PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shocks

Tony Radford
June 9th, 2009, 11:06 AM
My car has the adjustable shocks on the front, but the rear shocks are not adjustable. So needless to say, when I took it to the shop for adjustment, nothing could be done. My rear tires are rubbing on the fender wells and raising the height an inch looks like it might solve it. The shop I took it to gave me an estimate of $2K to measure, source shocks and springs and the install plus height adjustment. One of the four rear shocks is leaking, so it probably needs replacing anyway. I'll be calling Alan shortly to see if he has any suggestions. Are there shocks I can buy that are already known to be suitable for what I'm trying to achieve? Or is it better to let the shop pull the existing parts set the wheels for 1" additioinal height, measure for the appropriate adjustable shock, source the parts etc?

Bill D
June 9th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Why not buy the adjustable shocks from Alan and put them on yourself?

eliminator
June 9th, 2009, 01:21 PM
If it was mine, I would run that job through Maurice and Alan. My 2 cents worth.[thumb]

JeepSnake
June 9th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Rick is right! Just did this with the 289 car last spring (along with shortened half-shalfs, all new u-joints, one new wheel bearing, etc.). Take it to the Weavers.

In addition to the adjustability, I was shocked (lame pun totally intended) at the improvement in ride quality. Additionally, the rear end now behaves predictably in corners - i.e. the weight smoothly transfers onto the outside tire in turns. Before, the weight would start to shift, hesitate, then sort of suddenly complete the transfer. (This is without the rear sway bar.)

Tony Radford
June 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks guys. I finally hooked up with Maurice. The plan we worked out involves me driving to Gadsden and letting Unique do the retrofit as well as giving my car a once-over. I can make the trip there and back in a long day. I'm really looking forward to the drive - and the superior ride.