PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Tin

cal.cheesehead
February 23rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Installed my engine/trans/driveshaft this weekend. This has been great fun. Sunday began tinkering with the aluminum pannels in the engine bay. I still have two pieces that have not found their home. Anyway.... after I set the pannels with clecos does it make sense to use a back up washer on the pop rivet to add surface are to the load?

weaver
February 23rd, 2009, 02:01 PM
It can't hurt to use a rivet washer on the back side of the panel. What do the 2 pieces look like you can't find a place for?

Alan

cal.cheesehead
February 23rd, 2009, 02:26 PM
Alan,I'm going to look at it again tonight. I'll get you a photo if I can't figure it out. Never was very good at puzzles..

robbinsshkr
February 23rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
Hey cheesehead,[sorry, don't know your real name]

post some photo's if you have time. we seem to be at the same stage of the build. I just finished up installing the thermotec. Do the panels seem as if they'll butt up to each other nice or will they need some trimming?
thanks,
Eddie

weaver
February 24th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Eddie, Tom doesn't have the same inner panels as you do, he only has oil cooler and inner fender panels. You might need to trim the aluminum panels, the body is bonded together on a jig but can be off a little from one car to another.

Alan

robbinsshkr
February 24th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks Alan,

do you and most others use stainless or aluminum rivets or screws of some kind? Are you guys staying steady down there in abalama?
Eddie