PDA

View Full Version : 289

Bill D
May 17th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I plan to build a 289 car someday. Wwould it be weird or out of place to build one with the following theme?

Street dash
No Roll bar
Front and rear bumpers
427 side exhaust
Wire wheels

RJacobsen
May 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Bill, I think for the most part Unique will build it any way you want with one exception being the rollbar, seems to me that that is not delete-able. Check in the members forums under "Juanone 289 build" for a car that fits some of your description.

Bill D
May 17th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks Rod. His car is beautiful.

weaver
May 17th, 2009, 07:34 PM
We will sell a kit without a roll bar but we do install the mounting hardware, someday someone will want a roll bar on the car.

Alan

Bill D
May 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks Alan. I also sent you a PM with another question

Aggressor
May 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Hey Bill,
I've mulled over a similar idea for a future build. I'd build it with skinny thinline whitewalls mounted on 6 X15 original style knock-off wire wheels. Top, side curtains, radio and heater/defroster. Undercar dual exhaust. Kinda like these images but with whitewalls.

-Geary

YerDugliness
May 19th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I like the idea of a "sort of street car" type 289, too, Bill. I have a vision in mind for mine--

Mine would have:

hood scoop
wire wheels
427 style roll bar (or, preferably, a single full width roll bar--I don't care much for the forward brace in the cocpit)
rag top
side curtains
front and rear "bumper bars"
the 289 style side exhaust OR under the car exhaust (kinda like the large single pipe style of 289 side exhaust)
street car dash

Juan's was one incredible build, that's for sure. Then he turned around and sold it.....go figure!!!

Dugly :cool:

Russ Dickey
May 19th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Bill D:
You can build it anyway you want - and if somebody says it's wierd, who cares? It's your car to enjoy. Now if you are worried about re-sale value, or flippant comments made by purists, then by all means, build it period correct.

Just my $.02.

weaver
May 19th, 2009, 01:06 PM
The mid 60s is why Juan sold it, hard to get that for a very nice big block car.

Alan

Bill D
May 19th, 2009, 04:52 PM
We will sell a kit without a roll bar but we do install the mounting hardware, someday someone will want a roll bar on the car.

Alan

Could I order it w/o the holes drilled in the body but still get the roll bar? I ask because I may change at some point during the build.

Slither
May 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Bill D:
You can build it anyway you want - and if somebody says it's wierd, who cares? It's your car to enjoy. Now if you are worried about re-sale value, or flippant comments made by purists, then by all means, build it period correct.

Just my $.02.

Agreed. Build what you want and will enjoy. You're the one who needs to love it.

I, too, have a slightly different concept in mind for my project...

Go with your heart[thumb]!