PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of 289 Comp Dash

Bill D
February 22nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
I would like to see pictures of anyone using the 289 Comp dash layout.

Thanks
Bill D

weaver
February 24th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Bill I haven't installed a comp dash in quite a while but I will see if I can find a pic.

Alan

Bill D
February 24th, 2009, 07:35 AM
My plan, as it evolves, is to replicate CSX2129 as close as possible. I am currently searching for as much information and as many pictures as I can. The only problem I see is finding those original style valve covers

Aggressor
February 24th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Bill
I have collected 21 images of CSX2129. One is a fairly good shot of the dash.

CSX2129 was the third factory rack and pinion race car. Originally she was finished with both an engine and differential cooler, large barkes, drivers roll bar, pop riveted hood scoop, front brake cooling ducts, front and rear sway bars, Nassau sidepiepes, Kidney bean Halibrands, quick jacks, Konis, dual fuel tanks totaling 38 gallons and a special dash layout with a Sun tach and Stewart Warner fuel pressure and ammeter gauge. The body also has rounded more flaired rear fenders. The leading edge of the hood has been riveted to the hood frame to keep the hood skin from coming loose.

Email me are I will send them back to you.

-Geary

glsarno@verizon.net

Slither
February 24th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Email sent... I would love to get them too:D.

Thanks!

Aggressor
February 24th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Paul - email was not received. Try again and I'll send photos.

-Geary

RJacobsen
February 25th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Found these photos, probably the same ones Geary has. the dash shot is CSX2129 and the Switch shot is CSX2136

Bill D
February 25th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the closeup of the switch panel. Interesting way they have the car wired. I can not guess what reserve is for.

ralphscott
February 25th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Note the gear shift.

Ralph

RJacobsen
February 25th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the closeup of the switch panel. Interesting way they have the car wired. I can not guess what reserve is for.

My first guess would be fuel tank, but I suppose they could have a reserve electrical system as well.?

tcolley
February 25th, 2009, 07:32 PM
this is what my competition dash looks like.

Bill D
February 25th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Terry-
Your car is flawless! I'm impressed. Did you use SW Comp gauges?

The more I see Unique cars, the more I am impressed with their looks and quality.

aks801
February 25th, 2009, 07:41 PM
The more I see Unique cars, the more I am impressed with their looks and quality.

You and me both, brother.

tcolley
February 25th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Bill,

Thanks for the nice compliment!

Yes I used the SW gauges!

Here's another shot.

Bill D
February 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Simply gorgeous! I did a search for those gauges and found them. But they call out a mechanical tach. Is that correct?

tcolley
February 25th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Here's a 3/4 front shot and rear shot.

tcolley
February 25th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Bill,

They are mechanical and electrical.

Bill D
February 25th, 2009, 08:25 PM
More gorgeous pics! I'm drooling all over my keyboard!!

As for the tach...would it work with an MSD type dizzy?

tcolley
February 25th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Bill,

Here's a shot of my competition valve covers. They were hard to find and expensive and also require a special aluminum spacer available from Southern Automotive.

Bill D
February 25th, 2009, 08:28 PM
The perfect compliment for originality! I plan to use your car as a benchmark for my build. Mine will be red like CSX2129.

tcolley
February 25th, 2009, 08:31 PM
My distributor is a reworked Ford to use a MSD 6AL ignition system and the tach works just fine.

tcolley
February 25th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Posted the wrong dash wiring pix. This is the one I wanted to show you.

Bill D
February 25th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Sorry to be asking so many questions. You have your tach working electrically off the distributor?

You went so far trying to replicate the original look. Why didn't you go with the Harrison expansion tank?

tcolley
February 25th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Bill,

The tach is electrical working off the distributor.

Not all the FIA's had the Harrison tank and I just didn't like the way it looked with all the extra plumbing it requires. I also went with a Tremec TKO 600 close ratio tranny with the mid shift kit and .080 5th gear instead of the Top Loader because I wanted an extra gear with a modest overdrive.

Also I used 3-piece Compomotive 17" wheels...17 X 9 front and 17 X 12.5 in the rear rather than 15" all around. I had planned on doing some track events with the car and good speed rated 15's are really hard to come by.

The BFG KD R-1's on the car are ZR rated and the car needs them. At TWS on the main straight the car should reach well over 140 MPH and I just didn't trust the 15's available at those speeds.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like and I have a ton of build pictures if you want to see how we did things.

regards,

eliminator
February 26th, 2009, 11:44 AM
This car is as close to the original as you can get, belongs to Buth Capps, Knoxville, TN. He is a stickler when it comes to detail and the original look.[thumb]

Bill D
February 26th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the pictures Rick. Awesome looking car! You guys have set the bar really high. I will do my best to match your achievements

Bill D
February 26th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Question:

Would I hurt the cars looks/value if I made a switch plate as shown in my quest for originality? Or should I just go with a standard style comp dash? Making the plate would be quite simple. But I wouldn't have as many switches unless some were non-operational and only for looks to match CSX2129

RJacobsen
February 26th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Question:

Would I hurt the cars looks/value if I made a switch plate as shown in my quest for originality? Or should I just go with a standard style comp dash?

No to the first question, up to you on the second, and just to confuse you more, here are some later comp car dash lay outs. CSX2557 and CSX2558

Bill D
February 26th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Well, it's certainly true that no two were alike :)

Does the Unique 289 dash have the same bottom contour as the orignals?