before the body goes back on the car? I'm planning on wiring after the body goes back on, is there anything keeping me from doing that?

Thanks!
Chris

Justin Upchurch
January 6th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I would run the wiring through the car with the body off. My car was a painted pallet with the body on when it arrived, and I thought the wiring would have been a lot easier with the body off. I also think adjusting the pedals with the body off would be much easier.

Justin

weaver
January 7th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I would also run the wiring.

Alan

cwareham
January 7th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Thanks guys...why is it easier to run the wiring with the body off the car? It isn't apparent that the chassis or the engine would be in the way of running the wiring...feel like I'm missing something....

Thanks again!
Chris

weaver
January 7th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Most people run the wiring to the rear through the trans tunnel, not much room with the trans in the way. Did your headers line up?

Alan

davebetts
January 7th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Did you run the engine in - dyno? It is much easier to fix any leak or adjustment, prior to being stuck in the engine compartment. My 2 cents.

pgermond
January 7th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Most people run the wiring to the rear through the trans tunnel, not much room with the trans in the way. Did your headers line up?

Alan

As Alan said (and if he said it you would be wise to listen), it's easier not having to fight with things in the way, i.e. motor, trans, drive shaft, rear-end, etc., and much easier to attach the harness to the body by whatever method you choose to use.

cwareham
January 7th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks guys, that helps.

Alan - Yup, I got stuff to line up. I ordered a stock trans mount to see if it lowers the rear of the trans a bit (thereby getting rid of the slope in the pipes compared to the framerails) but I did get everything to connect up.

Davebetts - I haven't run the engine in yet, partially because of the fact that I assumed that I needed to have the body back on to complete the cooling system before running it for more than a few seconds at a time....I guess I could wire the radiator in and plug everything else so I can run it in before the body goes on. Anyone have a trick for this?

Thanks!
Chris.

Naumoff
January 8th, 2008, 03:07 AM
You can make a little ignition box and hook up some cheap gauges.
I wired mine up and installed the radiator with the body off and fired it up in the chassis.
Pictures are in my other computer. Will post some when I get a chance.

But some leaks won't show up until you drive it.

cwareham
January 8th, 2008, 12:52 PM
That's kinda what I was thinking...a lot of leaks won't show till the car's been out and about, and if I really want to run it in, not only would I need the radiator hooked up, I'd need to run the fan, etc. Right now, I know it fires, has fuel pressure and oil pressure, but that's it.

Best,
c

ralphscott
January 8th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I ran mine before I put the body on. It was great to have full access to the engine to check for leaks do timing adjustments and tighten header bolts (with anti-seize) make sure you have a water temp gauge hooked up.

Ralph

cwareham
January 8th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks Ralph...did you wire the fan in?

RJacobsen
January 8th, 2008, 04:43 PM
a portable fan in front of the radiator should move enough air to keep things cool.

ralphscott
January 8th, 2008, 07:42 PM
That's what I did a big box fan right in front of the radiator.

Ralph