PDA

View Full Version : Top

Steve C.
December 31st, 2008, 11:15 AM
I am considering designing a convertable top of my on and was hoping someon ehad some scaled drawings of a 427 model so that I could explore some designs. I am not happy with anything I have seen thus far.

Steve

davebetts
December 31st, 2008, 01:19 PM
Have you seen the custom top available from UniqueMotorcars?
What are you not happy with?

Steve C.
December 31st, 2008, 02:00 PM
The overall proportions basically. I do not like how the rear section fall straight down behindthe roll bar. Would like to see something with more of a slope, but not as sloped as the hard tops I have seen.

weaver
January 1st, 2009, 01:18 PM
Our rear top bow is even with the roll bar and the top angles back at least 10" from there. How did you get, falls straight down behind the roll bar?

Alan

Slither
January 1st, 2009, 08:04 PM
Maybe you are thinking about Superformance with the steep back. The first pic is Juan's old Superformance car

The other two are of the Unique top on Donnie Thomas' car.

I don't have a side view shot of the Unique... anyone else? It doesn't look like they are the same.

Naumoff
January 2nd, 2009, 03:09 AM
here is a shot of my top from the side. Unique has the best looking soft top in my opinion but each to there own. :)
Steve we can hook up if you want to see it in person. You are not that far from me.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/medium/22067Tonuea_cover_install_9-25-05_009.jpg

Naumoff
January 2nd, 2009, 03:21 AM
here is another shot.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/MIR_Imports_vs_Domestics_103_Small_.jpg

Slither
January 2nd, 2009, 08:36 AM
There ya go! To me, it looks better than the Superfomance.

Thanks Tony:D.

JeepSnake
January 2nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
I think Unique's top slopes back a good deal more than original 427 tops do. I've seen photos of original 427 cars with soft tops that fit around the roll bar brace because they came down so drastically.

One option that would be really nice though... a zip-out rear window section, where the top can be used jeep bikini top style. Just leaving out the side curtains tends to make the top "inflate" and put a lot of stress on the various fasteners. Pulling out the rear window would relieve the pressure and let the wind pass through. This would be great for providing shade on those late August and early September afternoons when the sun is so brutal!

diegokid
January 2nd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Does anyone have any pics of the side windows installed?

Aggressor
January 2nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Steve, I had the soft top retro-fitted to my car in 2002 by Unique. The top was custom installed to the car and is a very high quality piece. The materials and workmanship are excellent. It still looks terrific after a lot of use during the 7 years that I've owned it. I have received quite a number of comments on how great the car looks top up. I consider it a great visual asset and really extends your "seat-time" here in the Northeast. Yesterday (January 1st) I opened her up a bit and let her sing on Interstate 81 Northbound for about an one hour before heading home.

What a fine....fine...really fine way to start the new Year.

I've added a few scanned images of original Cobra soft tops for review. Look at Tony's photos and compare. I feel Unique has done a great job of replicating the original.
Also included is a top-up image of Aggressor prior to the 2003 MotorTrend Productions Harrisburg Auto Show.

-Geary

Slither
January 2nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
Nice pics, Geary.

The original top looks like it had an opening where the rear fender top meets the cockpit right behind the door, since the top does not follow the body contour there... am I seeing things or is it there?

Aggressor
January 2nd, 2009, 11:03 PM
Paul, The original print shows the opening clearer. I found another top variation and scanned the image. The side curtains end as a curved piece of plexiglass that rotates for side ventilation.

-Geary

Naumoff
January 3rd, 2009, 01:35 AM
here's two diegokid. I have more angles if you need them.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee99/Naumoff_photos/SoftTop003.jpg?t=1230974977

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee99/Naumoff_photos/SoftTop005.jpg?t=1230975180

Slither
January 3rd, 2009, 06:08 AM
Paul, The original print shows the opening clearer. I found another top variation and scanned the image. The side curtains end as a curved piece of plexiglass that rotates for side ventilation.

-Geary

Very interesting... I wonder about adjusting the vent for part open operation vs. all the way opened or closed. Looks like the slider would be more user friendly.

Thanks

Slither
January 3rd, 2009, 06:10 AM
Tony, which part of the window moves, front or back? It looks like the rear portion slides forward. Does this blast you with wind when open?

Naumoff
January 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Paul,
The rear glass slides forward. It gives a nice amount of air for ventilation.
Of course it all depends on how much you slide it open. Open both sides a little bit for some cross ventilation. The set up is very user friendly and the top goes up and comes off very easy and all fits in the boot.:cool:

Slither
January 3rd, 2009, 06:18 PM
Paul,
The set up is very user friendly and the top goes up and comes off very easy and all fits in the boot.:cool:

Thanks Tony, I hear your mum talking;).

Steve C.
January 4th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Thanks all. After reviewing the attached images of the Unique Tops and those of competitors, I have to admit, I cannot see a better solution/design than the Unique product.

Thanks

Slither
January 4th, 2009, 08:54 AM
How do the top and side curtains actually mount to the car? Are there grommets and/or brackets on the top of the door and behind the seat that the parts plug into? Do you have any photos of this Tony?

Also, do the bows fold so that the top will fit in the boot? If not, how does it all come apart, as it looks like the bows go through some loops in the top and are locked in?

davebetts
January 5th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Did anyone else notice the lady, in the 3rd photo? It looks like she's sitting on the left nose of the car. Wow!
I love my "Unique" top, and I feel I will add the windshield support bar (verticle stainless rod). If you don't put the side windows in, there's alot of pressure on the canvas (50 mpg and up). With the side windows in, it's snug as a bug. And it's really cold up here.

Aggressor
January 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Dave ,
I'll pass along the compliment. Sharon is the car's co-owner and probably has done 40%+ of the build effort so she is welcome to sit wherever she pleases. With all that hands-on knowledge of the car she can handle 99% of the questions thrown at her during car shows.
It's amazing how many guys try to play "stump the blonde" and walk away frustrated in their efforts with very complete answers.

- Geary

Naumoff
January 6th, 2009, 01:39 AM
How do the top and side curtains actually mount to the car? Are there grommets and/or brackets on the top of the door and behind the seat that the parts plug into? Do you have any photos of this Tony?

Also, do the bows fold so that the top will fit in the boot? If not, how does it all come apart, as it looks like the bows go through some loops in the top and are locked in?

The brackets for the bows are attached to the bulkhead right behind the seat near the door and have a chrome platted ferrule in it for the pin to slide into.
The Side curtains(screens) have three pins in them that fit into ferrules on the doors.
The bows come apart in the middle. they have a solid rod that is set in one side and slides into the other.
I was out Sunday for a cruise. Sun was up when I left and stopped at a friends for a visit and the clouds came in. Put the top(hood) on and finished my cruise in comfort.
I have also tested the top(hood) at the track at speeds of 120mph.
I do have the windshield(wind screen) support rod installed. :)

JeepSnake
January 6th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Tony,

Do you have a detail pic of the windscreen reinforcing rod? Also, where did you get it? I want to add one, but the one I have looked at appears to require drilling into the body to clear the adjustment nut.

I'd like to add one to both our cars, 1) for the strength issue when using the top at speed, and 2) to allow mounting of an adjustable height rearview mirror (slider type).

Thanks!

Slither
January 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Tony,

Was that 120mph with or without the side curtains, and how did it do?

Thanks!

Naumoff
January 7th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Tony,

Do you have a detail pic of the windscreen reinforcing rod? Also, where did you get it? I want to add one, but the one I have looked at appears to require drilling into the body to clear the adjustment nut.

I'd like to add one to both our cars, 1) for the strength issue when using the top at speed, and 2) to allow mounting of an adjustable height rearview mirror (slider type).

Thanks!

Zach, I will find the pics of when I installed mine. I got it from Finishline and it has a bracket to mount it to the windshield frame with the existing screw holes at the base. I did have to drill and tap the top as the hook had come off the top of the frame a couple of times from vibration.
I don't know if someone else makes a better fitting one. I did buy a slider mounting bracket for the rear view mirror after the fact and will have to install that the next time the windsheild come off for something. It will be nice to raise the mirror up a little especially with the top on.

Paul,
The side curtains were in.

terryk
January 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I recently installed one of Finish lines "Chrome windshield tensor (center rod) bar". The bar works very well with the ragtop. Fits well, nice and stable.

I don't recommend the mirror mount though. I put it on my Unique 289 and the mount is very shakey when running. To the point of being unusable. Also, the mirror ends up being very close to the driver (compared to the dash top mounted location). So I put the mirror back on the dash top.

Aggressor
January 7th, 2009, 09:42 PM
To eliminate windshield shake replace the supplied windshield to cowl brace with a stronger brace. Finishline sold a chrome unit for $35.00 but I checked on the web and it seems to be unavailable now. I sandwiched the tensor bar lower mount and the heavier windshield brace and have a rock solid windshield assembly. I did have to create a body-colored steel riser to shim the space between the brace and cowl.

Images are attached for review.

- Geary

aks801
January 10th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I imagine most folks use the soft top to protect from the sun during summer, and for those in colder areas to allow some winter motoring. Question from someone in a warmer and rainy locale: how well does the top keep the rain out? I know these cars aren't exactly ideal for driving in wet weather (!) but I"m wondering how much water would tend to enter the cockpit, especially around the "seal" areas (top of windshield, rear, tops of doors and front of door where it meets the cowl).

It definitely is a nice looking top!

Naumoff
January 10th, 2009, 01:23 PM
A little from the center of the top of the windshield. A little from where the door and windshield and side curtian meet. It travels around on the body. If you don't seal the winshield frame where it comes through the body, a lot will come in there. mine is sealed. None under the winshield where the gasket meets the cowl. None from the rear or side curtains.

I am more worried about spinning wheels and stopping while driving in the rain.

Aggressor
January 10th, 2009, 02:54 PM
It depends on the storm. Most of the top time leakage around the edges is minimal, but I've driven into very heavy downpours where a curtain of rain dripped inside across the entire edge of the windscreen. Seal the bottom wind screen seal to the body with a narrow bead of clear silicone from the interior side. It can't be seen and does a great job. As Tony mentioned seal under the side plates and from the bottom where the frame passes through the body.

Never forget that British style tops were never meant to be weatherproof. I've owned British sports cars since 1968 and am used to always driving hot, cold, or wet.

If God had intended for man to drive in comfort he woundn't have invented British sportscars. - 60's Proverb.

-Geary

aks801
January 10th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I hear you, Aggressor and Naumoff. Creature comforts and state of the art conveniences are not what these cars are all about. I'm looking forward to that raw, vintage experience. Having ridden in a few of them, I'm familiar with the feel, but sitting in the seat that has the go-pedal will be a whole different deal!

Naumoff
January 11th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Tony,

Was that 120mph with or without the side curtains, and how did it do?

Thanks!

The side curtains were in and it did very well as the top is still perfect.:)

Slither
January 11th, 2009, 12:03 PM
OK, thanks Tony. That is pretty impressive[thumb]!

spd4me
January 14th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Tony - what kind of seat is in your interior pic?
Bob

Naumoff
January 16th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Tony - what kind of seat is in your interior pic?
Bob

Bob,
It is a vintage style comp seat.

spd4me
January 19th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Tony - where did you purchase from. I need something with more side and hip support.
Bob

Naumoff
January 21st, 2009, 03:49 AM
I bought mine from Sterling Replicars in VA.
Check Cobra Restorers in GA first. They have them and are less expensive. $150.00 cheaper.

medium size racing seat
http://www.sterlingreplicars.com/

seat RP1004M
http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.asp?ZTM=cadeffia&GHOME=www.cobrarestorers.com&TITLE=Cobra_Restorers

spd4me
January 26th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Tony - thanks. Sterling's leather seat list for $650. Cobra Restores in $255 for vinyl.

jmillington
January 26th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Where do you see $255? I see $299? :confused:

spd4me
January 26th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Your right, I was trying to recall from memory. Oh well.

spd4me
January 26th, 2009, 08:39 AM
What's with the time listed on the post. I thought morning was AM

Naumoff
January 27th, 2009, 01:27 AM
your welcome.

ralphscott
January 27th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Greenwich mean time??

Ralph