PDA

View Full Version : engine removed

glenn
February 24th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Hello everyone, Removed the engine last week, things went pretty smooth. Take your time and go slow and easy. Good advice from everyone, thanks, getting the header bolts out and positioning the headers as we raised the engine was the biggest issue. Hope i can install the headers in a raised position before setting it into the frame mounts. I can't see how i can get a couple of those header bolts started if i have to lower the engine completely? Any
sugestions would be appreciated. While the engines out, plan on rerouting some wiring and the rear brake line to help get them away from the headers. Taking my time, not good cobra
weather here in Pa. this time of year. Have a couple of pictures, but their a little blurry I'll
try to post. Take Care, Glenn

diegokid
February 25th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Sooooooo, you have one too many engines now.

will butterworth
February 25th, 2008, 04:50 AM
looking good, header bolts are a pain, just have to tinker them in and out. I jack engine up out of way --then gentle roll car away and out from under engine--when ready to reinstall pick engine up and roll car back under it. Always scared would hit -scrape fender or the puller might tip on me.Anyway, looking good, and what did you tell us you were going to put back in it--same engine, ?And post pictures---wish we were cl;oser where we could pull a wrench or two--hammer on something. Will-alabama

glenn
February 25th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Diegokid, I do have one extra engine, the one i'm pulling out needs a rear main seal and their an issue with the cooling system, not sure what it is? Maybe a head gasket,but plan to correct it whatever we find.

Will, I'm putting the 428 motor we just finished, in the cobra. You're right Will, It's always more fun tinkering when your friends are around to help. Shucks, I never though about using the hammer on the headers. Work in progress, Take care, Glenn

diegokid
February 26th, 2008, 04:16 AM
I worked in the oilfield many years ago. The only tools you need are.
1. sledge hammer
2. pipe wrench
3. cutting torch

rdorman
February 26th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Not having done it........ if one was going to pull the motor, would it make sense just to pull the body?

will butterworth
February 26th, 2008, 07:23 AM
did your car get hot one time at homecoming on the cruise toward desoto falls?Seems like we had to stop and adjust a clutch rod and ya,ll were just ahead of us pulled over hot.Will-alabama

will butterworth
February 26th, 2008, 07:29 AM
we pull engine --pick it up in place and roll car out from under engine. Engine is so heavy have seen engine puller tip over with engine banging something, and it seems to always sway back and forth when you move the puller with heavy engine.Coolant sloshing out, so we just roll car-truck from under it.Will-alabama

Naumoff
February 26th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Glenn,
Hardest side for the header bolts is the driver side. As Will stated Just have to fiddle with them. I just set the engine and install the headers. Bottom bolt of seven should be in the header before you put it up to the head. Get all the bottom bolts in and the slide the gasket in place. If you gasket is not slotted for the bottom bolts then I would cut them.

Never tried putting the headers on while it was hanging. I just wouldn't trust the hoist. Plus you will risk scratching and gouging the foot boxes with the header bolts.

I wear a size 14 ring and my arms are not the smallest and I can put the headers on with the engine set in place so I think most people can.

Passenger side leave the starter off until you have the header on. Makes it easier.

I also recommend the copper header gaskets and copper permatex sealer. I have had great luck with them.
A small 7/16" combo wrench works nice.