PDA

View Full Version : To pre drill or not to pre drill?

cal.cheesehead
February 14th, 2009, 01:56 PM
My bodies ready to come off the frame. The boys at Unique dimpled the locatios for the cleates for the toneau cover mirrors etc. Is it best to drill the pilot holes befor painting or chance it after.

diegokid
February 14th, 2009, 02:14 PM
They will disappear when it is sanded for paint. Drill and tap them before you paint.

Bill D
February 14th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Yes, drill all holes prior to paint. Just in case you drill a hole in the wrong place, it can be filled in prior to paint. Afterwords...well you get the idea.

pgermond
February 14th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Well, maybe I was just stupid...... but I drilled mine after paint. They were visible and I had no problems, everything fit perfectly. Hell, I even drilled holes in my hood after it was painted for the rivets :D

Aggressor
February 14th, 2009, 10:11 PM
For all the Shakespeare fans out there .......That is the question.

Even with: Precise predrilling prior to painting
Tapping the holes prior to painting
Pre-tapping the holes again just prior to Lift-The-Dot stud installation
Lubing the brass Lift-The-Dot studs with wax

Expect to become an expert at drilling out the several studs that snap off just prior to being fully seated flush with the body. It's the final required twist with the wrench and the ensuing snap that will have you loudly cussing incoherently in some ancient, strange, and beautiful language that no one but you can fully understand.

It seems that as the screw threads are running in they expand a bit and bind in the last turn. It may be the nature of the "glass". Armed with a centerpunch and a small bit you can sucessfully drill down the center of the stud. It requires a steady hand and just a bit of luck.

-Geary