PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake

diegokid
December 31st, 2009, 06:48 AM
I installed my parking brake yesterday. Went in without much problem except for a little frame interference. I had to loosen and slightly lower the differential carrier. I can't find a torque setting on the upper carrier mounting bolts anywhere. Before I apply locktite and retighten is there a setting anyone knows of or do I use the german method of "good and taught"

cal.cheesehead
December 31st, 2009, 09:58 AM
I was taught years ago by one of the old german guys at Pabst in Milwaukee. 1/4 turn past finger tight .

diegokid
December 31st, 2009, 11:20 AM
The old Blue Ribbon method.:BEER:

Aggressor
December 31st, 2009, 12:50 PM
Diego -
Run a Google search for "Inch Based Torque Settings".
You should find good approximate working figures.

Also don't forget to adjust the e-brakes. I made the oversight of not taking out the free play of my Jag setup and could not understand why so much effort was required for so little braking. Finally the lights came on and now fingertip pull pressure is all that is necessary for major braking.

- Geary

diegokid
December 31st, 2009, 02:11 PM
Yep there are really two adjustments on the brake. There is a small screw with a cotter pin in it towards the top of the caliper. If this isn't adjusted to match the cable or in otherwords to keep the entire pad in contact with the rotor your not going to get much braking. Once I get the cable I'm going to see if a spring ran on the cable between the calipers will suffice to release the brake or if I need to use two pulloff springs. Cable and handle should be here next week.

The wife has apparently found a new car, she doesn't know the bank called the house earlier, maybe I need not let her and her mother go shopping together anymore.:confused:

RJacobsen
January 1st, 2010, 12:16 PM
The small screw and cotter pin are part of the self adjuster on the E brake, if it is working properly there is no need to adjust the brake by hand, it will adjust itself when you pull on it. make sure you have the cotter pin in place or the E brake will "un-adjust" itself.