PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Master / Slave

Tony Radford
January 8th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Though I've never had to touch my Brake system, I've gone through several clutch masters and slaves. Part of my problem was due to my brief encounter with synthetic fluid. I typically experience a slight "spongy" feeling that continues to degrade until failure. I was under the car the other day and I noticed fluid in the slave boot. Doesn't this indicate the slave integrity has been compromised? The spring pressure on my clutch is fairly stout (Ram long throw). I figure that can put additional stress on the hydraulic system. Anyone else go through this?

ralphscott
January 8th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Tony I'm running silicone fluid in my brakes DOT 5 and they work great. Still on my original master cylinders going on 7 years I think.

In the Cluch and the hydraulic throwout bearing I run NAPA 40-032 heavy duty brake fluid DOT 4. I've never had the spongy feel that you refer to. You may want to consider a change as I've had no problems.

Happy New Year
Ralph

weaver
January 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
The slave cylinder you have is a Wagner # SC124111, I would stay with the set up you have, we have had several problems with Hyd throwout bearings lately.

Alan

Tony Radford
January 8th, 2008, 05:11 PM
The problem comes in when you add DOT5 to a system that has been running DOT3. They don't mix well. The Ram site tells you to avoid using DOT5 in a clutch system. Unfortunately I read it late.

Alan, I certainly don't plan on changing anything. I can get the slaves and masters at Summit Racing. They're not expensive, I would just like to see them last for a while. It bummed me out when I saw the fluid in the slave boot. I'm thinking that once the fluid starts getting past the o ring, it's just a matter of time.

pgermond
January 8th, 2008, 08:29 PM
The clutch master/slave is something that I keep a close eye on. The line is wrapped with a heat reflective sleeve, and I flush and change the fluid at least once a year - and have replaced the slave every two years. Maybe a bit anal, however, I haven't had any problems or left stranded.

Tony Radford
January 9th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Wouldn't it be great if someone came up with a slave that had replacable O rings.

pgermond
January 9th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Wouldn't it be great if someone came up with a slave that didn't need O rings replaced. ;)

peter
January 9th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I have never replaced my slave, but I seem to go through clutch masters every year. I put some heat insolation in but still having the same problem.