PDA

View Full Version : Father's personal request...

Slither
October 17th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I would like to ask those of you who are faithful to remember us in your petitions as we face a serious illness with my 11yr old son James. Without going into too much detail, he has been pretty sick for the last three months. After almost a month of on and off sickness and a few trips to the pediatrician, he was diagnosed with subacute bacterial endocarditis and immediately went into the hospital. He ended up on six weeks of antibiotics, which tore his gut up pretty bad, had a bad reaction to one of the drugs, and ended up in the hospital again.

Now over seven weeks later, he was scheduled for open-heart surgery on Wednesday this week, as the right side of his heart is failing, but he was diagnosed with a pretty bad opportunistic intestinal bug today (because of the previous antibiotic therapy), which caused a delay in a much needed cardiac surgery.

From day one they haven't even been able to handle his case around here, so he's been over in New Orleans for treatment each time and for the surgery. Just got back home from seeing him today. His spirits are remarkably good considering the situation. He is a little trooper, keeping his head up as best he can while getting jabbed and stuck as much as he is.

He is in the red shirt on my left in this photo... http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8269&highlight=practicing+future

Please, I'd be eternally grateful if you'd say a little prayer for him and for us... Thanks!

Buzz
October 18th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Consider it done Paul, including prayers and best wishes to you and the rest of the family as you are all suffering in this bout of misfortune.

I'd also like to congratulate you on raising a brave and tough young man - it shows courage and character that he even tries to keep his spirits up while enduring what he's going through.

Stay strong, and all the best.

weaver
October 18th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Paul, we put James on our prayer list at church, please keep us posted.

Alan

dmswann
October 18th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Paul,

James is on my personal prayer list and will be on my Sunday School Class Prayer List as soon as I can get the info to our teacher.

God bless you all!

Stan
October 18th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Paul:

James and the rest of your family will be in our prayers.

Stan

pgermond
October 19th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Paul,
I can't imagine anything more terrible than having to go through what you and your family are dealing with right now. Prayers and best wished are coming from us to James, you and the whole family.

RJacobsen
October 19th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Paul, I've been praying for James and your family since I read the post.

Aggressor
October 19th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Prayers and best wishes for your boy and family.

-Geary

Jerry Cowing
October 20th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Paul,

Your family and especially James will be in my prayers.

Jer

Jeff 427
October 24th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Very sorry to hear about your son. James and your family will be kept in our prayers.

TurnpikeBoy
October 24th, 2011, 05:34 PM
He will be spoken of to my maker several times each day from here on, until he's terrorizing his little brother and folks again. Then the prayers change to gifts of wisdom.

Hang on, pal. We have been where you are when our (then) 25 yr. old son had his motorcycle accident. We did the same - asked folks to pray for him - and believe that is what kept him alive.

You pull for him here on the planet, and all of the rest of us will be pulling for the higher help. Stay strong, buddy.

olblu66
October 24th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Paul, we are so sorry to hear about James. Thoughts and prayers, for strength and healing, are being said for you, your family and James. Please keep us posted.

Pat Quattro and Family

Slither
October 25th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you[thumb]!

Quick update... we got him home temporarily a few days ago... the intestinal bug postponed the surgery until the 31st, but within 24hrs of posting this thread he was doing some better. He is now eating better and gaining some weight back, which means he'll go into it with more strength. Bug seems to be gone (fingers crossed).

Please keep up the "good work" and I'll update in a few days...

Slither
October 30th, 2011, 09:41 PM
OK, he is in New Orleans tonight, and had some diagnostic work to see if he is ready to go. They'll look at it in the morning and make the final decision go/no-go. I brought little brother and Grandma back to MS, but we'll head over there in a few hours to see him off to the O.R. He should be in surgery around 7:30-8AM, and they say it could take 7hrs or so:(...

I'll try to let you all know something in the next few days. In the meantime keep the faith, and thanks again[thumb]!

davids2toys
November 1st, 2011, 06:21 PM
Paul, just reading this after talking with you on the phone, absolutely will keep him in my thoughts and prayers!
Just take it one day at a time and try not to over think as we talked about.
Tell him we are all thinking of him
Dave

Mike V
November 1st, 2011, 09:08 PM
Paul,
When your child is this sick it is a raw ache that envelopes your entire life. I am truely sorry your family is faced with this challenge. My heart and prayers are with you, your brave son and your family.

Mike V & Family

Slither
November 6th, 2011, 12:49 AM
I just got back home from the hospital, and had a really nice visit with my son. He is doing much better[thumb]! He had a rough first few days. He did have what appears to be an active infection in the tissue they replaced in his heart, so he will be on another month of antibiotics, but his white count is coming down, his vitals are stable, and he got off of the vent on Thursday and got his chest-tubes (surgical drainage) out today. He was able to get out of bed to walk half-way across the room and stand on his own! Thank you so much for your prayers. Still could use a few... he's still in CICU, but appreciate what you've done:D!

weaver
November 6th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Great news Paul, keep us posted!

pgermond
November 6th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Great news Paul, keep us posted!

Ditto [thumb] I was reading this thread last night and was wondering how things were going.

davids2toys
November 6th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Very good to hear Paul...nothing but up from here hopefully[thumb]

olblu66
November 7th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Great news Paul. Go
James --You can do this.

ralphscott
November 7th, 2011, 02:08 PM
He will remain in our prayers.

Ralph

weaver
November 8th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Where have you been Ralph?

dmswann
November 8th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Paul,

My prayers are that the worst is over and it is continuous improvement from here on. Please keep us updated on how things are going!

Jeff 427
November 9th, 2011, 04:33 AM
It's great to hear the good news Paul!

Master
November 9th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Paul, just checked in and saw the post. I will keep your son in my thoughts and prayers.

eliminator
November 10th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Paul, we hope he has a speedy recovery and Turkey and Gravy are on the menu soon, our prayers are with him.

Slither
January 16th, 2012, 01:25 AM
Well guys, I want to thank each and every one of you for your thoughts and prayers over the last months. It has been a very busy time for us. We are finally out of the woods on this and things are great:banana:! James came home just in time for Turkey (day before), but was still on remote-control for about six weeks, due to complications. We finally got clearance to travel in mid-December, so we loaded up and headed to Grandma's in Central Florida for the rest of the Holidays.

He continues to do very well and we are looking toward his three-month check-up in March... about time for his twelfth birthday. The difference in his heart is amazing, listening to it... so quiet compared to before[thumb]

He is into Mustangs and Cobras big-time, and he is talking about joining me for the first time at the Homecoming this year! I might need to find a co-pilot seat for him;)... I know he would be absolutely wild about that.

Thanks again to you, my friends. I pray that God may richly bless all of you this year.

Naumoff
January 16th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Paul,
it is great to hear that James is doing so good. Sorry for all the tough times you and your family have been going through. Y'all will be in my prayers. May God bless your family and keep them safe and healthy.

davids2toys
January 16th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Absolutely great news Paul. He is a cute kid and was a lot of fun on the phone the other night. Glad he enjoyed the video!
Dave