PDA

View Full Version : Question # 7842369

cal.cheesehead
March 10th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Paint? I may be off to the painter this weekend. When I tried to pin the guy down to a ballpark figure he was hesitant. Depends on how much prep work etc. That I guess is understandable. Was wondering if anyone would share what you have paid. Thanks.

robbinsshkr
March 10th, 2009, 01:13 PM
CheeseHead,

The guy that painted mine first quoted me $2200 for labor and was guesing about another $1,000 for materials [$3,300] but that is when it was going to be blue with white stripes. I ended up going with red and for some reason the reds are always a lot more expensive material wise. He initialy shot the underside of the doors, hood and truck waiting on my approval before he proceeded. I'm glad he did, because it was darker than what I was wanting. [The paint mixer forgot to add something to the formula] Not being the painters fault and the fact that it caused him more work, I paid him a little extra. This guy really got involved with wanting the cobra to look great and even took the time [at his suggestion] to prep, paint and clear a hood he had laying around with 4 different color stripes so we could pick what looked the best. Buy the time it was all said and done I paid him a total of $4,000 which in my opinion was still a VERY GOOD price and I am very pleased and actually developed a friendship over it. another advantage I had is that he only lives 10 minutes away. Please keep in mind that the price i paid may be lower than industry standard because this guy worked out of his home garage and had a very low overhead compared to some of the bigger shops. I am really surprised it came out as well as it did for not using a paint booth. one thing that really helped was the body dolly and the fact that the painter had nothing to remove, tape up [other than stripes] or reassemble. the biggest difference in my price was material. he had to use some kind of candy additive to the paint that was very expensive for a very small amount.
Sorry I didn't give a direct answer of $4,000 and be done with it, but i wanted to explain in case you are quoted something different. I hate body work, but love to paint and have been lucky enough to have had good results in the ones I've painted. I chose not to paint the cobra because I have a newer shop and didn't want the mess.
Thanks
Eddie

scott h
March 10th, 2009, 05:56 PM
i paid $3500, the painter owned his own shop and him and I also happened to work together at the state mental hospital where I coincidentally was his supervisor. It took him forever and a day but in the end it worked out. we still talk!

eliminator
March 11th, 2009, 05:39 AM
To do a really slick paint job and get the body straight and do all the little things that other folks dont do........$7,000 -$8,000 with stipes.

It's all in what you can live with and what is acceptable to you. But the truth is, put a car with a $3,500.00 paint job next to a $7,000.00 paint job and you can tell the difference, a big difference.

weaver
March 11th, 2009, 05:41 AM
I would guess $5000 to $6000 is the average price, my guy is charging $5500 with stripes.

Alan

cal.cheesehead
March 11th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Thanks, that's very helpful.

pgermond
March 11th, 2009, 10:08 PM
$5K six years ago. I would put it up against anything (the awards speak for themself http://www.streetrodpainter.com/

dmswann
March 12th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I was trying to determine an "agreed upon replacement value" when getting insurance so I took my car to a reputable paint shop for an "estimate". He had painted a UNIQUE before so he knew how mucg prep was involved. His estimate was $5000 - $5500 for Viking Blue with yellow nose stripe on a FIA car.