PDA

View Full Version : sparkplugs for 427 side oiler

arrowdriver
July 11th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I was wondering what others who are running a 427 use for plugs. Mine came with Champion RF11YC plugs and while I don't notice any pinging and they are like new, I wonder if there are better choices considering the fuel we have these days. Highest octane I can get at the pumps here is 92 unleaded. I do fly a plane so when around home I have access to 100 low lead which I have blended into the 92 but if on the road this is not an option. I was wondering if a colder plug might not be a bad idea. When I pulled some of the plugs they look a bit whiter than I figured they should, but like I said, it seems to run fine though with the loud side pipes a lot could go on up front that you wouldn't hear.

eliminator
July 14th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Arrowdriver,

If you will use the seach feature on this forum you willl be able to find a wealth of information on nearly every subject you have asked about.
Just do spark plugs and there is all kind of info out there, you will have to sort through it to find the 427 info, and some is applicable to all engines.[thumb]

arrowdriver
July 14th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestion of using the search though I had already done that. I found on my shelf an old box of new Champion F11YC's, the same heat range as the ones I pulled but non-resistor so I installed them, set the lash to 0.025 cold and took it for drive. Runs a lot smoother and throttle response is a bit better too. I suspect the lash adjustment might have had the biggest influence on the difference as some of them were as much as 0.036 or worse. I doubt that it had been done since the engine was built 4000 miles ago. I live at 4500 ft above sealevel so can get by with a bit hotter plug than those near sea level since our compression pressure is not as high but will be looking for a F9YC or one of the other colder plugs for future use. Haven't had time to throw a timing light on it but will do that when we get back in a couple of weeks.

Next questions I will have will relate to tires I think.

eliminator
July 14th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Most of us here that have the 427 engines have not had good luck with the Champion Plugs.....worst ones I have run in my car. The Autolite and Motorcraft plugs have been real good.

Mine is a solid lifter engine, 10.5 - 1 compression ratio, MSD distributor and box, about 500 HP and torque. It likes 36 - 38 degrees total timing and Autolite plugs, will have to look at my plug numbers when I get home. I have a Reed Cam and it calls for about a .004 difference in valve lash between the intake and exhaust. Will check that out also. I am running a single 4 ( Holley 3310, 780 cfm Pro Form body) on an aluminum Blue Thunder Medium Rise Intake with Edelbrock aluminum heads that have the Medium Rise valves installed.

arrowdriver
July 14th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Today I spoke to the guy who built my engine 17 years ago and amazingly he still recalls it and the car. He confirmed what Alan here had told me that they had built the car with a 428CJ as he recalled pulling the 428 out and putting in the 427. The 427 came out of a 16 ft single vee boat if you imagine that combination. He said the fibreglass hull was so light you could see through it and without the engine the boat weighed about 350 lbs. Must have been a blast to drive. Anyhow he runs the HESCO shop in Birmingham and has worked there for Lee Hurley since 89. His suggestion was to set initial timing at 8 or 10 and limit total to 30-32 which it should reach by 3000 or a little more.

I'm going to go dig out the timing light.

arrowdriver
July 14th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Wow, it was about 22 degrees initial, way too much. Glad I never tried full throttle. Reset to 12 and checked the advance, rolls to about 30 at 3500 then stops so I think it is good to go. The short drive I took sure showed a difference, runs smoother and great throttle response. I was wondering about engine temp but if anything it stays a bit cooler though today is a bit cool so that might be the reason. Going away tomorrow for a couple weeks so will be looking at getting back to it then. The local club (mostly those Factory Five things with donor guts) is having a get together Aug 9th so it will be fun to show them what a good Cobra is like.