PDA

View Full Version : datsun

scott h
January 24th, 2009, 02:07 PM
i just picked up a 1974 datsun pl620 pick-up. Anyone know of some good parts resources.

Jerry Cowing
January 27th, 2009, 04:52 PM
When the Japanese first introduced the Datsun, they were wondering what to name it. Nissan and some other old manufacturing names couldn't be used because of the bad association of those names with World War II aircraft, etc.

During the board meeting, the CEO looked at all the members and requested they come up with a name before they left the room. One of the members said, "Dat Soon" and the rest is history.

Try Autozone or DAP or CarQuest.

JeepSnake
January 27th, 2009, 06:29 PM
But after doing business for many years as "Datsun," they were looking for a new brand name to help boost their image. When the new models were introduced to the press, one of the reporters exclaimed upon seeing the Z-car: "Nice-un!"

And so it was that the Nissan name came to be. :D

RJacobsen
January 27th, 2009, 09:30 PM
This one got pretty deep in a hurry. Can't wait to see where it goes. :)

Slither
January 27th, 2009, 10:52 PM
This one got pretty deep in a hurry. Can't wait to see where it goes. :)

Yupper!!!!

scott h
January 28th, 2009, 07:08 AM
i didn't think i would get responses dat soon. i can get some parts at the local parts houses, i was looking for any performance parts. i joined 2 different datsun forums, lots of members but no responses even though they have lots of modified parts on their cars. what a waste of time. this was going to be another resto ptroject for me but due to the lack of resources i think it will be going up for sale again!

RJacobsen
January 28th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I don't think DATS a good NISSAN to quit so SOON. :)

Oh no, Now its sucked me in.

Aggressor
January 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
That's a grooaner Rod, but an enjoyable groaner.

I remember the 240Z introduction and the 18 month wait list that quickly developed.

Around $3500 at the time.

-Geary

pbrown
January 28th, 2009, 08:35 PM
A good friend of mine tried his luck at selling cars at one point. He showed up at my door one day with a brand new 300ZX twin turbo and said "Wanna take it for a spin?". That was a blast.

Slither
January 29th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I don't think DATS a good NISSAN to quit so SOON. :)

I agree with Rod. You don't have to decide now, because it's not a decnissan you have to make datsoon. Take your time making up your mind;).

Its got me toooooooo:p!

davebetts
January 30th, 2009, 12:57 PM
The 240Z was hot stuff back in 1973. Great body lines, peppy engine. Used to make this one guy nuts, when I'd clean his clock with my Mercury Capri (Ford). Those were the days!

RJacobsen
January 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Dave, I was a partsman at a Lincoln-Mercury dealer in the 70's the Capri with a V6 was a hot little car. Great engine but so-so on the rest of the car. Common problem I remember were dash switches, seat back hinge, shift lever, and wiper transmission.

Naumoff
February 1st, 2009, 05:57 AM
Dave, I was a partsman at a Lincoln-Mercury dealer in the 70's the Capri with a V6 was a hot little car. Great engine but so-so on the rest of the car. Common problem I remember were dash switches, seat back hinge, shift lever, and wiper transmission.

sounds a lot like a Cobra.:D

sllib
February 1st, 2009, 07:47 AM
Don't forget the rust. Mine ran like a scalded dog but had more Bondo in it than the local parts store.
Bill Stradtner

weaver
February 2nd, 2009, 05:41 AM
Got my first speeding ticket in a 71 Capri V6, had to problem out running the Vette but couldn't loose the police.

Alan