PDA

View Full Version : Clutch linkage question

robbinsshkr
September 29th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I am not necessarily wanting to change the current setup, but I am curious to ask if anyone has ever tried a different method for clutch engagement such as the cable set up that is on the newer mustangs or the typical "z-bar and linkage" configuration. I have read in the forums that there seems to be a lot of problems with the hydraulic systems, most of which seem to be heat related. Up to now I have only seen pictures, but I am guessing the hydraulic system is the only option due to the amount of room available or maybe the fiberglass foot box not being able to support the mounting location of other types. Just curious to know.
Thanks,
Eddie

Tony Radford
September 30th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Eddie, the hydraulic system works great if you get everything matched correctly. The standard set up was fine for me untl I increased the HP by about 30 percent and had to upgrade the clutch commensurately. More clamping pressure meant more travel which led to a need for a different slave. Just do the research before you start ordering parts.

eliminator
September 30th, 2008, 05:24 AM
As I have stated many times, no problem with HTB, the problem is between the ears![thumb]

robbinsshkr
September 30th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply, but i wasn't doubting that a hydraulic clutch system, either the HTB or the slave type didn't work or that it wasn't the way to go, because obviously it is. I stated early on in my question that it wasn't my intention to change an already well thought out system. Although I did mention that i have read about the heat related issues, I have also read the things that have been done to combat those issues. things such as higher temp fluid, heat sheilds, etc. My question was "why" Is it due to the mounting surface[fiberglass footbox] lack of room or ????? If I had the car in front of me, the reason[s] would be obvious, but I am still a couple months away from that day. I was asking purely out of being curious as to why or why not.
thanks again,
Eddie

RJacobsen
September 30th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Eddie, I don't know why a mechanical system couldn't be installed. I don't think that the foot boxes would need to be any stronger than they currently are. My guess is that the hydraulic system was just easier to adapt to the car.

weaver
October 1st, 2008, 05:42 AM
We didn't have a problem with the HTB for years but now we can't seem to get one to last more than a few hundred miles. I talked to the tech guy at Standard Trans in Tx and they are having the same problem, McLeod was bought out by a larger company and the quality went down. The last 5 turnkeys we built using the HTB all had to be changed over to a slave cylinder and that is what we are using fron now on.

Alan

eliminator
October 2nd, 2008, 05:24 AM
Thats not good.........

They need to get their act together, this is not a good time to have your sales go down because of QC problems.

mbenoit
October 5th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I built a mechanical clutch pedal assembly for mine after I tried an internal and external slave cylinder. The McLeod HTB blew a seal after I followed their install instructions. Their customer service was not particularly good either. The footbox is plenty strong if you mount the pedal assembly to the top of the box. The procedure to build the assembly is long so if you want to talk, shoot me a message. Once built, the assembly is ultra reliable.