PDA

View Full Version : engine swap,

glenn
February 14th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Hello everyone, I'm planning to start this engine swap this weekend, I've borrowed a hoist and should be ready to go. Plan to drain fluids, label all wiring connections and any other connecting hardware. Disconnect headers and loosen sidepipes.Disconect hoses and cooler lines. I believe it would be better to remove transmission from under the car first,and then pull engine. I haven't done this before and any advice would be appreaciated and if you can think of any other issues let me know.
THANKS Glenn,

scott h
February 14th, 2008, 07:29 PM
check to see if your hoist will reach across the nose of the car. mine is not long enough and had to pull from the side. i pulled the motor and trans all together but am reinstalling seperately, engine then trans. i have my car on 4 ramps with plates and blocks bolted on to prevent movement, had to remove one of the front ramps to get the hoist into position,jacked car up a placed jack stand in that corner,i wound up raising that corner a little higher than the other corners and had a heck of a time getting the motor mount bolts in, finally loosened the motor mounts a little and got the bolts in, it wasn't until i was removing the jack stand that i saw that i had flexed the frame enough to make lining up the motor mount bolt holes very difficult- lesson: make sure your car is level!

Naumoff
February 15th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Glenn,
I would definately pull the trans from under the car.
Scott is right. Most hoist won't reach over the nose. I put my car on jackstand. Pull the right front tire(or what ever side you are going to pull the engine).
Remove the hood from the hinge pins. (you can reach these from under the car to pull the bolts and not risk scratching the paint)This way you don't have to re align the hood.
remove sidepipes.
Make sure you have a plug made up for the 3/8 fuel line before you disconnect it so you won't have to scramble for one.
Oh and of course disconnect the battery first.:D
Get a new digital camera and post lots of pictures on your engine swap please!:)

I have a zipper on my car now.

davebetts
February 15th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Get lots of help (the more eyes the better) and go slowly. But you only need two sets of hands to make it work. I, also, put the trans in from the bottom. It works both ways - your choice. An engine equalizising bar on the hoist makes small movements very easy. Remember - slow and easy!