PDA

View Full Version : questions from a nonmechanic

dave55
August 6th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I have a 351w and when I took it out of winter storage, I have noticed that the engine does not want to start when the engine is warm and has been off for a few minutes. It will start immediately after you shut it down but not after it sits a few minutes. If you let it cool down completely it wil crank first try. The engine has an edelbrock carb with electric choke, performer rpm heads and cam. I am not a mechanic and would appreciate any help diagnosing the problem.
Thanks David:confused:

RJacobsen
August 6th, 2008, 04:30 PM
David, A little more info will help, by not wanting to start do you mean that it dosn't want to crank over or that it cranks over normally but doesn't fire?

pgermond
August 7th, 2008, 09:07 PM
This sounded somewhat familiar, so I did some poking around in some old posts and found this -

"i had an interesting time last year with a similar issue. car started and ran fine when cold but as soon as it got hot it would magically stall. 30 minutes later it would restart again only to stop again when hot. It turned out to be the magnetic pickup in the distributor. heat would cause it to short out."

scott h
August 8th, 2008, 07:07 AM
its most likely carb related. my 351w fires up easily when cold, but takes some work when hot. it may be a matter of experimenting with whether you pump the throttle or not, i have'nt exactly figured mine out

pgermond
August 8th, 2008, 08:04 AM
It could be a fuel issue...... you mentioned an electric choke. Those things are more trouble than they are worth. Check to see if the choke butterfly on the carb is opening properly when it warms up. If not, it an easy adjustment.

dmiller
August 8th, 2008, 08:38 AM
i have a 351 W stroked to 408, with elbrock fuel injection. your "Hot" start problem description fits my experience too.

my next thought is to wrap the starter with insulation, seems to turn over a little more slowly when hot. i had thought it was just the compression was higher due to better sealing when hot, but maybe a cooler starter motor will help.

thoughts?

ralphscott
August 8th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Suggestion: With my 351 in the Mustang when the car is hot and I start it I pump the accelerator once and wait 10-15 seconds and then turn it over without my foot on the accelerator. Basically I am putting gas into the intake, allowing it to vaporize before I fire it up. It avoids the potential flooding problem.

It may work for you then again it may not just a suggestion...

Ralph

COBRAGAR
August 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I Had A Similiar Issue About 5 Months Ago. After Trouble Shooting For About 2hrs. I Found That The Magnetic P/up Inside The Distributor Was Bad .bought A New One Problem Solved.