PDA

View Full Version : Tail of the Dragon Saturday

Tony Radford
August 17th, 2008, 06:06 AM
As usual, the trip up to Deal's Gap was a good one. After a half day of hard cornering, I'm expecting the tire rub to become visible from the outside of the fender well. Alan, I need that anti sway bar! I don't know what it is, but around here it's almost impossible to get a group together for a cruise. But the FFR guys will gather from three or four states for a day on the twisties. For some reason, they seem to be the most passionate about the sport. I think I was the only non-FFR car there out of a dozen or so. Folks are always very complimentary of the little red car from Alabama. I must admit, some don't worry too much about adherence to "original" specs. I can just hear Bill now!

ralphscott
August 17th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Tony, Just in case you have not changed out your rear shocks to adjustable ones -- I also was having rear tire rub till I changed them. I do have a rear sway bar on Lil Cobra.

Just thought I'd mention that.

Ralph

Naumoff
August 17th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Tony,
I wish I was closer to the Tail I would ride with you.

I am for originality. Nice piece of work but I don't like it on a Cobra.

pgermond
August 17th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I like the red one! :)

brfutbrian
August 17th, 2008, 08:04 PM
if you liked it in a car, you should try it on a motorcycle. youll never use a car there again. you gotta muscle a car around to make time at the dragon. no effort at all on a bike, you just gotta know how to countersteer and have confidence in your riding. make sure you check out killboy and us129 photos for your pictures. im sure they had to be there on a saturday. later, brian.

traveler
August 18th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Tony , I live in Greenvile S.C. which is about 1 hr from the tail of the Dragon .

I used to spend alot of time up in the mountains trying to straighting out the curves before it became a fun thing to do .

As a matter of fact the highway that goes by my family home is the road the BMW uses sometime to test their cars . Highway 178 from Pickens S.C. to Brevard N.C.

I have had my Unique and many other cars , trucks , motocycles etc. on these roads many times and it is alot of fun .

I am much older ,a little slower and more careful than I was back then .

I still like running these roads though and do so as often as I get a chance .

Every time I see the emails about the TAIL Of The Dragon and Unique cars going I am literaly on the other side of the world in Jakarta , Indonesia which is where I am today .

Maybe next time I will be home and can join some of the UNIQUE owners there .

I hope to be home in time to go to Pigion Forge this year . The way I go is a nice ride through Cherokee over the Smokies to Seaverville .

Rick Findley

eliminator
August 18th, 2008, 05:43 AM
The guy should be at the Street Rod Nationals, I will take the red car any day.

Tony Radford
August 18th, 2008, 08:44 AM
The red car performed very well during the 450 mile 9 hour day. I do find myself occasionally doing things in traffic that aren't smart. I get bored on long interstate runs and forget that I'm not in an airplane. My car is like a drug, and not always in a good way. I'm old enought to know better. I think I need therapy. Maybe a month or two in a Yugo would help.

Tony Radford
August 18th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Here are some shots of our run on Saturday. http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/ThumbPage.aspx?e=4030669&g=01&s=700
Uniques stand out in a crowd, eh?