PDA

View Full Version : AC Pedals - wlewis

JeepSnake
May 21st, 2008, 07:48 AM
Walter, I found a post in searching about AC pedals where you described attaching the AC pedals to the fronts of the existing Wilwood pedals with modified bolts and such. Do you have any photos of what you did? That's one of my next little projects and I think your method is what I'm going to want to use.

(Thought I'd post as a thread instead of a PM, as others might like to see how you installed them.)

Jerry Cowing
May 21st, 2008, 09:35 AM
Zack,

One of the things I don't like about our Wilwood pedals is they appear to be designed to be mounted on the floor and we mount them under the dash. Consequently, the pedal pads do not sit flat against your foot when pushed. I'd like to see the pedal arm bent or use a pad adapter that would keep the pad flat against your foot.

Any ideas?

Brent
May 21st, 2008, 01:56 PM
Jerry I totally agree. When I cut mine off I angled them a bunch to face slightly upward and remain in flat contact with your foot the whole time.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5581&highlight=PEDALS

wlewis
May 21st, 2008, 08:07 PM
Zach,
I just took a few pictures, but I couldn't get a meaningful side angle shot, but perhaps I can sketch a diagram. Unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to figure out how to attach pictures much less scan one, but I can e mail you a shot from the front angle if you'll send me an address. PM is Ok if you prefer. Fax # for the diagram will work for me. Sorry i'm so computer challenged.
Walter

JeepSnake
May 22nd, 2008, 05:29 AM
Walter, you have a PM.

Jerry & Brent, I had not thought about altering the angle of the pads, but you're right. I'll have to give some thought to a shim piece.

After looking at the AC pedals again, I may wind up buying new ones. These are of indeterminate origins - they were loose in the car when John bought it, and he tossed them in when I bought it from him. The casting is nowhere near as nice as what is shown on Finishline's site, so I may get a set of theirs. The ones I have do not have any sharpness to the details, and look pretty porous - all indications of an inferior casting. I may just use them to work out my mounting details, then get nice ones. We'll see.

wlewis
May 22nd, 2008, 09:01 AM
Zach,
Check your email for pics and drawings and call me,
Walter

Naumoff
May 23rd, 2008, 04:49 AM
They are designed to pivot so they will remain flat with the surface of your foot. Bolting them solid to the pedal would not be the greatest way to install them.
I would modify the assembly to let the pedal pivot.

Look at the side view of the pedal. That tit on the back of the pedal could be drilled to do this.

http://www.finishlineaccessories.com/catalog/images/ACPedals.jpg

wlewis
May 23rd, 2008, 07:36 AM
If bolted directly to the Willwood pedal, at the correct angle, they'll be fine.

JeepSnake
May 23rd, 2008, 07:51 AM
I'm going to solid-mount like Walter did. Yeah, I know that the AC pedals were built to pivot. But, the Wilwood pedal assembly isn't, and 99.99% of the brake pedals in the world don't pivot. Once I modify the angle like we've talked about, there's really no selling point to me on going through the trouble & expense of changing the Wilwood parts to accommodate the pivoting feature.

Of bigger concern is the fact that the AC pedals I have in hand are crap in the quality department. I don't know where they came from, but the castings are extremely porous, and the mold or dies they were cast in were obviously worn out. All the edges are rounded off on the ribbing and lettering, and the depth of the ribbing is no more than 1/16", if that much in places! I'm about to order a set from Finishline.

Naumoff
May 23rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
I think the pedals are not in the best position now. The wear marks on mine are on the very top right corners of the pedal.
What angle do you solidly mount them?
Rocked forward at the top?

wlewis
May 23rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
My AC pedals are mounted directly to Willwood pedals, but at an angle. Don't know exact angle, but I would guess around 30 degrees. Two screws were used, each with the head ground or filed down to narrow the width on the head so it will fit into and lock inside one of the AC pedal's slots. Top screw is about an inch long and lower is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long.
The upper portion of AC pedal is screwed directly on top of the Willwood. Lower portion is about 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches out from lower section of Willwood. Bottom screw has a nut directly on backside AC pedal, with about an inch to 1 1/2 of thread showing, then a second nut, then it goes thru the Willwood with a third nut on backside of Willwood. If you'll give me an e mail address, I'll send you a few pictures and a very crude drawing.
Walter

Naumoff
May 23rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
My AC pedals are mounted directly to Willwood pedals, but at an angle. Don't know exact angle, but I would guess around 30 degrees. Two screws were used, each with the head ground or filed down to narrow the width on the head so it will fit into and lock inside one of the AC pedal's slots. Top screw is about an inch long and lower is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long.
The upper portion of AC pedal is screwed directly on top of the Willwood. Lower portion is about 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches out from lower section of Willwood. Bottom screw has a nut directly on backside AC pedal, with about an inch to 1 1/2 of thread showing, then a second nut, then it goes thru the Willwood with a third nut on backside of Willwood. If you'll give me an e mail address, I'll send you a few pictures and a very crude drawing.
Walter

Thanks Walter.

anaumoff@comcast.net

eliminator
May 27th, 2008, 06:38 AM
The originals did pivot and had a spring on them to keep them in the correct position. If you look at a Superformance Car they have copied the original style mount.
I am going to have my pedals machined and mount the AC Pedals where they will pivot, it's something I have always wanted to do but it's a lot of work to make it come out correctly. When I pull it off the back burner I will document the project.;)

nolastyankee
May 28th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Zach,
I'll post some pics of our pedal modifications. We changed both the brake pedal and gas to accomodate the AC pedals by cutting off the existing and solid mounting them. Since the AC pedal is curved and there is just not that much throw a solid mount is fine.

For now, here is an old post showing what we did with the gas pedal. It's solid mounted through the nub on the back of the pedal. It could have been mounted to rotate but with the short throw it didn't seem worth the trouble.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/showpost.php?p=54221&postcount=1