PDA

View Full Version : Who needs a starter anyways

Master
June 24th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Guys,

Just finished up at Mid Ohio track and had a fantastic time. weather was great and track time was incredible for the money. Now I will tell you my strange story..... On day two early in the morning I was running down the back straight away about 120 mph when a LOUD pop from underneath my car scared the **it out of me. I lost all power and coasted to the side, i thought for sure that was the bottom dropping out of the engine. I exited the car and looked underneath and much to my surprise I found my starter totally off and dragging underneath the car. Needless to say it was a welcome sight, three bolts later and I was back on the road. Oh and the reason the car stopped it unplugged the MSD line. Thought I would share :doh:

Jim Harding
June 24th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Boy, bad luck and good luck all in the same breath. Nice to hear all is well. I would have thought that the starter would have been toast after draging on the pavement while slowing down from 120.

Bill D
June 24th, 2009, 05:44 PM
That would have scared the crap out of me too! Might want to add a little Locktitte to the threads

eliminator
June 25th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Scott,

Brent and I tried to tell you 3 years ago at Homecoming that your starter was making strange noises....like loose.:D:D

Slither
June 27th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I would have thought that it would contiue to make a huge racket until stopped... and do some damage, if it were dragging:confused:. Rest of the car ok?

That sounds like a scarry ride:eek:!

Russ Dickey
June 29th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I've heard of this happening now from several folks. Happened to a buddy of mine who owns an FFR Daytona Coupe. Same circumstances: he was driving the car at an open track, and the starter bolts vibrated loose.

pgermond
June 30th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Happy to hear everything worked out for the best!