PDA

View Full Version : shorts

diegokid
March 1st, 2009, 03:43 PM
I finally found the short in the dash lights that has drove me nuts. My dash lights would sometines short out when turning them on or just driving down the road. I've been trying to track it down for quite some time and was just before giving up. I was taking my car apart for paint and decided to try one more time. I had the dash out and the lights were working fine. While looking I bumped the ammeter and the fuse blew. I still couldn't find the short so I replaced the fuse and moved the wire around on back of the fixture and the fuse blew again. I took the light fixture out of the guage and removed the bulb. When the contact in the bottom was bent over/mashed so it could make contact with the bulb it was mashed flatter than the others making it wider, if it moved any at all it would contack the side of the fixture causing the short. I pushed the wire through the fixture and filed it down so it couldn't move around and come in contact with the side of the fixture. Put it back together and no more fuse blowing.

:banana:

Naumoff
March 1st, 2009, 03:47 PM
great find!

Thanks for posting it.[thumb]

Slither
March 2nd, 2009, 01:32 AM
That one could have been a looooooong time comin'.

Great sleuthing[thumb]! Congrats on the success...