PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Pick Up-MSD Ignition

cobracobra
April 18th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Hi all, it's been a long time since I've been on here......Between my daughter starting to walk 5 months ago and a new position at work, it's a miricale I was even trying to start my Cobra. Well anyway, a week ago was my 1st start of the year and wouldnt you know it it just kept turning over. Of course I flooded it, hoping it was a fuel issue being the easiest. I tested the MSD and concluded it was my magnetic pickup. I was getting spark when testing according to MSD's manuel, but I was getting a very low ohm reading, approx 290, at my mag pickup. And according to MSD you need between 400-1300 ohms. I go to order one and my local speed shop states in his 15 years in business he has yet to see one go bad, which made me second guess my diagnosis. I ordered it anyway and poped it in last night and it fired right up. I also thought it was my ignition switch, but I ruled that out. I was on my 2nd switch and I know how flaky these thing are. Just wanted to share my experience and hope someone else can use it to save them time.

-Mike

Naumoff
April 18th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Hi Mike,
Put a leash on the daughter tell work you can't come in when the sun is shining, put some miles on your Cobra and all will be well.:D
It is usually the magnetic pick up.
I have heard of this more than a few times with MSD distributors.
A pain in the rear more than anything.
Also the carbon button for the rotor in the cap falls out.
Give that a check as well just to make sure it is still in.

RJacobsen
April 18th, 2008, 12:08 PM
MSD makes a model with dual pickups, one being a backup to the other one, almost sounds like they don't trust there own equipment.