PDA

View Full Version : Part 15 – Frame Welding is done.

RJacobsen
May 19th, 2009, 02:22 PM
While some of you are putting your cars together, mine has finally come completely apart. I have finished all of the repairs and modifications to the frame and removed everything that is removable. I took a big box of small parts to the Powder-coater yesterday and the frame goes in next week. I’m smiling really big right now. :banana::banana:

Here it is before coating,
http://www.uniquecobra.com/gallery/files/1/5/0/5/bareframe.JPG

http://www.uniquecobra.com/gallery/files/1/5/0/5/bareframe2.JPG

Besides all of the work that was necessary to rebuild what the previous owner had done the following changes from original were made, they include moving the radiator support forward and redesigning its shape to allow room for a custom-built radiator and shrouded cooling fans, widening the frame at drivers foot box for more heel room, adding a remote filter bracket, welding in brackets for seat and seatbelt attachments, adding frame tie down loops for trailering, adding attachment brackets for a rear axle brace and rear suspension bump stops. I also took time to weld in attachment nuts wherever it made sense to. Can’t wait to get it all back and start putting it together for real. :D

To be continued….

Bill D
May 19th, 2009, 04:54 PM
WOW! Ecellent job and excellent mods!

Slither
May 19th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Nice mods Rod[thumb][thumb]!... some really great ideas. I have enjoyed following what you are doing with the car. Keep us posted...

That looks like the trans tunnel up against the wall in back by the creeper??

RJacobsen
May 20th, 2009, 08:43 AM
That looks like the trans tunnel up against the wall in back by the creeper??

Paul, that is an aluminum trim panel for the tunnel. A nice piece that has matching door panels and a rear bulkhead cover.

Slither
May 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Sweeeeet! I will look forward to seeing that go in...

Naumoff
May 23rd, 2009, 07:56 AM
Looks good! Great rebuild Rod.

RJacobsen
June 11th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I got the frame back from the powder coater the other day, it looks fantastic!! They did a great job on it and the small parts I had done. They also did a ceramic coating on the headers. For those in the Northern California area contact Steve at Powdercoat It in Sacramento ( www.powdercoat-it.com ). Here’s how it looks.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/gallery/files/1/5/0/5/frame.JPG

While I was waiting for the frame I had time to clean up the rear axle/suspension, I installed new hub bearings and seals, calipers and pads and rebuilt the e-brakes.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/gallery/files/1/5/0/5/rearaxleassm.JPG

It feels good to have stuff that finally looks like new, I envy you guys that don't have to go though the clean up process.

eliminator
June 12th, 2009, 06:19 AM
It's great when the plan starts coming together. Things will happen a lot quicker now. Those fat rear axles tell their age......everything looks real good.

ralphscott
June 12th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Wow it is really looking good Rod.

Rick is right on!

Ralph

RJacobsen
June 12th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Those fat rear axles tell their age..

Rick, I was wondering about the axles, I noticed that Jag originals are a smaller diameter cast piece, didn't know if mine were from Unique or something the previous owner had made up.

eliminator
June 12th, 2009, 10:56 AM
They look to be made up from a driveshaft. The axles used now are bigger than the old original solid axle but are made out of strong light weight tube, same material used in some driveshafts. The only thing you may run in to is the coil over shock springs get pretty tight with the axle running in the middle.

RJacobsen
June 12th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Rick, the axles are the same diameter as my driveshaft, your right about the coil-overs I have already checked that out and plan to use some spacers to get the clearance I need

Slither
June 14th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Looks excellent Rod[thumb]! Great progress.

robbinsshkr
June 14th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Rod,

I'm not the first to say it, but I'll say it again.....You have done an awesome job and incorporated a lot of extra's that will make the reassembley and life afterwards much easier? Did you bore the extra hole in the front crossmember where the bottom radiator hose passes through? Mine only has the single hole. In your first photo's you can see a portion of your hanging body. how is it suspended and what attatching points on the body did you use?
Again, great work and thinking ahead!
Eddie

RJacobsen
June 15th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Did you bore the extra hole in the front crossmember where the bottom radiator hose passes through? Mine only has the single hole. In your first photo's you can see a portion of your hanging body. how is it suspended and what attatching points on the body did you use?
Eddie

Eddie, I did add a hole to the right side, My engine is a 289 HiPo and has the lower radiator hose on the passenger side, I had the radiator made to match. The body is raised by a chain hoist attached to the ceiling of my garage, I'll post some pictures of that later