PDA

View Full Version : Overhead hoist

robbinsshkr
October 17th, 2008, 11:38 AM
A while back I ask for ideas of what was being used to lift body's off the chassis. Thank you to everyone that replyed and sent photo's. I down loaded a photo of the overhead hoist i completed last night. it's not as mobile as a cherry picker, but takes up less room and allows for straight up lifting. ordered a 2000 lb electric hoist which should more than cover anything i would ever need to lift. just trying to stay occupied to keep from getting bored.:D
Eddie

RJacobsen
October 17th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Looks good Eddie, Wish I had your shop to work in.:)

robbinsshkr
October 17th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for both compliments:) My shop is actualy just a simple polebarn that i've tried to improve over time. the square ft price of a polebarn is a fraction of what a foundation based "stick built" would be. the two best things i did was to put the metal barn siding on the interior walls and ceiling. this added tremendous strength as everything is tied together, both inside and out, top to bottom. let me tell you that hanging 14' metal panels on the ceiling by yourself is a true challange, but i love the end results. the best thing i ever did was to install a waste oil heater. talk about cheap heat! 110 powers the blowers and a lift pump, while air straight from my compessor feeds the injectors.where i once had to pay someone to haul off all our used motor oil now free heat. no fumes, oders, smoke or mess of any kind and its very quite. you can easily work in shorts and a tee shirt in the middle of winter if you want to. i spend ALOT of time in my barn switching between wood working / carving, foolin with old cars and just alot of goofin around.constantly gotta be doing something, just like most of you guys. i should be able to pickup my DPK within the next two weeks [thumb]
Eddie

diegokid
October 18th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I just built a new metal building to build my car in. Where can I get more info on this waste oil heater?

robbinsshkr
October 18th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Here is a picture of the waste oil heater. It is made by lanair and can be bought factory direct or through the "northern" catalog. they come in all different sizes. they can be hung from the ceiling and use a remote tank or the route i chose was to use a 215 gallon tank as its base. you can get chimney's that go through the ceiling or wall. mine is rated to heat 5000 sf and burns about 1/2 gallon per hour. they'll burn pretty much anything or a cobination of things such as used oil, trans fluid, gear lube, deisel fuel, etc. they are expensive for a home shop [about $4,000], but giving $4-5.00 / gallon for keroseen to put in a noisy, stinky, burn your kids pant leg, torpedo / salamander heater, it doesnt take long to justify the initial expense, especially if you have access to or the need to get rid of used oil.It will help all your buddy's out too as they will have a place to dump their used oil. the local distributor was getting $1,000 each for installation, but i chose to install it myself without any problems. when i wired my barn i ran a 20 amp dedicated line to the heater. when installing the chimney you have to have at least 1/4'' per foot rise between the heater and chimney for proper draft.if you live anywhere close to me [southern in] i would be more than happy to help you if you do end up getting one.if you do anykind of work out of you home shop, its a tax write off. FYI
thanks,
Eddie

Naumoff
October 20th, 2008, 03:03 AM
SHOP ENVY!

Very nice. It is in the plans but a few more things on the list before it.