PDA

View Full Version : Under

Steve C.
March 13th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Has anyone used an undercoating that they have been happy with? I am hoping to find something thick that will provide good protection from rock impacts.

Brent
March 13th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I used the Herculiner bed liner kit. It came with a foam roller but I thought the texture was too rough so I used a short hair 4" paint roller. It was VERY tough when it set up and you could wash it easily. It will fill gaps and seal holes with no problem. I did the entire underside of the car with 3 coats after it was painted for about 90.00 In the front and rear wheel wells it was probably 3/16 thick.

diegokid
March 13th, 2008, 05:19 PM
It also helps with unwanted road noise.

ralphscott
March 13th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I brought some spray cans of bed liner at Advanced Auto. Nice finish, easy to clean, excellent coverage, and cheap.

Ralph

Aggressor
March 13th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Same as Ralph. Advanced Auto rattle-can. Cheap and effective.

7 Years and 12,000 miles later: No Problem Mon

-Geary

For Brent: 3 coats - 3/16 inch? Trying for that boulivard Cadillac sedan quiet level I'll bet you lost 7/10th of a second in the quarter. Could you still hear the side pipes?

-Just havin a bit o'fun Brent -Best regards Geary

Brent
March 15th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Just did that above the front and rear tires to protect the fiberglass from flying rocks.

Yep,still heard the pipes (-:

eliminator
March 17th, 2008, 06:07 AM
I used Gator Guard by Eastwood, masked the car up and used a special spray applicator to get it done. It's pretty tough and has a good even application.

If I did another car today I would look at the idea of taking the body to Line-X and getting them to shoot it. That stuff is amazing.

In my opinion the spray can stuff wont hack it, I have used it just to seal the fiberglass and make it easy to wipe off dirt but it dosn't offer any protection from "staring" the fiberglass.

Also do a search on undercoating, lots of information there.

Jeff 427
March 17th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I used the same stuff from Eastwoods that Rich used but applied it with a chip brush.

It came out good and boy is that stuff tough and it will stick to everything so make sure you mask any area you don't want it on.

Steve C.
March 18th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate your input.