PDA

View Full Version : ordered deluxe kit 7/08. southern Indiana

robbinsshkr
August 9th, 2008, 06:56 PM
just ordered deluxe kit last month for the 427. twenty year freindship with "Brent" I think you all know Brent from Indiana, great guy! Brent was a big inspiration in my passion for drag racing and my building of this cobra. I think Brents Cobra probably inspired everyone who ever seen it. one of the nicest around! I just sold my 7 second 64 corvette and a 67 nova driver (283, four speed) Time to build the ultimate street car. Unique seems to be as good as they come. I hope you don't mind my many questions during this build. everyone seems to be more than willing to help a fellow cobra owner. I hope I can contribute back some how. should take delivery in December. leaning towards a 408 or 427ci stroker and top loader,but welcome any input I can get from all of you. Eddie

pgermond
August 9th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the madness. Brent has been an inspiration to us all.... so you're not alone.

We'll look forward to your hearing/reading about your progress.

Naumoff
August 10th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Good Choice! The build will be easy with the deluxe Pallet kit.

I say with your racing background get a 427W and a TKO600 with a .82 OD and a 3.25 gear.

gasman
September 11th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Good Choice! The build will be easy with the deluxe Pallet kit.

I say with your racing background get a 427W and a TKO600 with a .82 OD and a 3.25 gear.

I just so happen to have one of those for sale. :doh:

robbinsshkr
September 12th, 2008, 06:11 AM
one of those what for sale, the 427w, the tko 600 or the 3.25 gear?
thanks Eddie

gasman
September 12th, 2008, 07:04 PM
The entire car, complete as you plan to build in all liklihood, only mine would have cost a hell of a lot less and saved you the build time. Can you tell I'm very frustrated?

robbinsshkr
September 12th, 2008, 07:42 PM
yea i can,but why? i take it your having problems with the car. are they bad enough that you would actually sell it, or just talking out of frustraition. cheaper would have no doubt been nice, but i relly am looking forward to the build. if these cars require constant attention, they'll be right up my alley. i've got to constantly be doing something after work to keep me occupied as i have severe insomnia. i honestly only sleep about an hour a night total,15 or so minutes at a time. what in perticular are you frustrated with?

Master
September 13th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I think what Gasman is saying about his car is that it is a soft market out there for alot of things including Cobra's. His car is well sorted out and is very nice. If I had the coin I would buy it. One for the street and one for the track. :BEER:

TurnpikeBoy
September 13th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Frustrated only that he hasn't sold it. And I can honestly understand that, since the car is awful nice and priced reasonably. Sometimes I wish I was starting the hunt for a car, and could have found one like Steve's.

If you're sleeping only an hour or so, guess you'll be done with the build in about a week or so, right? ;) Actually, you will find it far more quick and easy than you probably have imagined. And - in regard to reliability - well, you'll be finding things to do to the car not because it needs it, but rather because you just gotta find SOMEthing to do to it! The car just invites playing, so don't worry about keeping busy. Roughly 18K miles with mine and I'm still thinking of stuff to mess with.

It probably won't be as much of a rush as a 7 second Corvette, but it has its' own way of squirting adrenaline into your system. Best of luck with all - hardest part will be deciding color and paint.

gasman
September 13th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Hey Guys, Thanks for the nice comments about my car. It is well sorted out and a very nice car.

If someone wants to build a nice car, I will disassemble it and ship it to you in boxes. [thumb]

ralphscott
September 13th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Hey Steve you would not believe the gasoline prices in Knoxville 4.69 per gallon for regular unleaded. It was noted that the price wave extended up to Atlanta. I find it hard to believe it is anything other than people panic as there is a pretty good inventory in place. Got a take on this?

Ralph

Brent
September 13th, 2008, 11:42 AM
The point is this:

TurnpikeBoy
September 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM
The point is this:
He said he ordered a deluxe pallet kit and a Super FE from S.A. AND IS SET TO PICK IT UP IN THE NEXT 60 DAYS.

And, he said he's really looking forward to the build.

Points being: #1, he's already committed to the purchase from both, likely with the $$ paid out and secured;, and #2, he wants to build, not buy.

No harm, no foul. Easy, Brent, easy. Can't think anybody who want to sell one right now could be very happy....even thems that rake in the luxurious 1% per gallon ;)

-Roger

RJacobsen
September 13th, 2008, 06:46 PM
First of all, Eddie, welcome to the forum. I think that I am safe in saying that everyone here is willing if not eager to help a fellow owner with any kind of build question. Some of us thrive on this stuff; so don’t hesitate to ask away. Also please post all the pictures you can along the way so we can watch the progress. Now as for the negative posts that are part of this thread I want to say to Eddie that this is by no means the normal kind of discussion that goes on here. And even though Brent’s post is pretty tame it is the first time I have seen any member dump on another one for any reason. I’m not sure if Gasman’s post was done with the hope that he had found a potential buyer for his car or not but it does seem that way and in my book any attempt to queer an already done deal is just bad business no matter what you are selling. For now I’m going to side with Brent on this one and hope that we haven’t given you the wrong impression of the kind of people we have here.

TurnpikeBoy
September 13th, 2008, 08:19 PM
There must be something I've missed here, or in some preceding posts.

I would have sworn that Gasman posted an expression of frustration - he DID SAY he was frustrated - but somehow I missed an offer of sale. If it WAS an offer, well....I certainly didn't see it. My apologies for being so blind.

I did read, however, that Eddie is definitely eager for the build, and that he did place the order with the Weavers. Based solely on what he sold off to get into the Cobra, it is my perception that he will be doing the build himself, and not interested in buying a turnkey. I did also read that he was interested in parts, thinking that maybe Steve had something he could use. After re-reading Eddie's first and subsequent posts, I don't see anything in there about buying from SA. And Brent, since you guys are friends, you clearly have better insight into what Ed's needs and intents are. I suppose that's what gives rise to your clearly directed post at Gasman.

Ed - truly do hope you don't get put off by all this momentary agitation. You're gonna love doing this car, and will forever be finding reasons to spend $$ on it, in a whole lot of different ways. Driving it will be the pleasure you've been looking for, and lasts a whole lot longer than 7 seconds at a clip. The Weavers are, by far, the most competent, available, knowledgeable, and honest business people I've had the honor of being associated with ever. Finally, you can be certain that people who frequent this website will rarely exhibit an ulterior motive - they are far more direct, much more along the lines of posts above.

-Roger

gasman
September 14th, 2008, 06:00 AM
You didn't miss anything Roger, Brent is reading words into my post that simply are not there.

TurnpikeBoy
September 14th, 2008, 06:37 AM
That's just what I thought. I sure didn't see anything below the belt there....didn't get how this touched some nerves.

Anyway. Thank you kindly for your clarification. And when I find a body who just has to have a world-class turnkey, he'll be knockin on your door!

-Roger

robbinsshkr
September 14th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Where do i start? It seems as if i opened up a can of worms somehow. I will atempt to clear all of this up as it seems i am the one that some how instigated it by posting what i thought was an innocent reply to Gasmans statement "i just happen to have one of those for sale" the previous post mentioned a trans, engine and a gear to which i thought was "one of those" for sale items gas man was referring to. it was in gasmans reply that i learned for the first time his car was for sale and that he was frustrated, but i had no clue as to why. i assumed the frustration was due to build problems or reliability issues of some kind, as these post are full of "frustrations" due to clutch issues, toggle switches, head lights,etc. i was clueless it had anything to do with the inability to sell his car. i guess in the future i should research someones entire post before asking the question "one of those what for sale?", but that being said, i had stated in my previous post that i had ordered my DPK, i beleive posted back in august. i had again made this a known fact, as well as my commitment for a super FE through S/A in a post dated sept, 11. As far as Brent's comment...Whenever possible, Brent has always looked out for my best interest. I am also well aware of how he feels about the Weavers. he told me of their honesty and of their having everyones best interest in mind and that it wasn't just about selling a car to someone. I think this is what prompted Brent to comment about taking a sell away from the Weavers or S/A. Perhaps he was returning the favor, and looking out for the best interest of the Weavers as they have for for us all. Gasman, i have no doubt that your car is nice and i'm sure it we be a great buy for someone.
I appreciate your offer to sell me your turnkey ride, but it is the build i'm after as much as anything. I have two sons, 12 & 14 that would no doubt love to get in a car and go, but i feel they will get so much more out of being part of the build with their dad. We all pretty much know a car or just about anything for that matter can be purchased cheaper than it can be built for, but none of us build these cars with the intentions of selling them for a profit, especially if you count your time as a monetary value.
I hope Brent still feels as if he's welcome to post here and i hope all of you feel he is welcome. I am aware Brent no longer has a cobra, but brent's abilities, craftmanship, knowledge and humor has been apparent all throughout these threads / post and has no doubt been an assett to most everyone at least one time or another. oh yeah, if you don't know, Brent doesn't sugarcoat anything and he pretty much tells things as he see's them, but it has been mentioned by Brent numerous times on here.
It's not about the cars, it's about the people. i just hope my recent presence within these post doesn't change anything between any of you.
If it appears that it will be a problem, just say the word. There is a ton of great information in here and i could use the help as much as anyone, but if any of you feel i need to keep my comments and questions to myself, it's not a problem. I'm plenty capable of building a top notch ride on my own, even if it comes through my own trial and error.
Eddie :BEER:

TurnpikeBoy
September 14th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Eddie, it will be OUR loss if you were to decide to pull the plug here. Please DON'T - every new guy or posting brings another new way of looking at things, and that's why we all keep coming here. You did nothing, repeat nothing out of order. Nuthin.

The build will be a great trip for the kids - they'll have their hands into a piece that all their friends are gonna crave (just like we do :) ). All good, amigo.

And - in my opinion - Brent will forever be a part of this forum, just as will Steve. They're too much a part of the overall discussions, too much a part of the ideas, too much a part of this lovely dysfunctional family ;) to ever be sent packing. Hell, did you ever know ANY brothers who didn't occasionally take a whack at each other? It's just a fact of life....no big deal.

Glad to have you aboard, amigo. Good times ahead!

gasman
September 14th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Eddie, there is no doubt in my mind you will build an incredible car. With Brent as a friend, neighbor, and master craftsmen, you can’t fail. As you have heard here and experienced first hand, the Weaver’s are fantastic before and after the sale. The problem for me is these things are not easy to sell when the time comes. Let’s face it, with gasoline costing what it does; high performance cars that get poor gas mileage and are dangerous to operate aren’t high on the list for anyone looking for fun transportation. So with that said, yes I’m frustrated that no one is looking for a turn key. Let me assure you that circumventing anyone’s sale of a new car or motor was never on my mind any more than it was Brent’s when he sold his car and prevented someone from ordering a turn key from the Weaver’s. I truly hope you enjoy the build and ownership experience and wish that I had said nothing at all. All I wanted to say was, my car is still for sale and can be acquired for less than the collective total of parts. There was never any devious plan to undercut anyone. Please forgive me for adding disparity to your build thread if it was percieved that way. Good luck.

eliminator
September 15th, 2008, 07:09 AM
First of all you don't have to have a Cobra to post on this site....look at the member list.
Everyone has opinions, and intentions, not everone is going to agree on all statements. Some folks have agenda's on this forum, like it or not it's always been that way.
So it's been my take and my history if you get under my skin I will let you know about it in no uncertain terms. And I for one won't sit back and be politically correct, not my nature, and for those that have a problem with that, tough.
Besides you have to know the past history of events that have occured in order to understand what is presently happening OK. So I can see where Brent is coming from and I understand that part, some of you don't.
Like the old saying "you cant see the forrest for the trees".

Now for Ralphs concerns with fuel prices, In KY the state is getting ready to drop the hammer on the fuel distributors, the state claims they are overpricing it and gouging the retailers who in turn have to sell it higher than it should be to you the consumer. Especially true in the Louisville area. The State Attorney Generals is involved.

ralphscott
September 15th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Hey Rick Ditto TN, prices are coming down $0.50 in one move today from 4.99 to 4.59.

We had to go to NC this weekend got gasoline for 4.49 on Sat.

If the Colonial pipeline is not pumping and 25% of US refinery capacity down for 9 days then the fuel is in inventory, not new production or shifts from other US markets. It sure does lend one to think this is a little over the top. We do have lots of fuel availability but the high price is indeed slowing demand.

Eddie -- This is like one big family, and a great one at that. My best friends are part of this family and you will soon be part of this family. The experience of the build is something you will cherish, talk and think about for years. A wiser person told me that I will enjoy the build more than the driving of the car. I thought he was more than a little off. I guess I 'm a little off as well, as now that I did my build and all the things I have changed and reworked Lil Cobra is part of our family and the build experience is huge. My dad taught me a lot about tools and how to use them, I learned more during the build process, but the best part was that I could take my Dad out in Lil Cobra before he died. It made me feel great and him as well as it is was the culmination of my skills that he was a large part in developing in me.
Ralph

gasman
September 15th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Eddie, I’m sorry for the hijack on your thread, maybe you can start a new one and I promise not to post a word other than to wish you luck.

Rick and Ralph, I’ve been in gasoline distribution for 23 years and it is hard for me to ignore the ignorance displayed by most of the people thinking everyone in the industry is evil. The problem we are experiencing with supply is only partially hurricane related.

The EPA requires each State’s compliance to meet the seasonal RVP changes in gasoline formulation. To do this, the terminals must work their inventories to the lowest possible levels so that when the pipeline re-supplies the storage terminal, the gasoline dispensed is meeting the RVP requirement for that season. When hurricane Ike hit Houston, most of the entire Southeast was on tank bottoms awaiting supply of gasoline meeting fall requirements, the timing couldn’t have been worse. Colonial Pipeline cannot pump product through the line without product to push it forward. When the power went out in Houston, it affected every delivery point between there and New York Harbor. It had nothing to do with existing supply that was already in the line. Without power, the pumping stations cannot push the product forward.

My cost today on gasoline was $5.26/gallon; I sold it for two cents/gallon profit. My normal unlimited supply was limited to two loads for the entire day. The grocery store chain I sold it to sold it for 3.99/gallon so that they would not be accused of price gouging. They took a loss of 1.27/gallon, so tell me, who is price gouging?

ralphscott
September 15th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Steve I don't think the industry is evil, or that you are evil or unethical, but not all players in the indutry are ethical. I have been in the energy business since 1975 with two decades of association with EIA. I am certainly not ignorant as to the energy market. EPA did suspend the RVP due to the hurricane concerns. I was not aware that the inventory was at the level you indicated in the Southeast. The key question is why did you have to pay $5.26 a gallon if it was existing inventory. That raises questions regarding up-stream suppliers. Yes I am a capitalist, but in case of a national crisis price gouging will be examined.

Ralph

gasman
September 16th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Steve I don't think the industry is evil, or that you are evil or unethical, but not all players in the indutry are ethical. I have been in the energy business since 1975 with two decades of association with EIA. I am certainly not ignorant as to the energy market. EPA did suspend the RVP due to the hurricane concerns. I was not aware that the inventory was at the level you indicated in the Southeast. The key question is why did you have to pay $5.26 a gallon if it was existing inventory. That raises questions regarding up-stream suppliers. Yes I am a capitalist, but in case of a national crisis price gouging will be examined.

Ralph

Suspending RVP requirements did little to nothing to help supply when the product we needed was in the non functioning pipeline. The only product we had available to us was priced on a Platts contract. Platts is priced off the Nymex values which are manipulated by hedge traders. The method of placing value on products in times of crisis should certainly be examined. That examination should start in NYC, little place called Wall Street.

ralphscott
September 16th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Steve, that is why the speculators moved their operations to the UK so they could continue to manipulate the spot price of crude without US oversight to the detriment of our national security, our economy is now being held hostage by our enemies.

On RVP:

US EPA Waives Fuel Standards In Ohio, Virginia
DOW JONES NEWSWIRES 12 Sep 2008 9:31 p.m.:
WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency waived fuel standards Friday for Ohio and Virginia, citing the disruption of fuel supplies related to Hurricane Ike and Hurricane Gustav.
The action will allow certain areas in Virginia to use conventional gasoline instead of reformulated gasoline, and will allow parts of Ohio to sell fuel that exceeds summer requirements for volatility.
The Virginia waiver expires Sept. 26. The Ohio waiver expires Sept. 15.
---------

Fuel Waiver Response 2008
Fuel Waivers have been issued for the following States:
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas
On September 11, EPA issued an emergency waiver through September 15 of the Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) and ethanol requirements for gasoline in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee, and of the RVP, ethanol and reformulated gasoline requirements for Texas through September 30.

Ohio: On September 12, EPA issued an emergency waiver of the 7.8 psi Reid Vapor Pressure requirements in Ohio.

Virginia: On September 12, EPA issued an emergency waiver through September 26, of the Reformulated Gasoline requirements in Virginia.
-------
The only way to reduce speculators impact on the maket is to increase their risk so we need to Drill Here Drill Now!!

Ralph

gasman
September 16th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Ralph, If there hadn't been RVP requirements in place BEFORE the hurricane, the tanks throughout the Southeast would have been full. The hurricane would have been an minor agriviation because supply would not have been an issue after the storm. Lifting RVP AFTER the hurricane only creates more serious supply problems related to price gouging. Each State needs every drop of product it has to avoid outages. Trucking product several hundred miles to another state drives the cost up even more.

This could easily be fixed if the EPA would allow transitional phases to meet RVP requirements over a month instead of a target date. Unfortunately, they take a very hard line on this and do not allow storage terminals this flexability. We had the same problem with Katrina and will continue to have these problems as long as we have government telling us how to run our business.

ralphscott
September 16th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Steve, I think that will change if McCain gets elected, he is certainly not Bush. It can be done by Executive Order in the form of a suspension/modification for a defined period of time couched in National Security.

I'm off of this thread. I you want to communicate further on this topic send me a private message.

Ralph