PDA

View Full Version : Dyno question

TurnpikeBoy
May 20th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I did a quick search of posts looking for some info on anybody having done some chassis dyno work.....but came up a bit short.

Specifically, where are the best tie-down points on the car for dyno'ing? I've got an opportunity to dyno the car but want to figure out just where it should be tied down before giving it over to the tech. I'm extremely leery of just hooking up to the lower control arms - but short of those, what's left?

So. For those who have done this, where did they tie yours down?

-Roger

nolastyankee
May 28th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Roger,
We tied down to the rear control arms and over the center suspension cross member.

There's just not a good place on the back to hit the chassis.

TurnpikeBoy
May 29th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Thank you, Brian - kind of what I thought.

I'm gonna have to grow longer arms to reach up and over the center crossmember. Ah, we'll see what happens.

-Roger

arrowdriver
July 10th, 2008, 06:46 AM
What kind of dyno numbers are members getting? I have the dyno for my 427 when it was first bult and it peaked at 490 hp at about 5200 then pretty much stayed level to 6200 which was the max rpm they went to. Max torque was 520 at 4200 but this didn't decline much with increasing rpm, still 490 at 5200.

weaver
July 10th, 2008, 08:03 AM
You need to find a place on the frame unless you want to replace broken lower control arm bracket bolts, not much fun.

Alan

rosco
July 10th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I just had mine chassis dynoed two weeks ago. We tied down to the center cross member making sure the straps went under the control arms.

So far, no problems and am hopeful to keep it that way...

Send me a pm if needed...

Gino

TurnpikeBoy
July 12th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Gino, the crossmember under the driveshaft? And did you go to the front and the back with tiedowns from there? - or just the back?

That sounds like a more-doable tiedown point....one I can reach, anyway. Thanks, amigo, this gives me a better feeling :).

-Roger

rosco
July 14th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Roger,

Tied down to the back; make sure the straps go under the control arms. Also, when you back the car on the rollers, make sure the car is centered on the rollers - no negative or positive position...

I really enjoyed the experience; I need to have a better supply of fuel to the engine. My A/F started good but way to lean at the higher RPM's.

My car made 410 RWHP and 415 RWTQ with the fuel supply problem as well as timing being way to advanced! I plan to address these items as well as some better flow side pipes. Based on my engine (Dyno) results I expect RWHP and TQ to be around 450-470.

Oh yea, the dyno that my car was tested on is a Mustang II Chassis Dyno; My understanding of this dyno is that its real conservative as compared to others - not really sure what this means :confused:

The chassis dyno will really help in finding issues and optimal tuning. Let me know how you do!

Good Luck!

Give me a call if you want to discuss further

936-689-7109

TurnpikeBoy
July 14th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Gino, got stock in Goodyear or Bridgestone? - it would probably help, since you're gonna use a lot of their products :)

That is a stellar output, even without fuel delivery issues. What size motor is in your car? - and do you run an electric pump or mechanical? From the sound of it, looks like your return trip will be most satisfying.

I just may give you a shout as the day gets a little closer; probably toward the end of August. Always good to hear the Voice Of Experience!

Thanks again -

-Roger