PDA

View Full Version : Thoroughbred

Thoroughbred
October 10th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I am in the process of choosing a kit. Unique has been one of the ones recommended. I have only average mechanical experience so the building process is a bit intimidating but I do want to build my own. Is there anyone in the Denver, CO area that has a Unique? I am thinking of a 351 Cleveland as I am a real fan of this engine. Any suggestions are welcome.

scott h
October 11th, 2009, 01:53 PM
not in Denver, But the build is well within the range of anyone with average mechanical skills. Get a Summit Catalog, watch the car shows on TV and subscribe to a magazine or 2 and you can get tons of helpful info. every car is assembled slightly different depending on the wants and personality of the owner. You can do it.

davebetts
October 14th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Do a roller, the beauty about it is that it has been assembled and fit by the Weavers. You disasemble, paint and put it back together. You know it's going to fit right. Just my thoughts. Believe me there's plenty yet to do.

JeepSnake
October 15th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Thoroughbred,

Here's one aspect (of many!) that should help you be at ease about the build process:

The Unique product is NOT a mass-produced assembly-line car. It hasn't been tweaked here and bent there to facilitate speedy assembly by a robot without much regard for the guy who will work on it. It is built for hand assembly, because, well, they're all assembled by hand.

This one little difference in design philosophy literally makes all the difference in the world. You don't have to be intimidated by thoughts like, "I don't know if I can install the interior door panels with my tools, because I don't have the special tool the factory used." Got a Phillips head screwdriver? That's what the Unique factory uses! It really is a joy to work on one of these cars compared to doing a restoration.

The Deluxe Pallet Kit is about the best deal there is. As Dave mentioned, that gets a lot of the fitment issues taken care of. But trust me, you will still have enough things to do to be able to proudly say, "I built it!"

Two members of the board that I can think of running Clevelands are "rldunn" (Richard Dunn) and "bittentoo" (Kelly Mullins).

Best of luck, and hope you choose Unique. You won't regret it!

pgermond
October 16th, 2009, 06:09 PM
You don't have to be a gear head to put on of these together...... all you need is this forum, and that is a fact!

Go for it, there is plenty of help on the side lines.