PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Replica Exhaust

Aggressor
December 14th, 2011, 10:54 PM
A pair of sidepipes arrived at my shop for ceramic coating today. These are from a replica cobra produced by an ex-Nascar racing team. It's workmanship like this that makes me appreciate my Unique more every day. The 4 tube headers neck-down to a round header mounting flange which then .... well here's some photos. I'm still trying to understand the logic of dead ending 1/2 the area of your 4 side pipe tubes with a blocking plate instead of a straight through setup as per Unique. There must also be some reason for the interference and resultant tubulence through the bottleneck. I am still shaking my head trying to figure this one.

- Geary

mkassab
December 15th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Geary... there is NO logic and you're giving the builder too much credit here thinking they knew what they were doing!

Here's my thoughts. Based on the s#!t quality of the welds... this person was clueless and the worst of "do it yourselfers" With no clue or mechanical knowledge/background, their goal was to make a square peg fit into a round hole by the easiest possible means.

OR,

A so called "professional" taking the easy way out.

Mark

weaver
December 15th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Amen Mark!!!

Aggressor
December 15th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Aggreed Mark. By the way-How do you like your Avons?

Alan - I was hoping that you would be checking out the photos. It might just be the source of inspired future upgrades and revisions. Now all I have to do is apply ceramic coating., buff out a finish, and make them look just beautiful.
(A rather tall task I might add)

I have been told by the owner that they were built by the Jocko Maggiacomo racing shop in New York state.
(RE: Bobby Allison crash at Pocono 1988)

Final thought -I wonder how they sound at speed.
- Geary

ljmachguru
December 15th, 2011, 05:51 PM
The one photo of the square tube welded? ..Looks like a chicken has been roosting there for a few days. :eek:

souzape
December 16th, 2011, 02:08 PM
That picture should be in Funk and Wagnalls right next to "booger weld".