PDA

View Full Version : Modern LS or Coyote motor in a Unique

Justin Upchurch
January 11th, 2013, 04:46 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has put a modern LS or Ford Coyote motor in a Unique. What got me thinking about this is the price of fuel injection vs a modern motor. A good FI setup is $3500 to $7000 depending on if you do a single throttle body or the stacks. For $7K you can buy a ready to run crate engine from GM Performance or a 5.0 Coyote from Ford.
I'm not to likely to make this change, I'm just wondering if it can be done.

Justin

diegokid
January 12th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Be warned that you will most likely be flogged for mentioning GM engine in the Cobra. I regret to this day using the FE that was built by someone who knows FEs.

I was told by some Ford friends that the modular engines were rather wide for the Cobra. The LS isn't and is somewhat smaller.

Hind sight is 20/20. I have someone interested in my car and if I do sell it I will build another with the GM plant and screw what anyone else thinks. It's your car do whats best for you.

My 2 cents.

Aggressor
January 12th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Coyote engine would be cool. LS is groovy also but not a choice that I would entertain.

Geary

Jim Harding
January 13th, 2013, 04:29 AM
Although I cringe when I see a GM mill in a Cobra or any Ford bodied car, I still stand by the adage that it's your car, so do it your way. That said, if I was starting a new replica build and considering a GM mill, I'd go for a body of a Cheetah or Corvette Grand Sport. I'm no purist, but I think building a replica should resemble what the "real" ones looked like.

pbrown
January 13th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Cobras aside, I do like the LS package above the Coyote. I still wouldn't put one in a Cobra.

One of the bigger obstacles for either package will probably be the electronic gas peddle.

Justin Upchurch
January 13th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I don't think I would do this right now, but I would be really interested to know if one of these would fit in case I ever wanted to make a major change.

Weaver(s) would one of these fit?

Justin

weaver
January 14th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Who know's, you would be the first installing one in a Unique.

diegokid
January 14th, 2013, 02:51 PM
You DON'T have to use an electric throttle. You can use a cable or sim. fashion. Lots of people have gotten away from the electric throttles. If you decide to run a dizzy, that installs with a front end kit using a, Yep I'm saying it, A Ford 302 dizzy you can use a intake with any FI on top you want.

Or use the factory electric stuff.

eliminator
January 23rd, 2013, 01:18 PM
I think the next one I build will be Fly By Wire Tech from a F-35 Lightning.:banana: