PDA

View Full Version : DeLorme Topo program

JeepSnake
August 8th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Hey y'all!

Mom got me the DeLorme Topo mapping software for the eastern US last Christmas, and I just have to say, this is a neat program! I've had plenty of other things to keep me busy what with the baby arriving and all, so I just am getting around to playing with the program enough to really start learning how to use it. (It's not really intuitive to use at first.)

I plugged in the route I want to take from Ocoee, TN, to Maggie Valley (we're going up a few days early this time), and it churned out the usual mileage info, etc. But, here's the cool thing: the elevation profile of the route. The stats it can generate are really interesting - how many miles you spend climbing vs. descending, gross ascent and gross descent, net elevation change, etc.

All of the data you generate in the program can be loaded to GPS and vice-versa. (I haven't gone for the GPS yet, still preferring paper maps in the field. I tend to either memorize the route I want to take beforehand, or just don't even use a route!)

Anyhow, for any of you map junkies out there like me, it's a cool program.

RJacobsen
August 9th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Interesting stuff Zach, looks like a trip for your Jeep and not the Cobra.

eliminator
August 11th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I have a Garmin GPS that I have the TOPO USA and Road Maps installed. In our business we have been using this stuff since about 1995. Much better now then then. Plus with the GPS you can see how accuare your speedometer is. :banana:We are distributors for DeLorme and sell a lot of their products.