PDA

View Full Version : build update

robbinsshkr
February 8th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Here are a few photo's showing my progress. i should get car back from painter later this week. I've had the engine running a few times and I'm currently in the process of changing to a hi-torque powermaster starter.
thanks,
Eddie

weaver
February 9th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Looking good Eddie, you might make this years Homecoming if you burn the midnight oil.

Alan

pgermond
February 9th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Ah, memories :) Looks like things are coming along very well. Thanks for the update and photos!

robbinsshkr
February 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I would like to confirm my thoughts on how the new powermaster starter gets wired. There are absolutely no wiring instructions included with the starter, I guess because they figure it's such a straight forward install?
However, it tends to be a bit different if using a ford type solenoid in addition to the starter mounted solenoid.
ford [frame mounted] solenoid = bat power in to large post-----opposite large post = connects to large post on starter mounted solenoid.
does an exciter or jumper wire get used from the ford solenoid to starter mounted solenoid or between the starter and its own solenoid?
I could figure it out through trial and error, but the error part could end up causing the new starter to be replaced :(

the battery cut off switch i bought is rated at 20 amps continuous, with a 125 amps intermitten use. is that enough to support the amount of draw from the starter and or solenoid[s].
Thanks,
Eddie

Brent
February 9th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Eddie you will run your cable from the soleniod on your frame to the large batt post on the starter. You will then run a jumper wire from the large post on the starter to the small ign. terminal on the starter mounted solenoid.

robbinsshkr
February 9th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks Brent,

I looked at the powermaster website and it described the same procedure as you did, but for the xs series starter that only has two lugs. i got the ultra torque series which has two lugs plus a 3rd, spade type connection. I will wire it as soon as i get to the house. I'm guessing the heavier the wire that is used, the better, even though it's a very short one.
I am assuming the key switch still connects to the frame mounted solenoid as if the original starter were still being used?

I'm hoping i got the correct starter, jegs never ask if it were an auto or manual bellhousing. how is a person supposed to check the starter pinion mesh with the ring gear, use some type of marking compound like when setting up a rearend? I sure don't see any way to insert one of those tools due to the opening being on the opposite side of the bellhousing.

Last but not least......powermaster says these starters can draw as much as 700 amps during cranking. guess i need to trade my current moroso disconnect switch for the severe duty unit?
Thanks in advance!
Eddie

robbinsshkr
February 10th, 2009, 09:17 AM
just wanted to say i took your advice [thanks brent] on the starter / solenoid wiring using both solenoids and everything works as it should.
I was a bit surprized that the gear reduction starter didn't spin the engine over any faster than the stock starter. i guess the "heat soak" fix is the main reason for using the mini starters. It is also possible that it didn't spin it over any faster due to not having a direct ground from the engine to the frame??? I would imagine there would be some loss of grounding capabilities through the rubber motor mounts. :confused:

Slither
February 10th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Lookin' good! Hurry up so you can drag Brent down to Homecoming;)!

robbinsshkr
February 11th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Drag Brent to home coming???????? I tried to get Brent to take my cobra to homecoming if i am unable to make it. My hopes are that it will be done in time and Brent is one that i wouldn't think twice about turning him loose in it. Unfortunatly, he graciously turned down my offer, but i'll keep working on him. :D
Eddie

Slither
February 12th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Drag Brent to home coming???????? I tried to get Brent to take my cobra to homecoming if i am unable to make it. My hopes are that it will be done in time and Brent is one that i wouldn't think twice about turning him loose in it. Unfortunatly, he graciously turned down my offer, but i'll keep working on him. :D
Eddie

Good[thumb], keep after him;)!

eliminator
February 12th, 2009, 08:07 AM
1st....Top of the River...that will get the wheels turning.

next

2nd....Margarita!!!!...that's it, he's booking reservations.:banana:

Throw in a ride with the new 3:73 gear in Rick's car just for fun...:3g:

weaver
February 13th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Eddie, If you can't come just ship your car down, we will find someone to drive it.

Alan

robbinsshkr
February 13th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Alan,

I'll ship my car to Alabama as long as you don't let it come back sporting a new trailer hitch and a gun rack :D

scott h
February 14th, 2009, 08:23 AM
you can run a ground strap from the starter to the frame if you have grounding concerns. I used both the battery leads supplied with the DPK as grounds. i had another cable made for the "+" lead. No more difficult or not starting situations when hot!

robbinsshkr
February 14th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks Scott,

as a matter of fact, i picked up a short grounding strap yesterday.
A bit of an update..........I brought the car home from the painters a couple of hours ago. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out and the painter is equally as proud. He only lives about 10 minutes away and even ask if he could come over to help when it came time to hang the doors, hood, etc. Great guy [thumb]
Eddie