PDA

View Full Version : 72 Norton

Combat72
December 2nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Fairly new to the forum, not an owner yet but working on it. Diegokid saw my avatar and asked to see some pics. This is a 1972 Norton 750 Commando with the "Combat" engine I restored several years ago. I had never tried anything like that so it was an experience. My next will hopefully be a 427 Unique.

ralphscott
December 3rd, 2009, 07:31 AM
I had an Norton Interstate 850 great bike but the electric start was a joke! Great road crusier.

eliminator
December 3rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
Good job on the restoration, I like the old British Bikes.

diegokid
December 4th, 2009, 05:32 AM
One of my favorites was a 1958 BSA 650 twin. Had a magneto and positive ground, if it was raining you had better not touch any metal whilspressing the kill switch, it would make your eyes glow.;)

jmillington
December 9th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Most Excellent! I have a 71 Norton 750 Commando that I'm currently restoring. :BEER:

Combat72
December 9th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Restoring it was a fun project. I initially ordered parts from a guy in CA but found out he was importing from the UK. So I went directly to the source and saved quite a bit on the cost. I had the cylinder head rebuilt by Brian Slark who was orginally with Norton. I think he works at the Barber Motorsports Museum in AL now. Be glad to share any info. I have if you need it.

Frank

diegokid
December 9th, 2009, 04:47 PM
We stopped at Barber Motorsports on the way home from homecoming last year. If you haven't been I can't really describe what you are missing except to say without a doubt the most impressive collection of anything I've ever seen.

I wished I could have just one of the Vincent motorbikes they had.

Combat72
December 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I want to visit Unique and the Weavers. I've was initially "bitten" with the Gumball Rally and it never has gone away. I want to pull the trigger on a DPK but want to have the funds to pay for the kit, paint, engine, tranny. etc. Going by Barber will definitely be on the agenda of things to do.