PDA

View Full Version : Pinging PBrown!

TurnpikeBoy
July 8th, 2008, 05:29 PM
If you can, I would like to pick your brain regarding the Innovate Motorsports LM-1 units. I seem to recall you've had some experience with these tools.

Lots of questions here, too. Since there are several ways to buy these things, what is the most useful setup for a carbed engine tune? Obviously the LM-1 itself, but is the RPM converter a good idea? I think the AuxBox is overkill for a car without EFI - correct or no? Finally, did this thing help power and mileage? - with fuel costs what they are, and various claims out there that say you can get big improvements to both, how did you make out?

Thanks for your time and input - any advise you can offer would be a big help for an old goat like me, who is intrigued but not yet sold.

-Roger Payne

pbrown
July 8th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I have an LM-1 and the LMA-3 Auxbox. The LM-1 can record 45 minutes from 6 sensors including the WBO2. The LM-1 by itself does a great job of monitoring and recording O2 but playing back the recorded data loses something without the extra data points. I use the Auxbox to monitor and record O2, TPS, MAP, RPM, and fuel pressure. I can add one more sensor before having to use something like the DL-32 (which can log 32 data points).

Having the extra sensor data is really helpful when analyzing data after a driving session.

As far as mileage, It's hard for me to say. I have no doubt that it is better. Before starting to fine tune my AFR at idle was 10:1 and my cruising AFR was about 12:1. I now have an idle AFR of 12:5 (slightly rich is required for larger cams to idle right) and my cruise and highway AFR is between 14.5:1 and 15:1. I will be taking the car down to Salem OR in August so I'll try to track mileage at that time.

I might have gone with the LC-1 instead of the LM-1 if I were to start over. The LC-1 is a permenent install with a gauge in the dash. It can still data log to a laptop.

pbrown
July 8th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Here's a photo of my fuel pressure sender.

TurnpikeBoy
July 8th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks, Pat. I was thinking cheap, that maybe having just the engine speed correlated to the A/F ration would be adequate.....but I can see how having the MAP and fuel pressure inputs would be helpful. Not sure if the TPS would add much, but defer to your experiences.

Thanks much, amigo.

-Roger

pbrown
July 8th, 2008, 08:01 PM
A LC-1 plus an Auxbox would be a nice setup. You don't need a gauge, just a laptop sitting on the passenger seat. The TPS is a nice thing to have but really not nessesary.

The most important would be O2, RPM, and MAP. The Auxbox has a built in MAP sensor and you can wire your tach lead in there too. It also has a two axis accelerameter that wouldbe great at the track to measure g-forces.