PDA

View Full Version : LED Taillights that work!!

Mike Del
February 14th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Installing LED bulbs in a 289 bodied car or a 427 using the early style rectangular lenses can be a bit of a problem. The bulb holder in the assembly points the bulb upward. LED bulbs are directional beam in nature, so the bulb needs to point into the top "active portion" of the lens. Back in 1994, I made up a conversion holder to provide the proper orientation and installed a pair of 1157 style red LED bulbs from Auto Zone. These use an array of about 13 or so LEDs and work pretty well.

Now I've redesigned my conversion holder to accept a new LED assembly made by Radiantz. It uses 48 LEDs and is the brightest 1157 style bulb made, period. This thing is is like a laser! The bulb was designed for motorcycles that characteristically have small ineffective taillights. If you remember my car (Connecticut registered , #19 numbered) you probably noticed my third brake light. It was originally made to be used as a Harley tailight, and I converted it to a bottom mount so I could use it as a third brake light. It was manufactured by Radiantz and uses 42 LEDs.

souzape
February 14th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Mike- Have you considered making up any more of your conversion holders??

Phil Souza

weaver
February 14th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Mike and his buddy Tom can make just about anything.

Alan

Mike Del
February 14th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Hey Phil,
I can make them in aluminum with the proper bulb holder installed. You would need to purchase two 48 LED bulbs from either Radiantz or one of their resellers. I found the best price at BikerHiway.com
The part number is 5302-19.

The conversion holders from me would be $75 including shipping. You need to remove the existing bulb holder from the lens. Don't remove the whole backplate. Super easy. I will take a few pics to describe the "how to." With the adapter my grand daughter could install it.

As with all these items:"these are sold for off road and show use only, buyer assumes all responsibility."

Mike Del
February 14th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Here is a pic of the conversion adapters. Click on image for larger version.

souzape
February 14th, 2008, 09:45 AM
OK Mike- where do I send the check?

Phil

Mike Del
February 14th, 2008, 10:28 AM
HI Phil,

I just emailed you with the details. Thanks. You are going to be pleased with the results.

Mike Del
February 16th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Just a note regarding the use of the 48 LED bulbs made by Radiantz: You will need to use a "no load" solid state flasher with these bulbs, even if you use conventional bulbs in the front turn signals.

Edit: Most LED sellers tell you that you need a no load flasher when using LED bulbs. I've found that if you have incandescent bulbs in the front turn signals, you will still generate enough load to trigger the flasher. Always verify that your signals work when you make the change, just to be sure. So far everyone has been OK with the original flasher.

souzape
February 23rd, 2008, 12:17 PM
Just finished converting to Mike's LED set-up. The difference is amazing...especially in the daylight. Everything fit and the conversion of the old tail light housing was very simple. My original flasher unit even worked! Very nice job Mike. Highly recommended as a safety update.

Phil Souza

spd4me
February 24th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I saw in a recent issue of one of the kit car magazines that has a manufactured version of Led light for a rectangle tail light 289 body style or original 427. I think Finish Line carrys them. May not be as bright?
Bob

spd4me
February 24th, 2008, 06:03 AM
how can I get a new post or thread to show up on the home or new post page?
Bob

RJacobsen
February 24th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I saw the Kit car article, the unit they showed looked like crap to me. This modern bulb in an original style light looks like the way to go.

RJacobsen
February 24th, 2008, 09:26 AM
how can I get a new post or thread to show up on the home or new post page?
Bob
Bob, From the home page go to the forums page, pick a catagory, and you should find a (New Tread) button at the top left.

spd4me
February 24th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Rod - they do look pretty cheesie. That's why I didn't get any. I added the new tread but it didn't show up with all the other "new post". I wanted it to show up there so someone would see it and maybe give me an answer.

Question on those Led bulbs. Would they plug into the sockets that came with car?
Also thought about somehow removing the bottom half of tail lens (bottom half is a reflector) and using 2 bulbs.
Bob

Mike Del
February 26th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Bob,
The original bulb holder points upward. As I stated in the original post, the purpose of the conversion kit is to properly position the bulb to point its directional beam into the active portion of the lens. This new bulb with its 48 LEDs is unbelievable. You keep the original appearance of the lens assembly. You don't end up with some cheesy looking faked lens.

The modification of the back plate is super easy. I include detailed instructions, very easy. Do not remove the bottom portion of the backplate to try to have light pass through the reflector portion of the lens. The reflector is a federal mandate and you'll note that all vehicles have them. After you get the 48 LEDs on line you'll have plenty of light!!

spd4me
February 28th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Great, how can I get a pair.
Bob

Mike Del
February 29th, 2008, 05:04 AM
This message purposely deleted. It was a duplicate.

Mike Del
February 29th, 2008, 05:16 AM
To order a pair of conversion adapters:

Click on "Mike Del" in this or any post. In the drop down menu click on "email Mike Del." Send me an email and I will respond with my mailing address and information.

Thanks and you will be pleased with the results!

Mike Del
March 2nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
STEALTH SIDEMARKER BLINKERS. I guess I just like LEDs. I just added a pair of LED pods to serve as sidemarker blinkers. They are mounted on the footbox at the top edge of the rear louver opening on each side. They are not visable, unless you know they are there and go looking for them. They work great. I used Radiantz model LLP pods. They are clear in physical appearance and amber when triggered. They each contain 5 LEDs. I'll give info on "how to" if anyone cares.

diegokid
March 2nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Where are the pictures?

Mike Del
March 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Photos of Stealth Sidemarker Blinkers, off and on.

spd4me
March 15th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Like my parents use to say, "children are to be seen and not heard". I like both. Got the light fixtures from Mike Del and the light bulbs from bikerhighway.com and here's what I did. First opened up the back of fia tail light so I can get most of led bulb to show through, then opened up hole in body and put all back together. Pics may not tell real story but there's probably 3 to 4 times more light. Took about 2 hrs to do one side.
bob

RJacobsen
March 15th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Bob , that looks great but how do you get your car to hang on the wall like that? :D:D

spd4me
March 16th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I wrap that green hose around the rear end and hang on a big hook. I forgot to rotate pics, sorry.
bob

Mike Del
March 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Nice work on the use of my LED adapters Bob. The adapters align the bulbs and reflect any stray light into the opening, so you don't have to go to all that trouble of opening the lens back and body. The difference is already amazing. What Bob did is above and beyond the call of duty. Kudos, Bob!

Mike Del
March 16th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Here's a sneek peak view of my stealth sidemarker blinker. It's a 3/8" x 3/8" x 1 1/2" clear tube that contains 5 LEDs. Very discreet, yet very noticeable when lit.

JeepSnake
May 19th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Mike, just got my passenger side LED installed, and WOW!!! (Now, just to find some more nuts so I have enough to put the driver side together.)

Guys, everyone has been talking about how bright the LED's are, but there are two additional benefits that Mike and I discussed at Homecoming.

1) LED's are cool. Temperature-wise, that is. If you take long trips in your FIA car and have to utilize the fenderwell space for packing, you've probably wondered about that hot, exposed incandescent bulb. I always worried about something shifting and getting against the bulb where it could melt, smolder, or worse. Not so with Mike's conversion. First, the LED runs cool. Second, Mike's conversion adapter encloses the entire assembly in aluminum so that it's protected from your trunk contents.

2) LED's have a faster reaction time. They light up instantly. The incandescent bulb has to first heat the filament to the point of radiance; only then do you see light. This may seem like splitting hairs, but in an e-stop situation, every millisecond of extra warning time you can give the vehicle behind you counts. With one LED installed and one incandescent still in place, the time lag on the plain bulb was dramatically evident. My trained observers (Mom, Dad, Sandy, and Jake the dog) all noted that the LED lit up ahead of the old bulb without me telling them to watch for it.

This is absolutely, positively one of the best mods I can think of for an FIA car.

Mike Del
May 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM
[thumb] Zach,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm very pleased that you like the results of the LED adapters. The difference is truly amazing. I usually include extra nuts for the install. They are 5mm nuts. If you have trouble getting them, I'll be happy to mail you some. I believe, as you do also, that the conversion to the new 48LED bulbs with these adapters is a major safety addition for anyone using rectangular 289 style taillights. It was a pleasure talking to you at the homecoming.

Mike

JeepSnake
May 21st, 2008, 05:03 AM
No problem getting the nuts, Mike. My mistake was thinking that I might actually have four 5 mm nuts somewhere in our 10 Maxwell House cans full of screws, washers, nuts, etc.! Picked up a couple of packs at Home Depot yesterday, and we're good to go!

FYI - on a side note, I read yesterday where Cadillac is about to introduce the first pure LED headlights into the States. They're manufactured by Hella.

Naumoff
May 23rd, 2008, 04:53 AM
Photos of Stealth Sidemarker Blinkers, off and on.
Cool Mike.

I was thinking of doing some under-Glo lighting myself.;)

Just kidding. That is a neat ideal.

Slither
July 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Replacement 1156 and 1157 right-angle LED lights are available to simplify the process (sorry Mike, it was a good fix![thumb]). See the link below for one source:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...x30.htm#photos (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2F1156-x30.htm#photos)

I am thinking along the lines of what Mike did, only using two separate bulbs to eliminate the adapter.

Mike Del
July 27th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Attention Slither, Hi Paul!

I know you haven't tried those 90 degree bulbs. Don't comment about things you haven't tried. You may mislead people.

A tip for builders and owners:

Do not take advise from "Cobra owners" that do not own a Cobra or only owned one for a few months. At this point I've owned a Unique Cobra since 1992 and have driven well over 80,000 miles in both of the cars that I built.

Personally, I don't care if you use my adapter or come up with your own solution. My adapter is only for the rectangular lights. The bulbs that I recommend are by far the best and not sold by me.

Benefits of using LED tail lights:
1. They energize immediately and at full power.
2. Low power consumption.
3. Cool operation, no hot halogen in your trunk.
4. Your pressure operated brake light switch will energize the bulbs sooner, because as soon as the contacts in the switch start to touch the bulbs will fully illuminate due to the low amperage required.
5. Your brake light switch will last longer, because it isn't subjected to the high current flow that the conventional bulbs draw.
6. Yor brake light switch will appear to work with lower pressure because of #4 above.

GO LED, but use the right bulb and make sure you illuminate the exact center of the lens. LED bulbs are directional. Don't eliminate the reflector portion of the lens. It's required and could save your life. Be safe. Enjoy the ride. Have fun.

Slither
July 27th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Attention Slither, Hi Paul!

I know you haven't tried those 90 degree bulbs. Don't comment about things you haven't tried. You may mislead people.

A tip for builders and owners:

Do not take advise from "Cobra owners" that do not own a Cobra or only owned one for a few months. At this point I've owned a Unique Cobra since 1992 and have driven well over 80,000 miles in both of the cars that I built.

Personally, I don't care if you use my adapter or come up with your own solution. My adapter is only for the rectangular lights. The bulbs that I recommend are by far the best and not sold by me.

Benefits of using LED tail lights:
1. They energize immediately and at full power.
2. Low power consumption.
3. Cool operation, no hot halogen in your trunk.
4. Your pressure operated brake light switch will energize the bulbs sooner, because as soon as the contacts in the switch start to touch the bulbs will fully illuminate due to the low amperage required.
5. Your brake light switch will last longer, because it isn't subjected to the high current flow that the conventional bulbs draw.
6. Yor brake light switch will appear to work with lower pressure because of #4 above.

GO LED, but use the right bulb and make sure you illuminate the exact center of the lens. LED bulbs are directional. Don't eliminate the reflector portion of the lens. It's required and could save your life. Be safe. Enjoy the ride. Have fun.

uhhhh, Mike... those lights I pointed out are LED lights:rolleyes:.

And, though I'm not sure how you "know" being that we're half a country apart, no I haven't tried them. That is, in fact, why I didn't comment on them. I didn't advise anyone; that is to say I gave no advice. I merely pointed out, with acknowledgement of the good work you do, that LED replacement lights are being manufactured in the right-angle form-factor, allowing for an easy swap... nothing misleading about that! It is up to the user to determine usefulness, functionality, effectiveness, safety, etc. for their car.

As I mentioned, I like what you did. The adapter I was talking about potentially eliminating is the trailer wiring diode pack needed to change from dual light systems to single tail lights... I'll need to see how it shakes out in concept, function, and testing before I can be sure it will work;). But hey, that is part of the fun of these cars:D.

Hope your day is on the up-swing[thumb]!

Mike Del
July 28th, 2010, 04:36 AM
HA,HA,HA....

The point is that not all LED bulbs are equal. Don't just replace a bulb with an LED to achieve a similar net output. I was cranky when I made that that response. I missed lunch. My apologies Paul. ;)

Naumoff
July 28th, 2010, 08:24 AM
You should be driving fast enough so that no one is that close to you. I guess that's what you have to worry about with a smallblock.:D

Slither
July 28th, 2010, 09:07 AM
The point is that not all LED bulbs are equal.

Yes, the dispersion pattern/viewing angle and light output/luminosity are very important... good point[thumb]. They can vary very much:cool:. Check the specs before you decide.

I guess that's what you have to worry about with a smallblock.:D

No... it's the blue-lights that we have to worry about;):cool:!

TurnpikeBoy
July 29th, 2010, 01:10 PM
You should be driving fast enough so that no one is that close to you. I guess that's what you have to worry about with a smallblock.:D

Usually that's true. 'Specially when that follower is official.

Big blocks, of course never are concerned with such an issue.....'course, they're usually down for the count for one reason or another :D and, thereby, immune to such events :D

Naumoff
July 29th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Usually that's true. 'Specially when that follower is official.

Big blocks, of course never are concerned with such an issue.....'course, they're usually down for the count for one reason or another :D and, thereby, immune to such events :D

Show pieces?:D

TurnpikeBoy
July 29th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Show pieces?:D

Undoubtedly the best use :D

Slither
August 2nd, 2010, 02:21 AM
Here is another take on it...

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105854

Glenview289
August 2nd, 2010, 08:31 AM
The LED shown in the link above is definately inferior to the ones used in Mikes adapter. The LED shown has 3 fewer LEDs, and three quarters of them will be shinning sideways or back behind into the trunk. The motorcycle brake light used in Mikes adapter has all 48 shinning straight back where they are needed. Brian and I just finished converting our car three weeks ago and the difference is amazing. There is know doubt that your running or brake lights are working. There is no need to reinvent the wheel when we have the best available to us right here on our own forum.

Bill

Slither
August 4th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Once again, this was only for information purposes, not an endorsement:rolleyes:. I don't recall saying that it was better or that it is the way to do it...

Let me say it more emphatically this time: I agree, Mike's solution is the best[thumb]!

OK good, now they can get back to the big-block small-block argument:cool:!

Naumoff
August 5th, 2010, 06:27 AM
I use hand signals.:3g:

TurnpikeBoy
August 5th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I use hand signals.:3g:

Drives a car designed in the 50's, powered by a motor produced in the 60's, and scorns modern electrics.......Tony, you are a true car freak. :D